Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What Would You Recommend Re: PSE Install

The dealer received my check for the Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE) kit it happened to have in stock, and is holding it for me. Because my car does not have Sport Chrono, a separate (on-off) switch for the center console is needed. The switch is not included in the PSE kit, has its own part number and needs to be ordered separately. Problem is the switch is on back-order from Germany with no ETA. Parts and Service managers both say they can install the PSE without the switch, so its always on, then install the switch later when it arrives. What do you think?

If I elect to do the install without the switch, will the PSE always be 'on?' Any downside to doing that? What would you recommend?

YoungTurk

'05 Carrera 911 (Arctic Silver/Black)

• 3 months later...

hi Loren, thks for yr feedback.

i've just ordered the PSE (w/out deactivation switch) to be installed on my 997 C2 (non 'S', no sport chrono). the dealer that i've ordered it fm recommends that i only replace the stock mufflers & exhaust tips (no electric wiring nor valve tube installation to be done) in order for PSE to always be on.

i'm obviously in unfamiliar territory & am thus wondering if the recommendation sounds feasible to you...

I had the PSE on my 996 with the switch. I just installed it on my 997 without the switch. Why? Because I never switched it off on the 996! Save the money and leave the wiring off, unless you live in a neghborhood where you are likely to get stoned for having a Porsche that sounds like a real sports car. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I love the sound of my PSE, and I agree with Loren that it is not unreasonably loud under 4K RPM, but it is certainly louder than with the PSE turned off. That being said, there are production cars that have standard exhausts that are louder than the PSE.

I try to be aware of the situation, for instance, I often leave my house fairly early (pre 7AM) and I always turn the PSE off. I think that it does make a difference, possibly a difference that is more noticeable outside the car than in.

Is that a way that you could put the switch in the engine compartment area instead at the console to save labor hours?

I love my PSE and enjoy the sound all the time. Except on long trip, I can flip a switch to have it disabled before hours of driving in the freeway.

Patriot, how much are they asking for the PSE+installation?

About $1800 for PSE + @$500 for install in 997 cab with Sports Chrono but no PASM. Pressing the 'Sport' button on the console not only engages Sport Chrono, but it turns PSE on as well.

I highly, highly recommend PSE.

Patriot

'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)

Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!

• Moderators
On a U.S. '06 997S with Sport Chrono and the factory PSE on does the PSE go into quite mode during certain road speeds? TIA.

Yes, that is the primary purpose of the current factory 997 PSE configuration. There is no manual "quiet" switch like on the 996. It is in "quiet" mode between 30 & 45 mph.

The 997 PSE muffler vacuum flapper valves get controlled from the DME instead of an analog speed signal like on the 996. But despite being controlled by the DME, the actual vacuum switch that controls the flapper valves is still an analog one, so to keep the mufflers in "loud" mode all of the time, one simply disconnects the electrical connector to the vacuum switch. There is no feedback to the DME, so it does not know that the switch is not connected, so it will not register a fault.

Disconnect this brown connector:

ExhaustSW4.jpg

This picture is from a 996, but it is exactly the same on the 997.

• 1 year later...
Yes, it will.

My dealer is saying that the PSE system not factory installed is not covered by the new car warranty. Normally Porsche parts are covered for 2 years but they would not commit to the length of the warranty on the PSE if not installed with electronics and switching per factory instructions. Anyone else heard similar stories from their dealer?

Edited by Sharptt

This is my personal experience. I think that most dealers are just plain SUCKS. I have a 05 C2S.

Last year, I bought my PSE from Brandywine Porsche. I called various local dealer and asked about the installation. They all quoted me from $1000 to 10 hours for the install with the switch. I mentioned to them about the TSB which only said 3.5 hours. They all said if you need to get the job done right, it will take all day to do it. So I finally have a local garage install the exhaust without the switch but have the vacuum lines so I can manually turn on/off.

Recently, I have noticed a rattle from the passenger rear. I took the car to my dealer and they said the rattle is from the actuator rod of the exhaust baffle. I do remember there is a slight rattle before they were installed. They told me that since the PSE were not installed by them, it does not cover under warranty. They said they would need 4 hours to drop both exhaust and then another 4 hours to fix the rattle, but can't promise that it will go away. What a complete BS! I didn't even bother to argue with them. So, I said "forget it". They charged my 1 hour labor ($137) just to find the stupid rattle which probably took them 5 min.

I like to take my car to the dealer for service, but they charge outrageous amount. Do they think we are jall stupid? :cursing:

Now, I just leave the PSE in loud mode and the rattle has pretty much stopped.

Edited by colonel