Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

02 sensor problem

I have a 986 boxster 2.5 it had 4 codes to do with 02 sensors bank 1+2 ahead of cats so I replaced with universal 4 wire sensors now I have 2 codes p0130 + p0150 02 sensors ahead of cats signal implausible checked for air leaks. It runs rough on idle and when revs drop when slowing down it cuts out. Any ideas? Thanks aarron

• Moderators

I have a 986 boxster 2.5 it had 4 codes to do with 02 sensors bank 1+2 ahead of cats so I replaced with universal 4 wire sensors now I have 2 codes p0130 + p0150 02 sensors ahead of cats signal implausible checked for air leaks. It runs rough on idle and when revs drop when slowing down it cuts out. Any ideas? Thanks aarron

Both codes can also be caused by wiring problems, and as you used "universal" fit sensors, I would start there.   I would also have to say that we never use this type of sensor in the shop both because of the probability of having this type of issue, and because the correct fit units do not cost that much more.

• Moderators

Today I replaced the 02 sensors with some direct fit not universal and still have the same problem

The codes you are throwing P0130 and P0150 are both short circuit codes, indicating a problem in the wiring for the sensors.  Nearly every time we get a car in with universal sensors throwing these codes, it has to do with the way the wiring was connected to make the aftermarket sensors fit and work.  At this juncture, you need to start tracing the sensor harnesses and checking each of the individual sensor leads for a short or break using a multimeter.  I would also can the harness looking for any damage (burnt by heat, abraded, insulation cut, etc.)

They were fme but had factory crimped plugs on I have checked wires and all look ok so think it must be something like the dme. Does anyone know what one it is? Or anything else it could be

Az564

Your codes mean there is a short circuit. Surprising that it is in both banks simultaneously. That may mean the wiring fault is some distance away from the O2 sensors ? You need to use a wiring diagram or physically trace the wires back from the O2 sensor all the way to the DME to find the short circuit.

This is tedious,slow work with a multi-meter. Throwing parts at it won't help.Muddling the connections for each sensor would also cause a problem.

Start by asking for a link to a wiring diagram?

Here is a useful article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/19-FUEL-02_Sensor/19-FUEL-02_Sensor.htm

Here are the correct parts :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/supertech/catalog.cgi?action=frameset&return-url=/cgi-bin/supertech/catalog.cgi%3Faction%3Dframeback%26page%3D526&catalog-url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pelicanparts.com%2Fcatalog%2FSuperCat%2F1048%2FPOR_1048_FULEMI_pg1.htm%3Futm_source%3DSuperTech%23item0

Hope this helps you.

The quickest way is to get a scanner that can read the O2 sensor voltage (any generic OBDII will do). Watch the signals of all 4 sensors so you can see what the DME sees and doesn't like about.

Could some rodent have gotten into the wiring harness?

Is the car completely original/OEM/stock? What recent work/changes have been done?  What sensor parts are now installed (part number)? Air filter?  Exhaust? Any sign of an AOS problem?

First question is, are the codes you had before you replaced the sensors different than the codes you have now.  It sounds like you've replaced the sensors twice and still have the original problem.  If you have a short circuit in the cable between the ecu and the plug for the O2 sensors, then replacing sensors won't do any good.  The cables go around the exhaust and up to the DME, so the most likely thing is that they have come in contact with something hot that has melted the insulation off and shorted them together.  The other possibility is that they are pinched inbetween suspension or engine mount parts.  I'd get it up on a lift and get a flash light and take a look at the harnesses going back up into the car above where the sensors plug into them.  I'd guess they go straight up and then over to the driver's side and into a bundle going back to the DME in the trunk.