Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Explosion of Warning Lights 3 Minutes After Its Back From Dealer

2001 C4 Cab 79k miles- So after 3 years of doing my own work, I got lazy and was tied up on a project rebuilding a 74 Honda CB750,and brought my baby to the dealer for new coolant expansion tank, and a/c condenser, and radiator cooling fan, and vacuum canister, and took the beating.  They did not want me to take the loaner on a road trip to Acadia so I arranged alternate car for the trip - so they were really nice and threw in an amazing full detail job. They really went hog wild - the engine compartment looks brand new. I think they even did the headlight lenses. That was the good news. The bad news was that after 3 minutes of driving I see the battery warning light flicker, then come on fully, the AC cuts out, and the warning lights go crazy, the ones that stayed on were: PSM, ABS, Battery, and the Voltmeter was at 16 (it is normally starting at 13 then gets to 12 when hot - ground strap?). After a driving a few minutes to the dealer the volts were 11.0 or so, and improved to 11.8 when I turned off a/c.   No CEL. Engine runs fine but A/C and fans cut in and out. I brought it back to the dealer and am waiting to here something like "you need a new alternator", but I suspect whatever spraying/power washing that made the engine spotless could be a culprit? My first thought was battery terminal connection, but I tightened up positive - not fixed. Should have tried negative too, but forgot. any thoughts? thanks

Edited by PorscheServiceThen529Plan

I hope the battery terminals are tight as that's an essential resistance component in the circuit when the alternator is charging.  When it's taken out of circuit on a running engine voltage spikes can occur which sometimes result in serious damage.  We had a similar incident on a Merc when someone forgot to tighten the battery terminal and the voltage spike fried a component in the ECU.  

Just talked to dealer - the alternator failed. Since it happened right when they were in there, they just put in a new alternator no charge today. I was happy to see that there was no haggling required. When I win the Mega Millions ticket that I bought today I will definately buy a new 911 from them. thanks

So it picked the car up from the dealer and they fixed everything, except brand new problem as soon as I start it up in the dealer's lot: the climate control screen has gone haywire, there is a yellow half moon on the left side of screen and the rest of the screen is totally illegible. When I brought it in the screen was fine. I saw the voltage at 16v briefly (maybe the regulator was toast), could it have been fried by that or more likely some damage done when replacing condenser/working on it? I know these go on our cars, but they must have done something to it I think. any thoughts? thanks

• Moderators

So it picked the car up from the dealer and they fixed everything, except brand new problem as soon as I start it up in the dealer's lot: the climate control screen has gone haywire, there is a yellow half moon on the left side of screen and the rest of the screen is totally illegible. When I brought it in the screen was fine. I saw the voltage at 16v briefly (maybe the regulator was toast), could it have been fried by that or more likely some damage done when replacing condenser/working on it? I know these go on our cars, but they must have done something to it I think. any thoughts? thanks

If you hit 16 volts, I would not be surprised to find some electronics damage.

I think your thinking is right, they got water in the alternator and it fried the voltage regulator, then that in turn fried your HVAC display.  Hopefully, a replacement will end your saga.