Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery replacement ofr 996 4S 2004

Does anyone know if I can replace on my 996 4S model 2004 an acid battery MOLL with P/N: 99961108020 with one of the following AGM models:

1. Banner Running Bull 58001 AGM
  2. Banner Running Bull 58001 AGM Porsche OEM with P/N: 99961108012

In fact my Porsche dealer told me that this is not possible as it could break the alternator !!!

As I don't believe this is true, hope someone can help to confirm my assumption.

Kind Regards

Liberato 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, solarij said:

And also power chargers for acid and AMG batteries are different

The car's charging system is fully capable of charging an AGM battery, as are most battery maintainers and chargers.  AGM batteries charge at a very slightly higher finishing voltage than a flooded cell battery, but nearly all chargers will get them to full charge, it will just take a bit longer.

Huh.  FWIW I have been using Sears Diehard AGM batteries in my 99 C2 for 10 years.  The first one lasted 5 years, then replaced with equivalent.  I've never had any problems with charging, regulator or alternator problems.  I don't know what difference there may be with a 2004 vs. my 99, but I do not see why a quality AGM battery would not work.  I also run an Optima Red Top AGM battery in my wife's 2007 Mini and again, never had any problems.

Seems logical that an AGM would work, but what is the cost comparison and cost effectiveness re traditional acid batteries?

What's the actual expected life of an AGM?  I put in a new Interstate about every 15k, and use a trickle charger if I'm not driving the car for more that a week or so.

Edited by judgejon

I would go for the  biggest conventional battery that you get into the battery compartment.  There are many reasonably priced conventional batteries about with 4 or 5 year warranties that will do the job. As others have said, keep it on charge when left for more than a few days.

One of the main advantages of absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries is their potential to be used at various angles and maintain their output characteristics. This is not really a necessary requirement in a conventional vehicle on normal roads.  Although it could be useful in a military vehicle or quad bike that might get up ended occasionally or perhaps a tracked vehicle frequently travelling on steep inclines.

H   

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Hilux2400 said:

I would go for the  biggest conventional battery that you get into the battery compartment.  There are many reasonably priced conventional batteries about with 4 or 5 year warranties that will do the job. As others have said, keep it on charge when left for more than a few days.

One of the main advantages of absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries is their potential to be used at various angles and maintain their output characteristics. This is not really a necessary requirement in a conventional vehicle on normal roads.  Although it could be useful in a military vehicle or quad bike that might get up ended occasionally or perhaps a tracked vehicle frequently travelling on steep inclines.

H   

The biggest advantages of AGM technology are their vibration resistance (a major battery killer, particularly in cars with stiffer suspensions), deep cycling recovery capabilities, superior cold cranking, longevity, and total lack of corrosion, which is critical on Porsche's due the battery locations.  We have customers that are regularly seeing  2X life expectancies with AGM batteries, with absolutely no signs of any corrosion in the battery area.  Their ability to be mounted in any position is a neat feature, but one that is rarely used; but their other capabilities are something owners can utilize every day.

17 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

The biggest advantages of AGM technology are their vibration resistance (a major battery killer, particularly in cars with stiffer suspensions), deep cycling recovery capabilities, superior cold cranking, longevity, and total lack of corrosion, which is critical on Porsche's due the battery locations.  We have customers that are regularly seeing  2X life expectancies with AGM batteries, with absolutely no signs of any corrosion in the battery area.  Their ability to be mounted in any position is a neat feature, but one that is rarely used; but their other capabilities are something owners can utilize every day.

Thanks JFP that's very interesting and not something I knew about or had even considered.  I thought that mainly AGM's were developed for multi-angle applications. 

I wonder how long it will be before we see very small light weight Li-ion batteries in cars.  I have an emergency jump starter which has Li-ion batteries and it's hand held in size.

H

Edited by Hilux2400
spelling

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Hilux2400 said:

Thanks JFP that's very interesting and not something I knew about or had even considered.  I thought that mainly AGM's were developed for multi-angle applications. 

I wonder how long it will be before we see very small light weight Li-ion batteries in cars.  I have an emergency jump starter which has Li-ion batteries and it's hand held in size.

H

Lithium based batteries will not quickly spread into the SLI (starting, lighting, ignition) applications for two profound reasons: The exsisting recycling chains mandated by the EPA cannot recycled lithium based batteries as lithium poisons lead and makes it useless for batteries, which is by far the largest application for recovered lead.  That means lithium SLI batteries would require a totallly separate recovery system, which is not economically feasible. Lithium based SLI batteries are expensive, making them unattractive replacements in a mareket where car owners tend to show very low price elasticity (read most will buy the cheapest substitutes they can find).