Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Approx cost of a RMS job for a 2002 - 996 ?

Just when I thought everything was ok with my 2002 -911- 996 , I found out the RMS is leaking, I always thought it was from somewhere else.  It's hardly anything, a few very small drops of oil on the garage floor, been doing it for years, never the less it needs to be replaced I'm told. :unsure:

Approximately what would the cost of replacing it , dealer cost, and an independent ? And with , and without a clutch package, as I'm told the clutch should probably be ok ? Although it's a 2002, the car only has 25,000 miles on it.

Strange, but when I told one of the local independent guys that it was a very small amount of oil, every week even, he said  " ok when you get around to it, no rush, no big deal, just check the level every once in a while "   Yet another poster on here mentioned somewhere on this site, that doom and gloom could happen when driving it ?

It is a leak, a very small one, and apparently this leak has occurred for several years, and again I was told " 911's always leak a bit, it's a Porsche "  < a service manager told me that at Orlando Porsche years ago ?

So is it ok to drive it with this minor leak, or could it be engine blown, and gloom and doom, as some one pointed out here ? And how much is the usual cost to repair/replace the RMS ?     :help:  Thanks Dave.

There's no way to know that it's (only) the RMS without removing the Transmission. There's also a possibility that the leak is from the IMSB, which is where the "gloom & doom" comes from. Basically what it comes down to is this: RMS minor leak = no big deal, just make sure your oil level remains in the proper spot (on the dipstick and the dashboard monitor). IMSB leaking = potential for disaster...(have you been checking the oil for debris when you change the oil?) The bearing should be pulled and checked/replaced. If the bearing is undamaged, you can get away with replacing it with one of several options (you do the research and decide which is best option for you). If the bearing is damaged, consider yourself A) lucky that the motor hasn't grenade yet (B) Unlucky because now you should tear the engine down to check for further debris/damage, clean out, re-build/re-furb... = Big $... Good luck

9 to 10 hours labor and a $10 part.

Indy $90-150/hr.   Dealership $175-$300/hr. differs by city and geographical area.

I would keep oil topped off, have your cam angles checked with a Durametric (+/- 6 degrees) and next oil change have oil analyzed. If it truly is a small RMS leak, I would wait until a few more miles and then replace along with clutch, IMS,RMS, etc.

If RMS starts leaking more, you also run the risk of oil saturation on the clutch pressure plate in which case you'll need to replace the clutch sooner anyway.

Edited by kbrandsma

As dporto said: have it done.

Mine started with the same story. RMS replaced at 30k and 49k. IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k.

If I would have to do it again I would have replaced the RMS and the IMSB. Cost: approx. $2500. While the tranny is out I would replace everything else which is suspicious or soon due with that car such as:

- the clutch as mine was done by 35k (basically only parts cost plus some labor)

- air oil separator (mine was done at 51k). I replaced it myself but this is a big PITA. Dealer quoted me $1800. Part cost are $135.

- spark plugs (can be done yourself but if the engine is out it's a breeze)

Maybe there are other things you should have replaced while the engine is out. Do some research. The most expensive part is the 6 hours they charge you to get the engine in and out. so I would replace everything I could. I don't know how much miles you drive a year. I do approx. 1-2k so I think in years rather than in miles in regards of replacing parts.

Mine started with the same story. RMS replaced at 30k and 49k. IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k.

If I would have to do it again I would have replaced the RMS and the IMSB. Cost: approx. $2500. While the tranny is out I would replace everything else which is suspicious or soon due with that car such as:

- the clutch as mine was done by 35k (basically only parts cost plus some labor)

- air oil separator (mine was done at 51k). I replaced it myself but this is a big PITA. Dealer quoted me $1800. Part cost are $135.

Maybe there are other things you should have replaced while the engine is out. Do some research. The most expensive part is the 6 hours they charge you to get the engine in and out. so I would replace everything I could. I don't know how much miles you drive a year. I do approx. 1-2k so I think in years rather than in miles in regards of replacing parts.

Thanks Varianti for your input, I think I'll take your advice. Apart from changing oil, air filters, belts, I'm not that skilled, so I'll have my indi tech do all that you mentioned in your reply above.

Question though, the "approx cost $2500 "  to quote you , is that to do ALL you mention above ? That is, the clutch kit, air oil separator, spark plugs, and of course the infamous RMS & IMSB ?  Then you say " IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k."  ?  :eek:

I'm a bit confused there, what exactly do you mean , and how does it jump from $2500 to $17 K  ($17,000.00 ) Did the engine blow ?  So , I assume your saying I can do it all , and not have to worry about the RMS & the IMSB along with the other stuff for about $2,500.00 is that correct ? Please clarify ?  Thanks, Cheers Dave. :thankyou:

Thanks Varianti for your input, I think I'll take your advice. Apart from changing oil, air filters, belts, I'm not that skilled, so I'll have my indi tech do all that you mentioned in your reply above.

