Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBDII UK Scanner Recommendation Please

Hi - Can any UK members recommend an OBDII Scanner that is known to work on a 1999 996 please.

According to various websites (www.gendan.co.uk for example) they advise that only US cars are guaranteed to work from 1996, with European cars falling into line after 2001.

I obviously don't want to buy a scanner to find it doesn't work with my year of car ...

Many Thanks in advance.

www.obd-2.com

Cost me about £80-90 IIRC by the time they had posted it. Works on my 1997 (model year 98) 996.

Where about in the UK are you?

Paul - Thanks for the reply. That's positive news then as I guess any OBDII scanner should work as they all use the same protocol. If your 98 sends it, then I'm fairly confident that my 99 should..

I'm down south in Kent so a fair few miles away from your good self in Scotland ...

Thanks again,

Richard.

I have a MY99 car and it has worked with every scanner I have tried.

Loren - All Porsche US cars do comply with the ISO standard since MY1996 - (a Federal Requirement) however RoW cars did not catch up until MY2001.

That is why here in the UK, OBDII scanners are very hit and miss between MY1999 and MY2001.

I've just sent the OBDII Pinout to a UK resellor of the 'autoenguinity' product in an effort to clarify if it should work. According to their website it will, (pin's 4,5,7 and 16 need to be there) but just need to confirm before I spend my cash.

FYI - OBDII Pinout on a RoW MY1999 996 C4

1 - Black/Red

2 - n/c

3 - Yellow/Blue

4 - Brown

5 - Brown/Blue

6 - n/c

7 - Orange/Black

8 - n/c

9 - Purple/Green

10..15 - n/c

16 - Red/Black (confirmed as +12v)

I guess the extra pins are used for Porsche's diagnostic tools.

I'll update the post once I get the results back ...

Thanks,

Richard.

Oddly enough the MY99 C2 DME schematic shows the OBD II connector and wiring yet the MY C4 (egas and DME 7.2) does not. The DME 7.2 OBD II wiring does not show up on a C2/C4 (egas) schematic until MY00.

Most of the unused pins are not used at all.

Update - The Auto Enginuity and TekMate products do not work on a 1999 996 C4 UK Spec.

:-(

Amongst other things, I have an Autoxray EZ-Scan 5000 which works well on my 98 996 C2. Other cars I have tried it on where it works well are an Audi TT and a Subaru Impreza WRX. A Merc A Class won't connect at all, and on a Peugeot 206 GTI it will read fault codes, but will scan a very limited range of sensor values. Overall, however, it is a good tool, and I bought it as it is CAN protocol compliant.

If you are ever in the area, I'd be happy to demo it.