Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

To sell or not to sell

Sum Lau

I bought my 996 turbo coupe with X50, PCCB and manual shift only a year ago.

Although I love every minute driving it or simply admiring it, I need to go overseas for almost a year.

Should I get rid of it or keep it as an investment? 

Any suggestion, friends. I am not trying to pitch a sale here. If I sell, I will go through a dealer.

Lauda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Keep the car.  It looks like the 996 and 996 Turbo values have reached bottom last year and are appreciating at a nice pace.  There are a few examples I found this past weekend from $60,000 to $78,000 and one admittedly redicilous example asking $99,000 but thats HUGE compared to 2 years ago when a clean carfax 6 speed could be picked up occasionally for $35,000 to $45,000

COVID has driven up prices on many goods from lumber to used cars.  It's a seller's market right now for these cars.  This is the strongest used car market I have seen in 20+ years since I've been into racing..

I couldn't re-buy today the low mileage 996TT that I sold 7 years ago when I moved into NYC for anywhere near the same price I sold it for.

It's so bad that I wanted to buy a new track car and have the cash to do it but I'm putting my plans on ice -- the used car market is stupid right now.  Good time to sell into strength......

20 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Part of that rise in price is driven by concern over the widening move to EV's. 

Yes and a large part of that is the shortage of MLCCs (multi-layer ceramic capacitors).

Pretty crazy, article in Bloomberg terminal this morning about just how bad the chip shortage has gotten.  Cases in point:

• Peugeot is going back to old fashioned analog speedometers for its 308 hatchbacks rather than using a digital version.
  • Nissan is cutting the number of cars with pre-installed nav by about 1/3rd
  • GM said some Chevy Silverado trucks wont come with some fuel economy module which will sacrifice ~1mile/gallon

..... the list goes on.  And I doubt it gets better anytime this year.  Guess my wife is going to have to wait till next year to get that Tesla model X or Y.......