Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HELP! New Fuel Pump broke twice within a year!

Car is 2002 996 TT. I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one in 2013/2 and it broke again on 2013/6 and had it replaced with a brand new pump. Now 6 months later it just broke again, now in the garage...

I did a little search and didn't come up with much. Has anyone had repeated fuel pump failure in their TT? Could the incoming power frying up the pump motors?

Also, the local mechanic said he's had many calls recently with failed fuel pumps in his shop, so he's asking me to post this to see if similar problem is occuring elsewhere...

Thanks a lot for your help!

D.

Wouldn't have anything specifically to do with 2nd gear but, yes, if the fuel system isn't properly delivering fuel then you would experience a "break" or interruptions, especially under heavy load (acceleration). The engine needs properly delivery of fuel to run optimally.

Right. Loren does have a very relevant point. Part has been revised multiple times, makes it less surprising. Should be a free replacement under warranty as stated.

To clarify your question about the fuel system, as I mentioned, this very possibly could be related. Should be no hesitation under load with the 996TT-- quite the opposite.

The biggest issue with the previous version pumps was the ridiculous hose. Mine ruptured multiple times....until I had a custom rupture proof hose made. I don't believe the pump itself is any different. Are you sure the pump is actually bad or is it a bad hose?

Edited by wross996TT

• 3 weeks later...

I left the car in the shop for a week. I want to update on what happened. The shop owner said the fuel pressure valve is 3.8bar at idle. He did however replace the fuel pressure valve. He didn't say why he did that...

He's still unsure if there are other causes leading to the premature pump failures, so he gave me an old, but working pump for now. He didn't want to put in a new one just so it would fail again. I'm driving the car in great fear that it will die on me some where on the road...

I want to check if there's another suggestions or places to check. I'd welcome any comments.

Thanks!!

• Moderators

Is it possible that the mechanic could have mis-installed the pump to cause early failure? The car was driving fine and fuel consumption seems normal...

Rather doubt it as the fuel pump is pretty much a "plug and play" installation.

• 6 months later...

Want to give an update...

Since last Jan, the shop-owner put in an used "C4S" fuel pump into my TT, the pump has been working problem-free. Last month the shop-owner told me that something similar has happened again! A guy had his TT's fuel pump replaced new only to find it break down in less than 6 months. This guy then came to my friend's shop and replaced the pump and to find it break again in less than 4 months! Both repairs, the latest -02 version of the pump has been used...

I had mine replaced twice and they broke in less than a year!

So, the shop-owner asked me to NOT replace the working C4S pump in my TT...

Any one heard of this crazy pump problem???