Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio continues to run after key removed

I just got my 2000 Boxster back today from my Porsche dealer after they replaced the entire ignition switch, and steering lock - the whole enchelata.

I don't understand . . . I turn off the ignition and took the key out. The radio stayed on. I got out of the car and shut the door. The radio was still on.

When I locked the car with the remote, it turned off and armed the alarm.

Then when I go back to get into the car, as soon as I open the door, the radio kicks on.

What is up with that? It's a brand new ignition assembly.

Thanks,

Todd

Any beeps from the alarm when arming?

Interesting that you ask that. When I was at the dealer . . . it beeped when I armed it. Now (when the radio thing is happening) it does NOT beep when I arm the car.

Thoughts?

Todd

Is it a Porsche radio (if so which model) or aftermarket?

Yeppers, it is a Porsche radio. It is the CDR-220.

Is it a Porsche radio (if so which model) or aftermarket?

Yeppers, it is a Porsche radio. It is the CDR-220.

Some additional information . . . the alarm chirped when I picked up the car, but then it wouldn't start so we changed the battery. this all started when the new batter was hooked up.

Not sure if this gives you any useful additional info, but wanted to make sure you had the whole picture.

Todd

• Admin

The chirp means an alarm zone is open.

The most common causes are the center console lid not closed (or microswitch broken), the front (or rear) trunk microswitch, or the alarm connection on the radio. If the radio was replaced with an aftermarket then they put the original back in - it could be they did not reconnect the alarm wire. I helped a guy here with a 996 that had a similar problem and it was the alarm wire on the radio. My PST2 pinpointed it -- as it was the only alarm fault.

If you can find an independent shop with a PST2 they can hook it up and tell you exactly which zone (or zones) are causing the "open" fault.

The chirp means an alarm zone is open.

The most common causes are the center console lid not closed (or microswitch broken), the front (or rear) trunk microswitch, or the alarm connection on the radio. If the radio was replaced with an aftermarket then they put the original back in - it could be they did not reconnect the alarm wire. I helped a guy here with a 996 that had a similar problem and it was the alarm wire on the radio. My PST2 pinpointed it -- as it was the only alarm fault.

If you can find an independent shop with a PST2 they can hook it up and tell you exactly which zone (or zones) are causing the "open" fault.

So, if it is NOT chirping now, that means there is no alarm zone open? That is what we want, right? From what you're saying the car only chirps when a door/bonnet is open.

Am I wrong?

Todd

I have a MY 00 as well. This thread has gotten me thinking what the correct behavior is when the key is turned off and removed. In mine, when the key is turned off and removed, the A/C panel and all the caution lights immediately turn off. The digital speedo and computer remain on for a while. If the radio is on when I turn the key off it stays on for a while but can be turned off with the on/off button.

Is this normal?

Jon

I have a MY 00 as well. This thread has gotten me thinking what the correct behavior is when the key is turned off and removed. In mine, when the key is turned off and removed, the A/C panel and all the caution lights immediately turn off. The digital speedo and computer remain on for a while. If the radio is on when I turn the key off it stays on for a while but can be turned off with the on/off button.

Is this normal?

Jon

Im curious about this also. Additionally, when I get back in my car, and open the door, the radio comes back on.

Thanks,

Todd

Re the alarm zone now non-problem, I replaced a CR21 with a cage (and attached alarm wire) with a CR22 (cageless) and had to tape the wire up to stop it causing the alarm chirp -- didn't see if there was a alarm point on the CR22 to attach the alarm wire to.

Edited by Paul Fraser

The radio is meant to stay on after the key comes out - usually for about 10 seconds or so. Then it turns off. If during that 10-sec period you turn the radio off manually, next time you put the key in the radio will not turn on automatically.

I've noticed that the radio seems to turns off quicker if the door is opened immediately after pulling out the key - but that might just be my perception ;)

The radio should not turn itself back on automatically until you put the key in the ignition and turn it.

Thanks!

Shash

I have the CDR-220 and factory alarm. When I shut off the car, the a/c controls go off but the LED display for speed and trip/mileage stays on for a while. The radio stays on for about 10 seconds then shuts its self off after that. When I arm the alarm the LED dash speedo etc shuts off. When I disarm the car the radio does not come on until I start the car.

I can turn the radio on manually with the ON button and off again with that when the car is sitting and the alarm is not armed.

The radio does not stay off after the ignition is off and does not come on after the alarm is disabled. I woudl assume this is normal operation as it seems reasonable. The radio stays on after shutting off the ignition for only for say 10 seconds then fades away.

Edited by 986Jim

• 1 month later...

I was about to revive this thread because my radio would not shut off like many of the above posts (Up until this morning it operated as it was supposed to)… but had a small revelation about this and went out to test it.

It has been about 45 min since I turned the ignition off removed the key and exited the car, all indicators and LED panels are off. Top is down, alarm not activated. Radio can be manually turned on and off. Turned radio on, exited the car armed the alarm. Radio still on. Disarmed the alarm, entered the car, inserted the key, turned the key (but did not start the car) and closed the top. Closed the windows turned off the ignition and removed the key… viola the radio faded to off after a few seconds. So is the key (no pun intended) here to have the top up, or is it just a fluke?

Not really. The radio will turn off after a few seconds automatically when the car is shut off and the key removed from ignition. However, you can always manually turn the radio on/off w/out key in ignition at any time. It will stay on until you manually shut it off, or until you put key in ignition, turn on car and then shut off and remove key. Then it will again shut off automatically after a few seconds. That's been my experience at least.

Edited by Cassiebox

• 4 weeks later...

I think everyone is having a problem with the ignition switch. I had the same problem, went to my porsche dealer and they told me it was probably the switch, so I had to buy the entire lock assembly. After installing it everything went back to normal. When the switch starts failing, all electronics in the car go crazy (Lights wont turn on, radio doesn't work, a'c not working. It just messes your electronics up)

Edited by Sergio

I have the CDR-220 and factory alarm. When I shut off the car, the a/c controls go off but the LED display for speed and trip/mileage stays on for a while. The radio stays on for about 10 seconds then shuts its self off after that. When I arm the alarm the LED dash speedo etc shuts off. When I disarm the car the radio does not come on until I start the car.

I can turn the radio on manually with the ON button and off again with that when the car is sitting and the alarm is not armed.

The radio does not stay off after the ignition is off and does not come on after the alarm is disabled. I woudl assume this is normal operation as it seems reasonable. The radio stays on after shutting off the ignition for only for say 10 seconds then fades away.

My '03 goes through exactly the same series as your car