Question though, the "approx cost $2500 "  to quote you , is that to do ALL you mention above ? That is, the clutch kit, air oil separator, spark plugs, and of course the infamous RMS & IMSB ?  Then you say " IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k."  ?  :eek:

I'm a bit confused there, what exactly do you mean , and how does it jump from $2500 to $17 K  ($17,000.00 ) Did the engine blow ?  So , I assume your saying I can do it all , and not have to worry about the RMS & the IMSB along with the other stuff for about $2,500.00 is that correct ? Please clarify ?  Thanks, Cheers Dave. :thankyou:

Please let me know, I hit the wrong button ref "quote" above , my post starts where it says Thanks Varianti above. Wow I got shocked when it went from $2500 to $17 K  :help:

Question though, the "approx cost $2500 "  to quote you , is that to do ALL you mention above ? That is, the clutch kit, air oil separator, spark plugs, and of course the infamous RMS & IMSB ?  Then you say " IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k."  ?   :eek:

I'm a bit confused there, what exactly do you mean , and how does it jump from $2500 to $17 K  ($17,000.00 ) Did the engine blow ?  So , I assume your saying I can do it all , and not have to worry about the RMS & the IMSB along with the other stuff for about $2,500.00 is that correct ? Please clarify ?  Thanks, Cheers Dave.

Question though, the "approx cost $2500 "  to quote you , is that to do ALL you mention above ? That is, the clutch kit, air oil separator, spark plugs, and of course the infamous RMS & IMSB ?  Then you say " IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k."  ?   :eek:

I'm a bit confused there, what exactly do you mean , and how does it jump from $2500 to $17 K  ($17,000.00 ) Did the engine blow ?  So , I assume your saying I can do it all , and not have to worry about the RMS & the IMSB along with the other stuff for about $2,500.00 is that correct ? Please clarify ?  Thanks, Cheers Dave.

The quote of $17,000 takes my breath away. That's 50% more than repair (cracked head) and rebuild of my engine cost ... and the work included the latest RMS fix along with too many other improvements to mention here.

WOW.

Yes I was shocked as well,that's why I was wondering exactly what "Varianti " meant when he wrote this below : So is it about $2,500.00 to do it all, or $17 K ? 

" Mine started with the same story. RMS replaced at 30k and 49k. IMSB broke at 51k. Costs: $17k.

If I would have to do it again I would have replaced the RMS and the IMSB. Cost: approx. $2500. While the tranny is out I would replace everything else which is suspicious or soon due with that car such as:

- spark plugs (can be done yourself but if the engine is out it's a breeze) " 

He said IMS broke then it cost him $17k. Most likely he meant an engine rebuild or used engine

Hope so  WOW $$$ ?

So I'm assuming to do the RMS and the IMSB, clutch kit etc, it's "about" $2,500.00 with an indy, that right ? That's what I was trying to find out originally ? Thanks guys.

Edited by britdave

Sorry for the confusion but as Ahsai wrote correctly: the IMS broke and that caused the bill of $17k. They took the engine apart and the only parts they changed were the compression rings of the pistons. $13k in labor. They said the IMS deteriorated and they had to check the cylinders for wear and hidden dirt from the IMS break. A replacement engine was quoted at $28k total cost to me.

The only point I wanted to make is to have changed whatever you can proactively as the in and out costs of the engine is going to cost you around $1600.Every additional work to be done while the engine is out is easy and doesn't cost much. An example is the AOS. Part costs are $140. To take it in and out while the engine is out is approximately 10-15 min so roughly $30 in labor. Total $170 vs $1800 if you have to remove the engine. 

You might want to get your motor serial number to determine if the original engine has already been replaced once before.  Renntech Contributing Member Mdragon went to upgrade her 2003 996 IMS only to find out that the original engine was already replaced by Porsche and the replacement engine had the newer IMS that can't be upgraded. 

I still recommend to keep the oil topped off, have your cam angles checked with a Durametric (+/- 6 degrees) and next oil change have oil analyzed. A failing IMS with have Cam anglr problems and oil anaylsis will also be a telltale sign.  If it truly is a small RMS leak, I would wait until a few more miles and then replace along with clutch, IMS,RMS, etc.

If RMS starts leaking more, you also run the risk of oil saturation on the clutch pressure plate in which case you'll need to replace the clutch sooner anyway.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I'm a 911 newbie, just acquired a 2000 Millenium 996 with 50K miles.   I've read so much about the IMS and RMS that I'm stressing.  was originally considering the monitoring device, but have just about decided to go ahead and have the ceramic aftermarket just done (with RMS, might as well).  Looks to be just under $3K.  Feels like a lot, but I don't want this detracting from my enjoyment of the car.

Thoughts?