Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine died while idling at stop light, cranks but won't start, 2

• 1 year later...

Hi all, 

Finally got a new LN intermediate shaft and engine put back together!

Now trying to start the engine and it won’t start, but getting some popping noises and exhaust coming out, like some cylinders are maybe firing. 

Attached is a video of the noise. 

Anyone possibly know what might be going on based on the noises?

IMG_1944.mov

Edited by thatsjeek
Fix video file attachment

Thanks for the update. I've completely forgotten about this thread. The cranking does not sound right at all and I have no idea about the popping noise. Have you verified timing on both banks. Many cases of non-start after rebuild was due to wrong timing...ppl forgot to rotate the crank 360 before timing the other bank. The engine ends up having 2 cylinders on opposite bank going through the same compression stroke and will be hard to crank (in addition to running on only 3 cylinders).

• 3 years later...
On 12/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Ahsai said:

Thanks for the update. I've completely forgotten about this thread. The cranking does not sound right at all and I have no idea about the popping noise. Have you verified timing on both banks. Many cases of non-start after rebuild was due to wrong timing...ppl forgot to rotate the crank 360 before timing the other bank. The engine ends up having 2 cylinders on opposite bank going through the same compression stroke and will be hard to crank (in addition to running on only 3 cylinders).

Alright wow it's really been a while! I got the timing fixed and now got everything back in the car and now it's making a bit of a different noise.

Sharing a video of trying to start in case it sounds familiar to someone.

• No faults on the durametric
  • I did put new gas in, but not sure if there's old gas that is in the fuel lines still that could be causing the problem? 
  • I also got new spark plugs to try that in case the ones in there have gummed up.

Does this cranking noise sound familiar to anyone indicating a known fix?

Thanks in advance!

• Admin
2 hours ago, thatsjeek said:

Alright wow it's really been a while! I got the timing fixed and now got everything back in the car and now it's making a bit of a different noise.

Sharing a video of trying to start in case it sounds familiar to someone.

• No faults on the durametric
  • I did put new gas in, but not sure if there's old gas that is in the fuel lines still that could be causing the problem? 
  • I also got new spark plugs to try that in case the ones in there have gummed up.

Does this cranking noise sound familiar to anyone indicating a known fix?

Thanks in advance!

996-crank-no-start.mov

Sorry you did not attach the video - the link is dead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, hardtailer said:

Perhaps the valves did get bent when the pistons hit them ever so slightly the very moment the drive to the camshaft failed when the sprocket slipped on the IMS?

Curious about this, it would fail a compression test, right? 

On 9/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, JFP in PA said:

It is turning over unevenly, like it has compression some of the time and not others.  Are you absolutely sure the cam timing is correct?

Pulled the engine and re-set the timing, I double checked before putting it back in.  I put some fresh gas in and went to try to start and the cranking sound is identical to the video and still will not start.

No fault codes on durametric and battery is newer and has been kept on the trickle charger.  Wondering what other diagnostics or other things I can try. 

Might be calling uncle soon and look to sell as a project to someone that will bring a fresh perspective and energy, but I do have a little bit more fight in me to get this running 🤞

It wouldn't necessarily fail a compression test but I'd expect lower numbers compared to cilinders with valves that shut properly.

However, a leakdown test will let you pinpoint where the leak is (intake valves, piston rings, exhaust valves or a combo of these).