Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do you deactivate seatbelt alarm

Hi all,

has anyone figured out a way to de-activate the seatbelt alarms in a Boxster 987 permanently? Only the terrible acoustics not the light between the tachometer? Is the acoustics used for another purpose than the seat belts?

If yes, please let me know how to hack this!

Thx

Oliver

No I haven't but, I agree....it's an anoying gong that I could do without on the few occassions when I don't want to " buckle up "

My Mercedes stops after a number of gongs & light stays on ... this would be an acceptable alternative for me.

Please keep me in the loop if antone comes up with a fix/hack.

• Admin

The seat belt signal goes to the instrument cluster and the airbag control. Since the seat belt signal is used by the airbag circuitry too so I doubt you want to mess with that. The rest of the circuitry is internal to the cluster.

Still, I'm pretty sure my goes off after a few beeps too.

The seat belt signal goes to the instrument cluster and the airbag control. Since the seat belt signal is used by the airbag circuitry too so I doubt you want to mess with that. The rest of the circuitry is internal to the cluster.

Still, I'm pretty sure my goes off after a few beeps too.

I would not like to switch off or cut the seatbelt signal but the buzzer itself! Is the buzzer used for something else or only for the seatbelt alarm? If we just cut off the buzzer (like to cut off the loudspeaker), everything should be fine.

Does anybody know where the buzzer is located and were the wires lead to?

Thx

Oli

The gong does stop after a few chimes (at least, that's the case in the '02 C4 cab), I think the same sounder is used for headlight-on warning so you'd have t6o give that up too.

The visual indication can be cancelled by push the OBC stalk forward - doesn't stop the gong though

Edited by dvdude

The gong does stop after a few chimes (at least, that's the case in the '02 C4 cab), I think the same sounder is used for headlight-on warning so you'd have t6o give that up too.

The visual indication can be cancelled by push the OBC stalk forward - doesn't stop the gong though

Maybe does on an '02 C4 .... but, we're talking 987 S here ... the annoying gong stops momentarily but, then starts in again ...... sure wish someone had a fix !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you just do the right thing and fasten the seatbelt? Even if you are sitting in your stationary car it may save you, if you are rammed by another vehicle , since the airbags may not activate. If you are driving, airbags will not keep you from being thrown out of the car or into the passenger side if you have an accident.

If you are driving your Porsche around without a seatbelt on you must be crazy.

Maybe does on an '02 C4 .... but, we're talking 987 S here ... the annoying gong stops momentarily but, then starts in again ...... sure wish someone had a fix !!!

Why don't you just do the right thing and fasten the seatbelt? Even if you are sitting in your stationary car it may save you, if you are rammed by another vehicle , since the airbags may not activate. If you are driving, airbags will not keep you from being thrown out of the car or into the passenger side if you have an accident.

If you are driving your Porsche around without a seatbelt on you must be crazy.

Well, britairdog, thanks for your opinions ... too bad you don't have an answer to the original post which was a technical question !

When I want someone to lecture me on the use of seatbelts, I'll ask for it ... as for being crazy ... I'll assume you are not a qualified Doctor and remind you that I did not ask you for a diagnosis.

Well, britairdog, thanks for your opinions ... too bad you don't have an answer to the original post which was a technical question !

When I want someone to lecture me on the use of seatbelts, I'll ask for it ... as for being crazy ... I'll assume you are not a qualified Doctor and remind you that I did not ask you for a diagnosis.

Hi all,

has anyone figured out a way to de-activate the seatbelt alarms in a Boxster 987 permanently? Only the terrible acoustics not the light between the tachometer? Is the acoustics used for another purpose than the seat belts?

Thx

Oliver

Ok, that was just my opinion. If you really want to disable the seatbelt chime, you will probably find a dual wire feed to the female part of the seatbelt connection. These wires are 'open circuit' without the seatbelt fastened. If you cut both wires and connect them together, the car will always sense that your seatbelt is fastened. This has worked on other cars, it may answer fix your problem

Hey, Oli ...

I've got a guy sending me a male recepticle that he thinks will work to de-activate the seatbelt gong ... if it works, I'll report back ... this will, obviously, also disable the dashboard warning & still entails sticking this object in the recepticle ... but, will be handy for those times jockeying cars around the lot, or working on the car with the ignition swith on.

