Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1 hour ago, paul29 said:

Deilenburger : What model of icarscan do you use and which software version.?

It's Don Eilenberger..

Basically http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-Launch+X431+iCarScan+Bluetooth+Diagnostic+Scanner+for+Android.html - although I ordered mine over a year ago. I'm using the Android based software. I haven't heard from anyone trying to use the iPhone based software yet.  As far as the Porsche version - whatever was the latest download.

1 hour ago, paul29 said:

Don: Thank you, I have a X431 R and a Durametric , looks like I may need another electronic gadget. I would like to see the service level on my Cayenne;s transfer case lube prior to changing it.

I reset mine to 0 when I changed the oil. I should check it again and see how it's changed. If you buy the ICarScan - to reset the TC  oil use/wear numbers - the engine can't be running, but the ignition must be on. That fooled me for a bit. Got a communications error message when I went to reset it. Once I turned the engine off (leaving ignition on) - it reported "Success" - and the numbers were reset.

I'd also love to see other people's numbers before changing -- especially anyone experiencing problems.

14 hours ago, deilenberger said:

It's Don Eilenberger..

Basically http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-Launch+X431+iCarScan+Bluetooth+Diagnostic+Scanner+for+Android.html - although I ordered mine over a year ago. I'm using the Android based software. I haven't heard from anyone trying to use the iPhone based software yet.  As far as the Porsche version - whatever was the latest download.

Got mine but it doesn't want to let me register it with the serial and verification code they sent me.

Adding a few data points from another forum - dunno if he's (CarGuyNVA) a member here, I don't believe Greenwich07 is:

Year      Model       Mileage       Location    AT/MT    Fluid             Remedy     ForumUserName      FIX WAS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012      V6           105,000       TX, USA     MT       Raveonl TF0870     Y       ChrisFu                     Fluid Change
2012      V6             40,000       CA, USA     AT       Porsche OEM          Y       Steph280                  Fluid Change
2011      CTT           93,700       IL, USA      AT       Ravenol TF0870      Y       pastorom                   Fluid Change
2012      CTT           72,000       NJ USA      AT       Porsche - 63            Y       deilenberger              Fluid Change

2012      CTT            45,300      MD  USA    AT       Porsche OEM         Y        BweSteve                  New XFerCase

2011      CTT            31,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            61,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      CS              30,000      London GB  ?        Porsche OEM          Y        Greenwich07            New XFerCase (Warranty)

Note that the bottom 4 did not get the oil changed to see if that would fix the cases - they were warranty cases (CPO) so they just got new XFerCases per CPO warranty.

Edited by deilenberger

sAnother data point from another forum:

Year      Model       Mileage       Location    AT/MT    Fluid             Remedy     ForumUserName      FIX WAS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012      V6           105,000       TX, USA     MT       Raveonl TF0870     Y       ChrisFu                     Fluid Change
2012      V6             40,000       CA, USA     AT       Porsche OEM          Y       Steph280                  Fluid Change
2011      CTT           93,700       IL, USA      AT       Ravenol TF0870      Y       pastorom                   Fluid Change
2011      CTT           72,000       NJ USA      AT       Porsche - 63            Y       deilenberger              Fluid Change

2012      CTT            45,300      MD  USA    AT       Porsche OEM         Y        BweSteve                  New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            31,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            61,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      CS              30,000      London GB  ?        Porsche OEM          Y        Greenwich07            New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            70,000      SC, USA    AT       Motul DCTF             Y        ktr6                            Fluid Change

2011      CTT            69,500      TX, USA     AT      Porsche OEM           Y       Kricci                         New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      Base V6     55,000      NC, USA    AT       Porsche OEM           Y       Qu4ttro                      New XFerCase (Warranty)

2012      CS              52,000     TX/KY USA AT      Porsche OEM           Y        Mike 41                     New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      GTS           13,000      CA, USA    AT       Porsche OEM           Y        pburt 03                    New XFerCase (Warranty)

2012      CS              53,000      IL, USA      AT      Porsche OEM           Y       Northshore911          New XFerCase (Warranty)

NOTE: So far all the warranty TC replacements were done without trying a change of oil first - so we don't know if those Transfer-Cases would have responded positively to a simple oil change.

