Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steps to remove trans oil pump from ZF5HP19FL Transmission

I had a bearing/seal failure in my 2003 Boxster w/Tiptronic, and need to replace the torque converter and the oil pump.  I have removed the transmission from the car and taken off the pan, filter, torque converter, and the control valves.  I have also removed all the bolts from front of the oil pump housing.  In online videos, they show two plastic tubes that need to be removed, before the pump will pull out.  These were on ZF5HP19 transmissions for BMW and other cars.  However, the Tiptronic  for our cars, Boxsters, is a ZF5HP19FL.  A slightly different monster.

When I try to pull on the oil pump, to remove it, it doesn't budge. I don't want to go forcing it, without knowing the proper steps to remove it.

Does anyone know the proper steps to remove the oil pump?

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

2 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

These pumps often take a "set" to the housing and need to be "coaxed" out.  Don't go animal on it, but work it from side to side until it loosens up.

Thanks!  So, are you saying that all I need to do is remove the 9 bolts from the pump front, and it should be able to be "coaxed" out.  No hidden bolts or other things need to be removed first?

2 hours ago, crwarren11 said:

When I rebuilt my tip, I had a friend help me who was very familiar with these, and I don't specifically recall that issue.  In case you don't have it already, I have attached the repair manual here.

I believe that is manual to the "non FL" transmission.  This is the manual I think you were referring to, which is for the 'FL" version, which is what I have.

thanks!!!

Edited by TNT79Bronco

• Moderators

Guys, you are posting copyrighted intellectual property of others, something you specifically agreed not to do when you joined RennTech.......................

Please remove the links or we will...................

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, TNT79Bronco said:

Thanks!  So, are you saying that all I need to do is remove the 9 bolts from the pump front, and it should be able to be "coaxed" out.  No hidden bolts or other things need to be removed first?

Pretty much.

• Moderators
Just now, crwarren11 said:

Woops. Sorry didn’t know.

"Copyrighted material:
By registering here you agree not to post (or link to) any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this site. Repeat offenders will be banned from this site and their accounts, as well as the offending material, will be deleted."

Thanks!  Sorry....my link to the .pdf has been removed for the manual describing the rebuilding of the ZF5HP19FL, which should be able to be found by doing a quick internet search, using the phrase "ZF5HP19FL repair manual".  If anyone has trouble finding it, please let me know.  More than happy to help.

JFP in PA....Thanks for the help!  I will post any and all progress!

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, crwarren11 said:

I guess I was under the impression that things available in the public domain were not an issue. But either way I have remediated. Apologies.

A lot of things in the public domain are not legitimate, particularly on the internet.   Posting such things puts RennTech at risk of being shut down, which is why we cannot permit it.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, crwarren11 said:

Understood. Wouldn’t want to cause any problems.

It doesn't take much.  Something as seemingly innocuous as reproducing a page from a car's owners manual is enough to get the lawyers knocking on your door. 

Back to our regularly scheduled program on disassembling the transmission. 

Turns out you DO have to remove something else, other than the 9 bolts. You have to remove the 5 short rubber hoses that are seen in the first picture, and circled below. 

Once  you do that, you can then insert a short prybar at the end the section that attaches to the oil pump, and apply a light outward pressure. See the red line in the photo. The pump pushes right out. I saw a video online of a guy rebuilding a ZF5HP19 for a BMW 325. Good video for reference.  

As a note. When I was using the T27 to remove the 9 bolts, one of the heads stripped out on one of the bolts. I then just carefully drilled the head off. Once the pump was removed, I was easily able to remove the bolt that was still screwed into the transmission. You can see the bolt at the 10 o’clock position in the picture of the oil pump. 

121552A1-0C54-41B1-B980-916787A270FE.jpeg

B599ACCA-3F36-433F-905A-FEF3A9C5D0C0.jpeg

Edited by TNT79Bronco