Then, when ready to roll, just pop it out & replace with seat/shoulder belt !!!

• Admin
Ok, that  was just my opinion. If you really want to disable the seatbelt chime, you will probably find a dual wire feed to the female part of the seatbelt connection. These wires are 'open circuit' without the seatbelt fastened. If you cut both wires and connect them together, the car will always sense that your seatbelt is fastened. This has worked on other cars, it may answer fix your problem 

You will need a resistor between the two wires... I think someone told me 100 ohms.

Ok, that  was just my opinion. If you really want to disable the seatbelt chime, you will probably find a dual wire feed to the female part of the seatbelt connection. These wires are 'open circuit' without the seatbelt fastened. If you cut both wires and connect them together, the car will always sense that your seatbelt is fastened. This has worked on other cars, it may answer fix your problem 

You will need a resistor between the two wires... I think someone told me 100 ohms.

Thanks britairdog & Loren for your replies / suggestions ... at this point, I'm not sure I want to do the close - circuit type fix ... I'm hoping that a spare seatbelt male end ( or I'll fabricate one ) will do the trick for those few occassions when I want it disabled.

Hey, Oli ...

I've got a guy sending me a male recepticle that he thinks will work to de-activate the seatbelt gong ... if it works, I'll report back ... this will, obviously, also disable the dashboard warning & still entails sticking this object in the recepticle ... but, will be handy for those times jockeying cars around the lot, or working on the car with the ignition swith on.

Hi jwolfe,

ok, very good, Let me know when you have the solution!

Thx

Oli

Received the part from Seat Belts in California today & it does indeed work !!

Contact Trampas at ( 805 ) 528-7888 Ext. 111 or E-Mail him at TRAMPAS@PEPARTS.com ask for part # REPA ... Good Luck !

Hey, Oli ...

Hi jwolfe,

ok, very good, Let me know when you have the solution!

Thx

Oli

I don't know if it's possible on the 987, but on my 2004 GTI I used my OBD2 connector and VAG-COM to deactivate the warning gong. I often get my seatbelt on as I'm already driving away (I know, not best practice) and I wanted to avoid the nag chime every few minutes. I did it by switching to a euro profile, where the seatbelt light behaved normally (lights up at startup and chimes once).

Perhaps an equivalent process exists for the Boxster?

Hi all,

Thx

Oliver

I like number9ine 's set-up .... what is OBD 2 & VAG-COM ????

Can you enlighten me ??

I'm using a spare male recepticle, which works, but you still have to hear that annoying sound 'till you stick the fake or real seatbelt in the female recepticle ... I'd rather go your route ...if it works on the 987.

Thanx

• 4 weeks later...
I like number9ine 's set-up .... what is OBD 2 & VAG-COM ????

Can you enlighten me ??

I'm using a spare male recepticle, which works, but you still have to hear that annoying sound 'till you stick the fake or real seatbelt in the female recepticle ... I'd rather go your route ...if it works on the 987.

Thanx

Hi folks,

has anyone some news how to overcome this sound? I got my 987 S this Friday and I really would hack this annoying peeper...

Thx

Oli

• 10 months later...

This isn't really a permenant fix, but what i do for mine is I cut a small length of R/C airplance silicone fuel tubbing (about 1 1/2 inces) and just push it into the recepticle, this holds in the red release button and tricks the system into thinking the seatbelt is on. It is cheap inconspicuious and very quick to remove and toss into the ashtray when not in use :)

I don't know if it's possible on the 987, but on my 2004 GTI I used my OBD2 connector and VAG-COM to deactivate the warning gong. I often get my seatbelt on as I'm already driving away (I know, not best practice) and I wanted to avoid the nag chime every few minutes. I did it by switching to a euro profile, where the seatbelt light behaved normally (lights up at startup and chimes once).

Perhaps an equivalent process exists for the Boxster?

Hi all,

Thx

Oliver

OBD2 is the port for connection of an On Board Diagnostics computer or code reader. VAG-COM is a computer program available from Ross-Tech Engineering that allows diagnostics and changes to a VW product's internal computer codes across a wide variety of addresses, such as engine, transmission, instruments, central electronics,etc. I have used VAG-COM to tailor a variety of items on my Touareg V-8, such as disabling the seat belt chime and deactivating the NAV warning that pops up every time you start the vehicle.