NOTE: I'm discontinuing updating this table as of 5/2/17. The problem is I can't post an image to this forum, and that's how I'm doing updates on other forums. My hosting the image isn't happening - if the forum isn't interested in maintaining images in posts then I'm simply not posting them. Sorry. You can find the latest versions at:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/287782-2011-cayenne-transfer-case-replaced-13.html

or

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958/986001-transfer-case-2.html#post14154622

Edited by deilenberger
Added info 04/30/17
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Wifes 12 cayenne started slipping , shutter  at 103,000 km , 60,000 miles. Porsche SA ....replace TC or could drainTC, add antislip additive $5 then fill with new fluid.  They did mention water contamination.  Anyways after change no shutter and service was performed 2 months ago.  I may get some Ravenol and change in a few months.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, Devito said:

deilenberger

You are the man!  I want to thank you and all who figured this out.  I changed the transfer oil today and problem gone, just like that. 

BTW, this is my first time changing any type of oil, thanks for the picture showing the fill and drain plug.

Thanks much for the kind words.  What were the symptoms you were experiencing and year/model/miles?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dont know if you're still tracking this issue, but i'd like to offer my thanks. 

'12 Cayenne, 50,000mi with baaaad TC symptoms developed recently. few months ago it was fine, took a long drive ~1000mi and suddenly its lurching from 1st to 5th gear, hard turns would have the car buck like a bronco at almost any speed. 

I was almost set to drop $4000 at the dealership when i stumbled across this thread. spent $32 on ravenol and symptoms are 95% gone. turns are smooth, acceleration is smooth. there is sometimes a slight jolt when stopped at a light/sign and going from brake to accelerator, but that seems to me the trans or torque converter rather than T-case. 

Useful information: at 80f, transfer case symptoms were at their absolute worst car was undriveable. back home, at 30f-40f, symptoms were milder, but still worrying BEFORE fluid change. 

Hasn't gotten back up to 80f yet, but AFTER fluid change at 27f, symptoms were nearly nonexistent. temp back up to 60f yesterday and symptoms remained unnoticeable while driving. 

will flush again in 2 weeks and go to Porsche updated fluid. 

Thanks all. you saved me $3900.

Cayenne GTS 2013. 55k KM (approx. 34k miles). I am in middle east (Climate : Temp. 57 F to 108 F. for 7 months it remains between 97 F to 108 F)

Brief History of Vehicle Condition before Issue:

Bought preowned (No Warranty ...sob sob sob...)

21 inch wheels with Michelin tyres.

Front Tyres were Old 2-3 yrs i guess.

Rear tyres were couple of months old.

Got 111 point check done by one and only Porsche dealer in Doha, Qatar.

No major issue other than usual break pads, rotors, batter life etc. 

Regular service as per requirement done by previous owner. Log book stamped by dealer for each service. 

While merging on to highway lane i hit something (Stone, Lane marker not sure what). The tyre (Front Driver side) deflated immediately. I may have been doing 25-35 MPH.

Used the spare wheel to reach home which was about 4 miles drive.

Got front tyres changed. During wheel balancing I was told that the Front Driver side wheel was bent and could not be balanced with stick on weights.

for some reason the mounted that wheel to the front passenger side. (Still looking for a shop who could fix bent alloys)

Fast forward 500 to 600 Mile I again hit something on the same wheel (which was now on front passenger side with new tyre). It deflated to 10-15 psi. 

I inflated it to correct PSI the following day. (In between may have driven it with low pressure for about 50 miles )

After about 200 to 300 miles 

I started noticing Slip when my GTS shifts from 2nd-3rd gear (In auto).

It been 7-8 days since i am observing this.

I started to read a lot of forums to try and identify the what was happening. It was lovely car to drive what could be wrong.

I went through multiple forums and Youtube videos for last 7-8 days. Highly stressed to find Transfer case cost 3000-4000 USD plus labor which could be a ton.

After reading Renntech and great inputs by Mr. Don Eilenberger 

My guess is, post the 1st wheel hit incident the Transfer case is trying to compensate for uneven tyre grip due to unbalanced front wheel (Front Passenger side).

Which may have led to Transfer case clutch being worn.  

1. The slip is very evident when the engine and transmission etc is worm. 1st few mile in the morning i have not noticed it.

2. The slip feels like i am going over break in the road surface (Similar to when one drives over joint/gaps on a fly over).

3. Happens between about 1200 to 1500 rpm. The Taco fluctuates during the slip.

4. The issue is not observed once the gear changes to 4th.

My To do:

1. Go to porsche dealer to get a solution and an estimate. Then go to another shop as I am sure after going through so many forums and videos that the dealer's solution will be "Recommendation to replace the Transfer case"

2. Get the wheel fixed asap. (I found a shop which fixes bent alloys)

3. Change Transfer case oil

4. Drive for a few days and report back to forum. 

Questions:

1. Which is the best Lubricant for this. Someone mentioned Ravenol (Not sure I can find it in Doha)

2. Some one mentioned a 5$ additive to prevent slippage in Transfer case clutch.

Please recommend any solutions which would help avoid 4k Pit 

• Admin

:welcomeani:

I would get any wheel and tire issues fixed first. Check the alignment and correct if needed.

