Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Oil and Diff Oil - Change and Oil recommendation

I have 2004 Cayenne with 78K miles and I would like to change the transmission oil and the differential oil. Has anyone done that? Also, what oil is recommended?

In the past I have found that Motul or Redline oil worked better in my Bimmers and Benzs then factory oil. So, any recommendations?

Also, should I change my fuel filter? Where is it located on the V8 Turbo??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mitul

• Upvote 1

I have 2004 Cayenne with 78K miles and I would like to change the transmission oil and the differential oil. Has anyone done that? Also, what oil is recommended?

In the past I have found that Motul or Redline oil worked better in my Bimmers and Benzs then factory oil. So, any recommendations?

Mitul

I think Porsche uses Mobil 1 ATF 3309 in all Cayenne's auto tranny based on my research.

However you have to idle the engine and make sure the tranny temp is 40C to get the correct fluid level

Too bad that I haven't found where to check the tranny temp in my Durametric software.

Edited by TopGun2000

• Admin
We have the latest that Porsche has sent us (we have a subscription - that we pay for).

Loren,

Can you share the differential Oil specs/recommendation for 04 CTT...

Thanks

This is why it pays to be a Contributing Member here -- viewing access to all TSBs.

post-1-1264431107_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Is the Burmah diff fluid the only practical choice or does anyone know if other gear lube will work well? Such as Mobil 75-140 synthetic gear lube. When I drained the Burmah fluid it smelled rotten and was very thin, almost like the viscosity of water.

• 6 months later...

Mitul

I think Porsche uses Mobil 1 ATF 3309 in all Cayenne's auto tranny based on my research.

However you have to idle the engine and make sure the tranny temp is 40C to get the correct fluid level

Too bad that I haven't found where to check the tranny temp in my Durametric software.

On many forums, I find that Toyota T-IV ATF is actually Mobil 3309. T-IV meets JWS3309 and it is for Aisin AW transmission.

The latest beta v.6 Durametric still does not measure ATF temperature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the Burmah diff fluid the only practical choice or does anyone know if other gear lube will work well? Such as Mobil 75-140 synthetic gear lube. When I drained the Burmah fluid it smelled rotten and was very thin, almost like the viscosity of water.

same story here. How is this "watery oil" qualifies as a lubricant that protects gears with a film? arrr, what film???

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I just got my CS2004 fluids changed @ 64K miles (Transmission + ATF Filter, Transfer case, Front and Rear differential). I bought the car recently and was not feeling good until I do these changes considering the life of the transmission is very much depending on its fluid! so i did that at 64K rather recommended 120k miles.

Anyway, they could fill up the transmission with only 6 liter of fluid where as the manual says change will be 8 liter. I am now afraid if there is not enough fluid in the transmission that could cause foaming inside !! I know that there will always be some oil remaining in Torque Converter and Cooling Pipes that never flush but could that be 3 liter of fluid so that they added only 6 litter? (I think the total capacity is 9 liter)?

Has anyone done this to inform how many liter they filled in?

Thanks in advance.

I recently did my ATF fluid and filter and had a similar experience. I could only get 6-7 quarts in. I then read the instructions more carefully and saw that the procedure to refill should be done with the transmission in neutral and the engine running.

To sum it up fill until it over flows with the engine off(you've already done this), then install the fill plug and shift through D, reverse and 2 repeadedly. Then shift into neutral open the fill plug and top it off from there. All the while the transmission temp needs to be >40 degrees C. I had durametric to read the temp, if you don't, >40C was achieved after about 10 minutes with the engine running and the transmission in D (remaining stopped in the garage the whole time).

It seems as if being in neutral was the key to success to get the last few quarts/liter into the tranmission.

Thanks Jagman1.

I actually left the car in Porsche dealer workshop and they did the job. When I got my invoice I saw that I am charged for 6 liter of ATF fluid, I asked myself why this is not for 8 liter? Maybe they didn't fill it properly (fully)! On the other hand I tried to convince myself that they should know these stuff by heart and this should not be their first time.

Maybe I should get back to them and check if they really followed the procedure! So, could you finally fill it up with the 8 liter?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jagman1.

I actually left the car in Porsche dealer workshop and they did the job. When I got my invoice I saw that I am charged for 6 liter of ATF fluid, I asked myself why this is not for 8 liter? Maybe they didn't fill it properly (fully)! On the other hand I tried to convince myself that they should know these stuff by heart and this should not be their first time.

Maybe I should get back to them and check if they really followed the procedure! So, could you finally fill it up with the 8 liter?

Yes I was able to get ~9 quarts in when I followed the above procedure correctly. It ended up taking around 9.5, but that was after I spilled about 1 qt on the floor. It was a messy job.

Edited by jagman1
  • Upvote 1

I talked to the dealer (as you know my reason/surprise was why they did charge me for 6 liter than 8 liter since the full flush/change should accommodate 8 liter in). They stated that the fluid container they use has always have some fluid in it from previous work/fluid change and so they have added some to the container and I am charged just for the amount added and not what totally used/filled in my CS transmission !! Although seems odd that they do not charge the customer for everything they have used ( the 2 liter itself cost around $90).

In addition, their technician/supervisor said: "we have learned/experienced that even half a quart less than the full amount will make transmission not to work smoothly. You would not have smooth gear changes. so if your gears are changing smooth and flawless then be assured that it is full and complete procedure is followed".

Has anyone changed out the differential oils to 75/90 synthetic instead of using the Burmah oil as recommended by Porsche? Have heard the viscosity of the Burmah compared to water, wondering if having some better lubrication maybe prolonging diff life????

• Upvote 1