Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What are the costs of buying an old porsche boxter (1999-2001 @ $

Buying and owning

What are the costs of buying an old porsche boxter (1999-2001 @ $8 - $9,000) im 24,?

---------------------

Buy vcds 12.12 for VW Audi bSeat Skoda .we have the following version
English 12.12(paypal, DHL/Fedex/EMS)
Read more: http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-4708-VAGCOM+1212+VCDS1212+HEX+USB+CAN+Interface.html

Edited by shawnbem

As with any car that old (17-15 years!!!) there are risks and Porsche parts aren't particularly cheap and expert labor gets priced for the ones who have the $125k cars. You don't say the mileage of the cars you are looking at.

Price the tires just to give you a peak at how this isn't a Corolla.

Wonderful cars, owned 2, mine were very economical to own. But there are risks and you should have money in your pocket for multi-k$ expenses should they be necessary. (Owned 2 sports cars at your age, both disasters that cost me a lot of money.)

Condition, location, season, records, options, color.  All affect price.  Find a motivated seller who has cared for the car and has a record of servicing things even beyond frequent oil changes so the car you buy you won't have to pay for those things.

Of those years, I'd choose the '99 even though it has the smaller engine.

There are well over 20 modes of failure for the M96 engine. IMSB is just one. The IMSB risk varies with the year -the double row is much lower failure risk than single row.Much more on FAQ's on Rennlist.

Ensure you have a big slush fund for expensive repairs.

I like the idea of buying from a good customer of your local Porsche Indie mechanic. Start your search there?

I'm about $9k CDN in so far fixing my engine that had scored cylinders (1 of the other 20 reasons, lol).

listen to this guy. save up for repairs. sucks less when you know the funds are there to fix whatever issue you will run into.

A very pertinent consideration is how much of the work can you do yourself? Once you're past the initial cost of buying the car, most people are caught off guard by the maintenance costs. An oil change is $90 at home and takes 15 minutes. It's $45 more than the jeep because she takes almost two big jugs of oil. Dealership quoted me (the fools) $250, and I'd guess it'd take 2 hours. That pretty much applied to everything on the car. The parts are more expensive than your average vehicle, and labor costs can get out of hand. If you're handy and you have the time you can fix just about anything with a little help from the forums and YouTube. It would be good, when you buy one, that you have alternate transportation available so you don't get stranded.

My first boxster's water pump blew the second week I had it. Today, I could fix that in an afternoon. At the time I had to pay the dealership $1200 to fix it.

That being said, other than a bad tank of gas, my first boxster was very economical as my daily driver. Good gas mileage, and the thing ran like a champ well over 100k miles. I probably changed the oil twice a year and back tires once a year. That's about $500-600. I spent a lot more, but that was not routine maintenance.

A very pertinent consideration is how much of the work can you do yourself? Once you're past the initial cost of buying the car, most people are caught off guard by the maintenance costs. An oil change is $90 at home and takes 15 minutes. It's $45 more than the jeep because she takes almost two big jugs of oil. Dealership quoted me (the fools) $250, and I'd guess it'd take 2 hours. That pretty much applied to everything on the car. The parts are more expensive than your average vehicle, and labor costs can get out of hand. If you're handy and you have the time you can fix just about anything with a little help from the forums and YouTube. It would be good, when you buy one, that you have alternate transportation available so you don't get stranded.

My first boxster's water pump blew the second week I had it. Today, I could fix that in an afternoon. At the time I had to pay the dealership $1200 to fix it.

This is exactly right.  If you can follow a manual, and are good at mechanical things, then these can be great cars, and very economical.  I am twice your age, but, I cut my teeth on little sports cars.  My first car at age 17 was a 1967 MGB Roadster, and at the time, the parts supply was very cheap for those cars, but, the parts were horrible.  So, I was constantly fixing what either broke, or fell off.  The parts for these vintage cars have gotten much better now, and so, I just fix it and forget it.  The Porsche Boxster is very similar except parts are expensive.  My point is, if I hadn't learned everything I did when I was young, and constantly working on that little sports car, I might not have gained the knowledge that I did.  I was never afraid to tackle fixing some people, and I'm patient and extremely methodical and you have to have a way of logically thinking.  If you have that, then go for it.

I can't speak to labor prices myself, as I fix everything myself.  The internet and this site here is great for INFORMATION.  I try and devour as much as I can.  If you have the right info, I, myself, anyway, don't shy away from tackling an issue.  Back in the early 80s, there was zero internet, and knowledge was gained in the first person.  I think it is much easier to own an older sports car now, simply because sites like this exist.

I myself like fixing and tinkering, and this is my 3rd Porsche, so, I've seen quite a bit in 20 years of owning them.  If you can fix the small stuff, and have the patience and know how, these are very economical.  If you have to take it to a mechanic every single time your dash board shows a CEL, then, you might want to go with something else.

GOOD LUCK!!!!  

Almost all cars break down and there's a lot of doom about.  I also own two Toyotas and a Merc.  The Toyotas are bomb proof, but if you read the horror stories on the web you might be put off buying one. I have found  my 911 to be reasonably reliable in three years of use.  I had to spend a few thousand after buying it to fix things that previous owners should have repaired, but that's just my being pedantic.  Had I not spent the money, the car would still be driveable and safe.

All cars require maintenance and if you learn to do a few things yourself it can save a lot of money.  The 911/996 is very easy to service and I assume the Boxster would be the same.    

I think the problems come for third generation owners.  First owners get the car dealer serviced and this probably happens to second owners.  After about 6 years the cars enter the price bracket of the person who likes to be seen in a Porsche but is perhaps a bit less fussy about maintenance.  By the time the fourth owner gets it there will be quite a few things that need doing.  I was the fourth owner of my 911/996 and since owning it I have done the following outside normal servicing and tyres:

Air con rad, re-charging air con, new coolant reservoir and cap, suspension drop links on anti-roll bar ends, two exhaust boxes, new plugs and coil packs, air oil separator, oil filler tube, repairing leak on alloy coolant tube, putting the right size wheels on, serpentine belt, front apron off to clean coolant rads, new battery, cleaning bulkhead drain holes, fixing rear seats, repairing sagging front seat, adjusting headlights and replacing a few rusty hose clamps.  That's all I can remember just now. I know this sounds a lot, but only the leak on the coolant tube was critical.

Hope you find a good one and they are about.

OP:

The most important question for you is this:  do you work on your own cars?

The Boxster is not "rocket science".  It's just a car like any other.  Some things are a royal pain e.g. changing the spark plugs.  But pulling the tranny to change the clutch isn't more difficult than on my 1996 Miata - I've now done both.

My 2000 boxster has been very economical up to 130k the only issue i had besides normal maintenance was a water pump that went within a year of replacing and was under warranty, motor mounts etc all normal ware just my 2 cents