Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Troubleshooting a no crank issue; this code came up on the durametric alarm module section.

My alldata documentation goes on to state;

Fault Code 12 

Wrong door lock module 

Diagnostic conditions 

• Vehicle is locked or unlocked

Possible cause of fault 

• Wrong door lock installed

NOTE: 

• USA vehicles do not have the 'Door secured' function.
  • Fault code 12 is set if the wrong door locks are installed.

Affected terminals 
Plug A, pins 5 and 28

Diagnosis/troubleshooting 

Work Instruction:

Replace Drivers' / Passenger's Door lock.

What does this even mean ? An entirely defective door lock module ? Did a previous owner install one from another car ? I don't really understand because the troubleshooting step is just one possible simple solution.

I will carefully test all operation of the door lock and update with another post. 

Turns out that the signal path from pin 5 and 28 from alarm module to each door's wiring connector is good. There is no door locking going on and I believe that both lock modules are faulty. It is not completely out of plausibility as I have seen someone else online report both driver/passenger lock modules can be broken simultaneously. 

I will need to get a 8mm triple square driver to remove the lock modules and after I will take them apart to inspect for failure.

Edited by aureliusmaxed

So after doing some tests on the door locks here's what I found. I unplugged each connector to the lock module one at a time and tested for resistances between the 

'CL MOTOR' and the common, as well individually the 'SAFE MOTOR' and common. I managed to do a direct test to the modules but I just ended up by causing the passenger side door to lock and now it won't unlock. when i applied voltage to the cl motor on the drivers side, I had a motor activation but the door didn't lock. still not getting any action by using the inside lock switch button but the key fob is making the lock modules make a lock/unlock noise.

right door resistance of motors

cl motor, alarm module connector I, pin 19 and II, pin 3; 19.5 ohm

safe motor alarm module connector II, pin 9 and II, pin 3: 32.3 ohm 

left door resistance of motors

cl motor alarm module connector I, pin 19 and II, pin 3; 24.3 ohm

safe motor connector II, pin 9 and II, pin 3; 4.7 ohm

there's an obvious issue with the left door safe motor.  it seems to be unusually low resistance as the right motor measures over 30 ohms.

furthermore, I have cleared codes and re-run a 'shorts test' and there are no fault codes except one for the alarm module;

Fault Codes  
 47:
Control locking synchronization
Occurance Counter: 1

I checked the all data troubleshooting steps for fault 47 and determined the issue to be the lock control units, both passenger and driver side. i will have to buy a 8mm triple square driver to remove the lock modules but once I remove them I will take them apart and inspect/test for physical faults like open solder joints and attempt a repair. if no repairs can be made I will order one for each door and have them installed and re-test the system. 

So after doing some tests on the door locks here's what I found. I unplugged each connector to the lock module one at a time and tested for resistances between the 

'CL MOTOR' and the common, as well individually the 'SAFE MOTOR' and common. I managed to do a direct test to the modules but I just ended up by causing the passenger side door to lock and now it won't unlock. when i applied voltage to the cl motor on the drivers side, I had a motor activation but the door didn't lock. still not getting any action by using the inside lock switch button but the key fob is making the lock modules make a lock/unlock noise.

right door resistance of motors

cl motor, alarm module connector I, pin 19 and II, pin 3; 19.5 ohm

safe motor alarm module connector II, pin 9 and II, pin 3: 32.3 ohm 

left door resistance of motors

cl motor alarm module connector I, pin 19 and II, pin 3; 24.3 ohm

safe motor connector II, pin 9 and II, pin 3; 4.7 ohm

there's an obvious issue with the left door safe motor.  it seems to be unusually low resistance as the right motor measures over 30 ohms.

furthermore, I have cleared codes and re-run a 'shorts test' and there are no fault codes except one for the alarm module;

Fault Codes  
 47:
Control locking synchronization
Occurance Counter: 1

I checked the all data troubleshooting steps for fault 47 and determined the issue to be the lock control units, both passenger and driver side. i will have to buy a 8mm triple square driver to remove the lock modules but once I remove them I will take them apart and inspect/test for physical faults like open solder joints and attempt a repair. if no repairs can be made I will order one for each door and have them installed and re-test the system. 

I took apart the drivers' door lock module and re-flow soldered all the joints. I also tested operation of the two motors and all 5 microswitches tested good. 

After taking apart each door lock module passenger/driver I took them apart and tested all the microswitches, motors, examined for physical damage and re-freshed each solder pads. Now after re-connecting the durametric the same problem occured. Non-starting, the locks will not function. I have checked the central locking switch, the path of current from the alarm module to the lock modules. Now all that is left is these two of four options;

Incorrect country coding
Short circuit to ground/open circuit in wiring between the alarm system control module, central locking switch or door locks
Door lock (driver's/passenger's) faulty
Control module faulty

incorrect country coding and a faulty control module. what is most likely is a incorrect country coding on the control module. i'm not sure how to test for this on the durametric but it's almost the only plausible option at this point. the car is japan spec and left hand drive, not usa spec. i think the porsche dealer sold the owner a alarm control module with usa coding.

when i hit the lock activation in durametric the door locks make noise but don't actually lock. when the key is used to lock the driver's door it locks, and arms the car. 

Just now after clearing fault codes and running a short test once again, durametric comes up with zero fault codes. 

I'm getting a fault code

P1602:
Supply voltage Open circuit

on the DME however, and I have confirmed that I am getting voltage to this wire into the DME> 

update: after resetting codes again, turning on/off the ingition I'm no longer getting any codes. everything is clear.

Edited by aureliusmaxed

• Admin
30 minutes ago, aureliusmaxed said:

Just now after clearing fault codes and running a short test once again, durametric comes up with zero fault codes. 

I'm getting a fault code

P1602:
Supply voltage Open circuit

on the DME however, and I have confirmed that I am getting voltage to this wire into the DME> 

P1602 Terminal 30 interrupted

Possible cause of fault:

- Fuses B1, F6
- Wiring
- Tiptronic control module

Sometimes you also get this if the battery has been disconnected.

1 minute ago, Loren said:

P1602 Terminal 30 interrupted

Possible cause of fault:

- Fuses B1, F6
- Wiring
- Tiptronic control module

Sometimes you also get this if the battery has been disconnected.

sorry i forgot to update. after clearing codes and running several times, i'm getting zero error codes now. non locking and non cranking.

i think it's the alarm module that was programmed for USA/Canada when infact it's domestic/rest of world car since it has the Z code in the VIN. 

i will  be consulting with the owner and ecu doctors in florida to see if they can take in the computers and have them re-programmed.

• 4 months later...

UPDATED: the alarm module had to be coded for european/domestic body style. the DME, key and alarm module were all sent to ECU doctors in Florida. Although they failed to follow my specific written instructions in programming the alarm module the first time, they accepted the return and sent back the package with no charge once it was properly set up.