Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cluster Upgrade

Was considering a 996 cluster upgrade for my 1999 Boxster base. There is some confusion as to whether the cluster needs to be reprogrammed to work in the boxster. I know mileage correction is necessary but there's talk about adding Vin # and enabling the volt and oil pressure gauges bla...bla. Some mention of Palo Alto Speedometer reprogramming but not sure what they need, I don't have original key codes... some say it is needed to reprogram the cluster. Any thoughts? thanks v

My wife and I did that swap with her 2001 base Boxster about... geez, 12 years ago.  She really wanted an oil pressure gauge.  :-)

I picked one up off of Ebay for $160.   We then took it over to our local instrument cluster shop (which worked on VDO) and had them change the odometer.  They didn't give us much of an issue about it, since we actually added 20,000 miles to it so it'd match our current Boxster mileage.  Then I came home from work one day, and the garage door was open, and my wife had the dash taken apart, the old cluster out, and was fashioning space for the new cluster into the housing with a dremel!   She had bits of plastic all over her.  It's one of those times when you just KNOW you married the right girl!  

My understanding is that the Boxster clusters differ, so for a 1999 the xfer might not work.   Here's an old thread discussing it:

Hi, Thanks for that thread, will give it a try. Seems no additional reprogramming was needed on the earlier MY's. Do you remember if you had to reprogram anything using a PWIS or PS2? thanks again v

Hi Loren, What actually needs to be programmed and who can do it? Also, I do not have the key codes that come original w car...are they needed to reprogram? thanks v

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to DIY the programming the instructions are in this thread: 

RENNLIST.COM

Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum - Cluster Upgrade - Was considering a 996 cluster upgrade for my 1999 Boxster base. There is some confusion as to whether the cluster needs to be reprogrammed to work in the boxster. I know mileage correction is necessary but there's talk about adding Vin...

• 2 months later...

I did the cluster upgrade with the OBC upgrade using 2 window switches....pretty much plug and play ....all works with the exception of getting night illumination for to the switches. I read pins 3 and 5 are ground and hot respectively. I tried jumping 3 and 5 from the TC switch directly to the new switches...this did light up the switches but then caused the TC LED to remain lit at all times with the ignition off!! Can I just jump it from the cigarette lighter or ashtray light? Thanks V

• Admin

You want a switched source - only on when the ignition is on. The lighter is always on.

There is a connector in the center lower console that has +12VDC always on, +12VDC switched, and ground. That is your best source.

Do a search here that connector has been discussed many many times.

• 3 years later...