Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood crest removal - Need suggestions

Hi,

I've removed hood crests in the past on my past Porsches by just using a socket (8mm) over the speed nuts and unscrewing them with no upward pressure.

Well, today I decided to remove the old clear film the PO put on the car. It’s old and in pretty poor condition. It would seem they took the crest off while installing the film so it could be under the crest. My problem is I can't seem to get the nuts to unscrew from the crest. They just turn and turn, but never get looser

Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove the nuts or any tools I could acquire to do it?

Thanks

Artie,  

I wonder if you took a small drift and tapped the end of the stud to maybe push the crest further up on the mounting studs where the nut would be happier.  If the nuts are just spinning then by tapping the studs upwards maybe the nuts would come off.  Have you looked up there to be sure that they're attached with a 10mm nut?  You never know, someone could have used a speed nut?

If memory serves, there are no threads on the studs. Have you tried grabbing the nut with a needle nose plier, pull and turn at the same time?

I already tried this. The problem is, I don't have any needle nose which is narrow enough to fit into the hole and grab the nut at the same time.

Artie,  

I wonder if you took a small drift and tapped the end of the stud to maybe push the crest further up on the mounting studs where the nut would be happier.  If the nuts are just spinning then by tapping the studs upwards maybe the nuts would come off.  Have you looked up there to be sure that they're attached with a 10mm nut?  You never know, someone could have used a speed nut?

May be worth a shot, I'm just concerned about anything I could do which could cause some damage.

So looking at mine (although mine is a turbo), there are two threaded posts.  So I would think you to screw while applying downward (or upward) pressure as apparently the rather flimsy nuts are stripped.

Mine is not threaded and definitely somehow grooved so it won't unscrew. I put a long flat head nail inside of the socket and applied some upward pressure while turning the socket by hand, but it still isn't unscrewing. I may try some additional pressure, but there must be a tool or some kind of locking pliers which will fit through the holes and grab onto the nuts so they can be unscrewed.

Try this. Put one layer of electrical tape inside the socket and push the socket to grab the nut. Then pull on the socket a lttle bit as you turn to unscrew rhe nut. Hopefully the friction of the tape is just enough to grab the nut.

Also these mini plier may fit the holes http://t.harborfreight.com/6-piece-mini-pliers-set-94931.html

The nuts just carve a thread into the soft brass of the crest when they are installed. I usually end up just pulling them off with needle nose pliers.

The nuts are inexpensive but the crests by gone up by a factor of 10x in the last few years.

Yes, that's what I assumed (a groove being carved). I have no issues with destroying the nuts to get them off, but I can't get a good grip on the nuts with the needle nose. At least the needle nose pliers I have. The holes just aren't big enough to get the pliers in there for a good grip.

This is why I've asked about if there were any tool recommendations.

Thanks, for all suggestions and help.

The nuts just carve a thread into the soft brass of the crest when they are installed. I usually end up just pulling them off with needle nose pliers.

The nuts are inexpensive but the crests by gone up by a factor of 10x in the last few years.

Yes, that's what I assumed (a groove being carved). I have no issues with destroying the nuts to get them off, but I can't get a good grip on the nuts with the needle nose. At least the needle nose pliers I have. The holes just aren't big enough to get the pliers in there for a good grip.

This is why I've asked about if there were any tool recommendations.

Thanks, for all suggestions and help.

Here is what you do. You gently slip a thin metal putty knife under the apex of the crest and slide it all the way up to the posts. You are lucky in that you have film on the car. Just using a long 8 mm socket with your fingers gently pries up on the crest while you spin off the nuts. You will have to alternate between the nuts. If you damage the gasket you can get a new one on line. The one weak point on these crests is where the posts are welded into the body. They frequently snap off here. If one does just break off the other one, throw the gasket away and use 3M high strength mounting tape to mount the crest. You cover the back of the crest entirely with tape then trim the tape just inside the edge of the crest and press the crest on. I promise you it will not come off till you want it too.

If you are going to re film the hood use Xpel and cover the whole hood. Fix all the nicks and rub the whole hood out well first.