Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Strange Steering feeling

I recently brought a Boxster S - MY99 (US MY00) after previously having a MY98 2.5 Boxster.

Since driving it, there is a strange feeling thought the steering, and Im not sure if this is an optional extra that I have not felt before or a problem.

Its hard to explain, but if you are driving along, the steering sometime has mind of its own, like it will slightly jolt to the left or right, does not jolt the car much, but you can feel it through the wheel, and then you have to slightly fight it to over ride it.

Also, if you turn a corner, it some times tries to turn for you, like you can feel the wheel trying to turn more than you want it to.

Its really strange and hard to explain, but wonder if anyone has felt such a feeling before or have any explanations?

Many thanks

Russ

when I first bought the car, I felt something similar. Over time I have gotten used to it. The tires tend to follow the crown of the road or the "ridge" created by heavy traffic. It is worse if the air pressure is low. Whether it is because of the stance of this car, the width of the tires or something else, I can't answer.

My concern is that you are coming out of a Boxster. Perhaps the tires in the S are larger so the issue is more pronounced. Perhaps the prior owner set up the suspension differently. See if the problem only occurs on well worn roads or high crowned roads. If it is not intermittent, I would have the car checked out (tire air pressure, alignment etc.) In the meantime try to identify exactly when it occurs.

Other isuues to check: might be a bad bearing - but that usually makes noise. A sticky caliper, check the rotors for uneven wear. Non-matching tires - easy to check. Air pressure -- easy.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, yes its nothing like my original boxster, very strange.

To give a run down,

In the past year it has had,

2x Rear Lower Wish bone arms

2x Rear Trailing arms

1x new clutch

2x Rear Drop Links

2x new rear brake discs

2 new rear anti vibration dampers

2x new front disc brakes

new front pads (gt3/986 3.2 textar)

new rear pads (textar)

4x new front damping plates

not sure if this help in diognosing the problem

many thanks

Russ

pay attention to the road surface when this happens, with the camber on the front and back the car reacts worse than most to roads with worn/sunken track areas

rutted may be a better description, I'm having a hard time coming up with the words :)

Edited by stumpjumper

I have noticed this kind of pull on a number of vehicles that I have owned with either wide tires or aggressive suspension. The key is that it pulls in both directions which indicates that it probably isn't an alignment issue. I also experience this pull with my S and attribute it to the tires and suspension. I would imagine the variable steering is also part of the problem as it is new to me and I'm not use to the feel.

Edited by Sammy

Hi,

Just drove home.

First thing I noticed (i think!!) if I hit a bump and it cause the car to shift the the right lets say, then it feels like the steering wants to turn into the shift, I.E the wheels turn left, and you kind of hae to correct this. Sometime it corrects it self.

Second thing, is similar to what sammy mentioned above. The car some times shift to one side but then corrects its self and shifts to the other side and you can feel it working thought the steering wheel.

One way I guess I could kind of describe some of the feeling is like some of the early steering wheels on the playstation, where the motor used to try and turn the wheel back when you tried to turn it.

Hopw this kind of makes sense.

many thanks

Russ

I really think we're looking at the nature of the beast. Wide, grippy tires with a suspension built for max velocity handling combined with a weird steering system. It's awesome!!! With a stiff suspension a car will be tossed around on bumps and then the tires will pull whatever direction the shift is going.

I had similar experience with a Lincoln LS with the sport package (17" 225's) as well as a Dodge Dakota with really wide tires (275's).

• Moderators

Sounds to me like bad alignment. If you are running toe-out up front, that will cause all of the symptoms you are describing. Take it to a *reputable* alignment shop and get them to check it out for you.

Good Luck,

Graeme

Sounds to me like bad alignment. If you are running toe-out up front, that will cause all of the symptoms you are describing. Take it to a *reputable* alignment shop and get them to check it out for you.

Good Luck,

Graeme

While agreeing about the alignment--

Rascal what tire and size do you have now - and what did you come from?

I usually ask myself a similar question about my car this time of year - as I change from my 235/17 winter tires to my 225/265/18 summer tires. It is a big enough effect that my wife also notices on her heavier BMW.

Im using 265/35/ZR18 on the rears, and 225/40/ZR18 on the front.

Now I am using Michelin Pilots on the front and Dunlop Sports on the back which I know you should not mix and match tyres but thats how it was when I brought it, and Im waiting for a pair to go so I can replace with the same. Looks like that Michelins are going to go first which is a shame cause I would have prefrered to change them all to michelins than dunlops.

For what it's worth, I just went fron 17 to 18 inch on my 98 2.5 boxster, and noticed the car is definitly what I would call "Jittery" it reacts to every little input. I figure it is due to the shorter sidewalls. It sort of feels the way you are discribing it.