Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.6 In Non E-gas Boxster

Maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes:

What would be wrong with transplanting a 996 3.6L into a non E-Gas boxster?

If a suitible mechanical throttle body with a compatible 986 TPS were mounted to the 3.6, why couldn't the Box run the motor?

If the answer is DME related, why couldn't an airflow converter be used in conjunction with the DME to trim the fuel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

insite

If a suitible mechanical throttle body with a compatible 986 TPS were mounted to the 3.6, why couldn't the Box run the motor?

If the answer is DME related, why couldn't an airflow converter be used in conjunction with the DME to trim the fuel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

insite

No it is not a stupid question, the problem people have encounted with the 3.6L in any Boxster older than 2002 is the wiring and ECU. If you go on Ruf's web site they show 3.4L for 2001 & 2002 and 3.6L for 2002, 03 & 04. There is an engine builder who will take your engine and turn it into a 4L motor approaching 400hp. The builder I talked to is Protomotive in Southern California just south of Riverside. You can get to their web site at www.geocities.com/protomotive. Todd was the guy I talked with about a year ago. I sure there are other builders out there that can do the job.

Good luck,

Larry

• 1 month later...

You're incorrect, Jim. The Boxster engine turns the same way as the 996 engine. It is the transmissions that turn in different directions. Think about it - if you transplanted a 996 engine and a 996 transmission into a Boxster, then you would have 1 forward and 5 reverse gears, since the whole 996 setup is essentially backwards.

You're incorrect, Jim. The Boxster engine turns the same way as the 996 engine. It is the transmissions that turn in different directions. Think about it - if you transplanted a 996 engine and a 996 transmission into a Boxster, then you would have 1 forward and 5 reverse gears, since the whole 996 setup is essentially backwards.

Hi,

I knew one of them was backwards, I took a shot and said the engine. Now that I think of it, it should be more likely to be the tranny. Thanks!...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

There is an outfit in England ( http://www.perfectbore.com ) who make big bore cylinder blocks and pistons for the Boxster/996. There was a write up in this month's 911 & Porsche World about Autofarm in the UK who are doing a kit to go up to 3.8 litres. Pricey, though.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

There is an outfit in England ( http://www.perfectbore.com ) who make big bore cylinder blocks and pistons for the Boxster/996.  There was a write up in this month's 911 & Porsche World about Autofarm in the UK who are doing a kit to go up to 3.8 litres.  Pricey, though.

thanks for the info. sounds like fun....

• Admin
Hm, I've read in lots of places that the 911 engines rotate in the opposite direction...

Can someone confirm definitively?

Thanks

Shash

Carrera engines do not turn in the opposite direction - they are mounted facing 180 degrees opposite direction. The difference is in the differential which puts the ring gear on the opposite side in a Boxster. That is how the drive direction is corrected.

Ahh, it's amazing how many people are misinformed on this on other forums... It does make sense that the engine would rotate the same - Porsche would never bother to develop a reverse rotational engine when they could just change the differential...

Thanks!

Shash

• 9 months later...
Hm, I've read in lots of places that the 911 engines rotate in the opposite direction...

Can someone confirm definitively?

Thanks

Shash

Carrera engines do not turn in the opposite direction - they are mounted facing 180 degrees opposite direction. The difference is in the differential which puts the ring gear on the opposite side in a Boxster. That is how the drive direction is corrected.

Loren, does this mean you can get a 996 transmission to work on a Boxster simply by swapping its ring gear to the opposite? Is this ring gear mount swappable or is the difference built into the frame work of things? Also, the tip transmission would be the same?

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my 2 cents worth: pretty much every enigne in the world rotates in the same direction except for 1990s and earlier Honda 4-cylinder engines. They finally caved and now their four cylinders rotate in the same direction as everyone elses.

Interesting about the boring of the 2.5L up to 3.8L. Same block so it makes sense. Would be easier than a transplant for sure. Any idea on exact price and if anyone in the US is doing it?

