Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anybody use a lift for their hardtop?

I have a very small garage and use most of it for things. I don't have a good spot on the wall for the wall rack, either.

I found a lift to suspend the hardtop from the ceiling in my garage. It seems simple enough and it's a perfect spot to get the hardtop out of the way.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

I have a very small garage and use most of it for things.  I don't have a good spot on the wall for the wall rack, either.

I found a lift to suspend the hardtop from the ceiling in my garage.  It seems simple enough and it's a perfect spot to get the hardtop out of the way. 

Does anybody have any experience with this?

I have a hardtop hoist, and don't find it very satisfactory. Between the hook in the ceiling, the double pulley assembly, and the slack in the hoist harness, the total hardtop package extends at least 2 feet down from the ceiling at the lowest point (back edge). Even with my 12' ceiling, it feels like an obstruction and makes a 3-car garage feel crowded. It cannot hang directly above your car (in a ready to drop position) if you have a garage door opener.

It is particularly bothersome when I face the fact that I will probably never put the hardtop on my car again, so easy access is not an issue. I plan to find someplace in the basement.

If you're still interested in one, I will sell you mine at a bargain price. Let me know.

Kim

I have a hardtop hoist in my garage and absolutely love it. It keeps the top only a couple of feet below the rafters and makes it very easy to drop it down and install it on my cab for winter driving. I highly recommend it as an easy way to store the top and an easy way to one person install the top as well. I bought mine from a vendor on ebay but they are all pretty much the same.

I say go for it!

Mike

MY04 C2 Cab

Ditto MikeA's comments. I have no problems opening/closing my top under the hard top when it is hoisted. It's easy to use and once you get used to it you can load/unload your hardtop in under 2 minutes on your own.

Here's a pic of my setup. Don;t you just love a tidy garage ;)

post-137-1121777335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scouser

Few years ago I was planning to get a hardtop hoist for my cab. After did some research, a lot of people complainted most of the hardtop hoists create damage of the weather stripe for long time storage. On the other hand, a good electric unit with wire-remote could cost up to $500.00 or more.

I found a lot of the tools company online that can sell a electric host that would lift few hundred pound for less than $100.00. All you need is something that could mount on the hardtop without damage the weather strip for long term. I still haven't figured out that part yet.

If someone could build or come up with something that could hold the hardtop, all you need is this to mount at the garage ceiling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40765

Edited by gchu

I found a lot of the tools company online that can sell a electric host that would lift few hundred pound for less than $100.00.  All you need is something that could mount on the hardtop without damage the weather strip for long term.  I still haven't figured out that part yet.

If someone could build or come up with something that could hold the hardtop, all you need is this to mount at the garage ceiling.

What a great idea. I see no problem with the hoist bar and harness on my hoist damaging my top or its molding. My problem was the aforestated: "hangs too low from the ceiling".

I have already ordered the winch from Harbor Freight. I intend to mount it in the attic above my garage, feed the cable down through the ceiling, and attach it directly to the hoist harness. That way, a foot of pulley block, hook, and eye-bolt is eliminated, and the hoist harness can be snugged right up against the ceiling.

Thanks .... my hoist is no longer for sale,

Kim

Okay, Kim, your problem is resolved. Please let me know how it turn out.

I think I will be in the market again to find some kind of harness that could life the hardtop.

Any others have any suggestion?

Scouser... is the bucket part of an elaborate alarm system?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

What's scary about it?

And yes, the bucket is the alarm system..........but not so elaborate :clapping:

Seriously though, yeah I know my garage is a bit cluttered (proly an understatement). But it is very functional given that its' the only place in my 18th century home to put my car under cover. My Porker has lived in there for 3 years now and the only problem I have is getting in and out it :roflmao:

Hoist works a treat though.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

My roof in my garage is too low for a hoist, and space is also at a premium, so I bought a wall mount from Porsche, and stuck the hardtop in my home office closet. The arrangement works fine, as I only move the top onto the car once a year. The rack cost about $300 at the local Porsche Dealer.

rack.jpg