Then see if you still have slip issues. A bad tire/wheel combination can cause slip or even perceived slip because the 4 wheel drive is trying to correct for wheel/tire problems.

After correcting any wheel tire issues then change the transfer case oil - and I highly recommend Porsche specified oil only. Too many bad stories about alternate oils in both the transmission and transfer case.

• Like 1

I would agree with Loren on using the latest Porsche fluid. It has recently dropped in price in the US - down to about $45 / 850cc - which is one oil change. The alternatives aren't a lot cheaper. The issue that Ashish may have experienced might have been caused by the difference in rolling diameter when the tire was under-inflated. The smaller diameter would cause that wheel to turn more revolutions per mile than the other wheels on the car. The transfer case only balances out front to back torque balance - but if one tire is badly underinflated - it's possible it caused extra stress on the case clutch.

As Loren suggested - fix the tire/wheel issue - then change the oil and see what the results are.  Let us know how it works out for you.

• Like 1

Got the wheel Fixed. Apparently the wheel imbalance was not very severe and got corrected quickly

Sadly the transfer case "kick" Issue remains :cursing:

Also got ATF (approx. $57 for 0.85 Ltr) from Porsche will get it changed tomorrow or day after. 

Anyone knows DIY transfer case Breather tube change. I got it from Porsche but need help to put it on transfer case post fluid change. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. Else going for replacement and tank my bank account :helpsmilie:

1 hour ago, Ashish Kohli said:

Got the wheel Fixed. Apparently the wheel imbalance was not very severe and got corrected quickly

Sadly the transfer case "kick" Issue remains :cursing:

Also got ATF (approx. $57 for 0.85 Ltr) from Porsche will get it changed tomorrow or day after. 

Anyone knows DIY transfer case Breather tube change. I got it from Porsche but need help to put it on transfer case post fluid change. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. Else going for replacement and tank my bank account :helpsmilie:

I'd be very interested if you can install the modified breather tube. As far as I can see - the breather is on the very top of the transfer case, and only really accessible with the case removed. And the piping for the vent going up into the engine compartment - it also appears to need the transfer case removed to install.

Let us know if changing the fluid helps the performance issue.

On 08/04/2017 at 10:08 PM, deilenberger said:

Quick Check. 

I changed the fluid with great effort on account of "no proper filler" at hand. I guess i managed to pore in approx. 830-840 ml. Some spillage was involved. 

When i pored back the used fluid in to the bottle its just under 900ml (approx. 880-890 ml) as seen from the level window.

I do not plan to drive the car until i get another bottle to top it off. 

Does Porsche account for some spillage when they give you 850ml bottle?

To be honest is am s%*t scared to take the car out for a longer drive. Just tested it for less than a mile. The sift felt better no jerks. Took 3-4 trials from stand still( 1st to 4th gear )

Ashish - I suspect Porsche put 850ml in, expecting you to use 850ml. I wouldn't be overly concerned about spilling 10-20ml. The oil is circulated through the transfer case by both the action of the chain running through the bottom of the case (below the fill port) and what appears to be some sort of pump flooding the clutch area (which is up high in the case.) It will continue to do this even missing 20ml. The only real effect the missing 20ml might have is to cause the case to run a few degrees warmer than if it has 850ml in it.

On 08/04/2017 at 10:08 PM, deilenberger said:

Quick Check. 

I changed the fluid with great effort on account of "no proper filler" at hand. I guess i managed to pore in approx. 830-840 ml. Some spillage was involved. 

When i pored back the used fluid in to the bottle its just under 900ml (approx. 880-890 ml) as seen from the level window.

I do not plan to drive the car until i get another bottle to top it off. 

Does Porsche account for some spillage when they give you 850ml bottle?

To be honest is am s%*t scared to take the car out for a longer drive. Just tested it for less than a mile. The sift felt better no jerks. Took 3-4 trials from stand still( 1st to 4th gear )

Parts.jpg

drained oil pan.jpg

Drained oil.jpg

Fresh Oil.jpg

used oild.jpg

Ashish,

Again - I wouldn't panic over 10-20cc spillage. The design of the case is such that 800CC would provide adequate oil to lubricate it. The only difference might be that a smaller than 850CC oil fill may result in it warming up quicker than normal. I wouldn't be concerned about it a lot, but since I know you, like I am likely an OCD Porsche owner - buy another bottle and use some sort of filler to get the oil to the level of the bottom of the threads on the filler opening.  That's the "official" level - which even 850CC's doesn't quite reach.

• 8 months later...