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add my 2 cents worth: pretty much every enigne in the world rotates in the same direction except for 1990s and earlier Honda 4-cylinder engines. They finally caved and now their four cylinders rotate in the same direction as everyone elses.

Acctually this is not true, All the B and D and H series engines right upto 2004 when the K series engine was introduced all spun backwards. It was not until the new K series engine which has the transmission on the drivers side like a normal FWD car did they spin the proper way.

A D series from a 88 Civic is the same motor more or less as a 03 civic.

• 2 months later...
Ahh, it's amazing how many people are misinformed on this on other forums... It does make sense that the engine would rotate the same - Porsche would never bother to develop a reverse rotational engine when they could just change the differential...

Thanks!

Shash

The only automobile engine I'm aware of that turns in the 'wrong' direction is the Corvair.

Bill

The only automobile engine I'm aware of that turns in the 'wrong' direction is the Corvair.

Bill

Since you read my post about EVERY honda engine turning backwards until 2002 you now know it's not just the Corvair. oh wait. you obviously didn't read my post.

Bill

Since you read my post about EVERY honda engine turning backwards until 2002 you now know it's not just the Corvair. oh wait. you obviously didn't read my post.

Sure I did. That's why I wrote "that I'm aware of."

Interesting about the boring of the 2.5L up to 3.8L. Same block so it makes sense. Would be easier than a transplant for sure. Any idea on exact price and if anyone in the US is doing it?

bump on this question, i dont see why it cant be done i'v had a couple of 1600cc vw motors built to 2332cc's and they have been very dependable and very strong motors

• 3 months later...

bump on this question, i dont see why it cant be done i'v had a couple of 1600cc vw motors built to 2332cc's and they have been very dependable and very strong motors

This doesn't necessarily answer your question:

I think there are other differences other than 'just' the bore and stroke between the various 2.5 / 2.7 / 3.2 / 3.4 / 3.6 / 3.8 units.

I dont have any costings for increasing the capacity of an existing motor. I have just been reading another thread where Todd [tholyoak] installed a 3.6 into an early box which started life as a 2.5 and then became a 3.4 and then 3.6. He seemed to get it going ok although it is simpler if you have a later E-gas Boxster. Its here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11411

Autofarm are the guys in the UK who seem to know what they're doing when it comes to rebuilding the M96 engines and converting / upgrading. Apparently you can get to 4 litres if you start with a 3.6 and they oversize its bores.

• 3 months later...

I think there are other differences other than 'just' the bore and stroke between the various 2.5 / 2.7 / 3.2 / 3.4 / 3.6 / 3.8 units.

there was an article on this in porsche world magazine which said that all the engines are essentially the same apart from bore and stroke oh and wiring Egas etc but the core engine is the same

there was an article on this in porsche world magazine which said that all the engines are essentially the same apart from bore and stroke oh and wiring Egas etc but the core engine is the same

Yes but there are differences with valves, cams and some of the pulleys / cogs.

• 2 months later...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

insite

No it is not a stupid question, the problem people have encounted with the 3.6L in any Boxster older than 2002 is the wiring and ECU. If you go on Ruf's web site they show 3.4L for 2001 & 2002 and 3.6L for 2002, 03 & 04. There is an engine builder who will take your engine and turn it into a 4L motor approaching 400hp. The builder I talked to is Protomotive in Southern California just south of Riverside. You can get to their web site at www.geocities.com/protomotive. Todd was the guy I talked with about a year ago. I sure there are other builders out there that can do the job.

Good luck,

Larry

But does anyone know for sure, what has to be replaced when you put a 3.6L in a 2000 Boxster? The 2000 Boxster has eGas but not Variocam Plus. A flash obviously has to be done, but do you need to replace the DME? The 2000 Boxster comes with DME part number 996.618.605.00. The 03- 996 switched over to DME part number 996.618.604.00. Does anyone know the difference between these two parts? Can the 996.618.605.00 DME be retrofitted with a pin or two to talk to the Variocam Plus?

Thanks!