Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cabin Smell from A/C outlets 955 Cayenne Turbo S

Hi - on my 06 CTTS, over the last few months I noticed  occasionally awful smell inside the cabin while driving. My research so far indicates that it is emitted from vents when AC system is on. Believe it smells like sth. burned, and is not present when I switch AC system completely off. Did anybody experience this before on a 955 Cayenne, Turbo or Turbo S ? Thanks in advance. 

PS.: side note. It may be coincidence or completely unrelated, but as far as electrical problems I am noticing for about comparable amount of time that the  horn is dead (silence when pressing the steering wheel center...). 

Edited by 9552T500

problem solved and lesson learned. cabin filters can be as important as the respirators for the crew of eight under the hood, and might need as frequent attention:) Wonder why nobody came up with a suggestion, and searching by keywords for air condition smell does not yield any results. However, Just clening out makes a big difference. new one on the way....

48EB6F8B-A87F-41A9-83D8-AB419BB72D1D.jpeg

39 minutes ago, 9552T500 said:

problem solved and lesson learned. cabin filters can be as important as the respirators for the crew of eight under the hood, and might need as frequent attention:) Wonder why nobody came up with a suggestion, and searching by keywords for air condition smell does not yield any results. However, Just clening out makes a big difference. new one on the way....

48EB6F8B-A87F-41A9-83D8-AB419BB72D1D.jpeg

That's funny answering your own post asking why no one thought about the filter and neither had you at that point. Hehe. I jest, not attacking. ......

It's probably likely you got oil leak ( common valve cover gaskets leak) which is getting burnt off and drawn through the AC. A new filter is freshly carbon impregnated so it absorbs the smell to an extent. Like airplane seats and farts. 

thanks for the comment lewisweller. i think there is nothing wrong  to answer a question after having it figuring oneself, when prior either keyword search on a forum did not show results, or couple of days pass wo any suggestion to some problem stated. Reading all posts seems super inefficient, but a search function , blocking typically after 1-2 queries suggests that this is desired here. 

However, vapor of a leaking engine as root cause makes totally sense - especially for a 120k engine. i will keep this in mind for the next more serious engine work down the road. 

2 hours ago, 9552T500 said:

thanks for the comment lewisweller. i think there is nothing wrong  to answer a question after having it figuring oneself, when prior either keyword search on a forum did not show results, or couple of days pass wo any suggestion to some problem stated. Reading all posts seems super inefficient, but a search function , blocking typically after 1-2 queries suggests that this is desired here. 

However, vapor of a leaking engine as root cause makes totally sense - especially for a 120k engine. i will keep this in mind for the next more serious engine work down the road. 

Yeah it tickled my (wicked) British humour button, I didn't mean any offence. 

I often answer my own questions on this forum as despite the vastness of the Web etc amazingly hard to find info on some stuff, but it's good for someone else in future to have the answer too. 

What I do detest is the thread which lasts 8 pages and result in ......... No conclusion and goes dead arrggghhhhhh how annoying.  

Sure- like the british way very much! As a german -  i am possibly just generally more for boring facts and not too much up for endless chat  :(  . I do find though the  concept paying it forward” reflecting my personal attitude. I document all my projects anyway in depth for myself, and have the desire to share when a physical solution can be much simpler and cheaper and often much quicker then often discussed.  i have also no doubt it was eventually discussed. it is just not easily searchable ( at least at a place where you would expect - like here on p-cars and dominantly diy-ers)