Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

With top down, windows do not go up

Craig

2000 Boxster S

6sp

Search unsuccessful. Therefore I ask.  Upon lowering top, windows drop 4 inches. Then will not go back up.  Windows will go down but will not return up at all. Put top up and they work fine. I want windows to go all the way up when top down on cool days and nights

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Craig Joplin said:

Craig

2000 Boxster S

6sp

Search unsuccessful. Therefore I ask.  Upon lowering top, windows drop 4 inches. Then will not go back up.  Windows will go down but will not return up at all. Put top up and they work fine. I want windows to go all the way up when top down on cool days and nights

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

The windows are operating as designed.  To make them go all the way up, the microswitch above the rear view mirror needs to be depressed and held.  Porsche made a cheap plastic clip for this purpose, which your dealer can get for you.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, JFP in PA said:

The windows are operating as designed.  To make them go all the way up, the microswitch above the rear view mirror needs to be depressed and held.  Porsche made a cheap plastic clip for this purpose, which your dealer can get for you.

Do you have a better description or part #

Do you have a better description or part #
I think he is saying this red clip. I also have the same problem and was looking for a solution but didn't think of the red clip. I bought one a while back. Can't try it as my box is in shop but will try it when I have it back home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Craig Joplin said:

Great. Let me know.

I pushed and held switch where it latches. Then up on windows. They went up but upon releasing latch micro switch, windows dropped back down 4". So the orange clip should do the trick. I will order the one in picture from Suncoast at $7.95. Thanks guys. 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Richard Flores said:

So why is this engineered like this for the windows to be down 4 in when the top is down?  Has to be explanation somewhere.  Very weird I think as I like my windows to be all the way up.  

Has to do with the hard top option; when the hard top is in place, nothing is pushing down the microswitch, hence the red clip so the windows go all the way up with the hard top on. Simple fix for a complicated problem...……..

2 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Has to do with the hard top option; when the hard top is in place, nothing is pushing down the microswitch, hence the red clip so the windows go all the way up with the hard top on. Simple fix for a complicated problem...……..

The hard top explains the red clip, which is a great idea to use also for top down window operation, thanks.  Still interested in why Porsche designed windows to go down and not back up with top down.  No big deal just curious like Richard.  

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Craig Joplin said:

The hard top explains the red clip, which is a great idea to use also for top down window operation, thanks.  Still interested in why Porsche designed windows to go down and not back up with top down.  No big deal just curious like Richard.  

Problem is pretty straight forward, the center latch on the convertible top trips a microswitch when latched, allowing the windows to finish their path upwards into their seals for a weather tight configuration.  When the latch is released prior to putting the top down, the windows drop several inches in order to let the top cycle into its down position.  But now the windows have no signal as the top is retracted, which means when the hard top is put on, or if the driver wanted the windows all the way up with the top down, this would leave the side windows down several inches.  Add the cheap red clip, the windows get the signal to go into the full up position, where they remain until the inside or outside door handle is pulled, retracting them slightly to allow them to clear the top seals (as if a top is in place). Again, a simple solution to an otherwise complicated problem.....

• 1 month later...

Actually all I needed to do was hold the top down button until the dash top indicator went off.  Windows now go up and down fully. (No clip required)

Actually all I needed to do was hold the top down button until the dash top indicator went off.  Windows now go up and down fully. (No clip required)