Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Retrofit lights in Stock Halogen housings.

My stock H7's fit into a socket that slides into the headlight assembly and turns to lock (three tabs that slide into corresponding grooves on the assembly) tightly to the assembly. The stock connector has two wires (yellow and brown) going to it.I can't figure out how to get the HID bulb to snug up. Nothing seems to fit.

TIm - Unequipped for DIY mods

What you describe is much like many american cars and completely different than the Boxster. Since the back end of the HID and the H7 Halogen bulbs are so similar, I'm surprised that it does not fit. I'd contact the vendor and see if there is an alternative bulb. Perhaps what you received is not the correct replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many 986 owners that have done this retrofit have had electrical issues afterwards? I have daytime running lights in my 01 986. I thought the 987 had the most problems with daytime running lights.

Secondly, I understand most people are doing the retrofit on the low beams. What happens when you use the highs and then go back to the lows? Is there a pause with no light while the xenons re-ignite? If so, how long does it take?

thx Norm

2001 Boxster, 5 spd, Seal Grey

How many 986 owners that have done this retrofit have had electrical issues afterwards? I have daytime running lights in my 01 986. I thought the 987 had the most problems with daytime running lights.

Secondly, I understand most people are doing the retrofit on the low beams. What happens when you use the highs and then go back to the lows? Is there a pause with no light while the xenons re-ignite? If so, how long does it take?

thx Norm

2001 Boxster, 5 spd, Seal Grey

Norm,

Your lows stay ON when you switch to high beams, hence the problem that you envision does not occur.

Bob

What's a bulb retainer ring????

I ordered Porche part # 996-631-128-00 from Sunset Porsche in Beaverton , OR. Great people to work with. $4.99 each.

Tim --Too much snow for the car so I haven't tried to retofit yet.

But Tim, what does it do???

Bob

I ordered Porche part # 996-631-128-00 from Sunset Porsche in Beaverton , OR. Great people to work with. $4.99 each.

Tim --Too much snow for the car so I haven't tried to retofit yet.

But Tim, what does it do???

Bob

It holds the HID bulb so I can securely install the bulb into the headlight socket where the H7 bulb fits. My H7 bulb has a quarter twist ring that locks it in.

The HID bulb has no locking mechanism, it needs a locking ring. I will need to cut out the center part of the new holder as it is too narrow to allow the bulb through it. I have a picture of it but I don't know how to post it here.

Tim

If this worked it is #3 on the picpost-25200-1201455293_thumb.jpg

post-25200-1201455414_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks to this thread I went ahead and ordered a kit from CQLights as well. I got the 6000K. Installation was very easy. The only question I had was about the negative / positive wires in the original light socket, but a quick search revealed that brown is negative and yellow is positive. I was also able to fit everything inside the headlamp housing. No holes, no wires hanging outside. The ballast fits inside the housing and I glued it to the cover. Earlier pictures showed the ballast unit being bulkier / heavier. Mine is pretty slim, about 1/2 inch deep, and probably 3" x 2.5".

I also taped some duct tape on top of the ballast unit so that it doesn't cause a short in case it touches the other connections.

My lights are very bright, but I think I need to adjust them, they seem to be a little low and spread apart. I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Thank You all for discussing this toping and helping others :)

azzar0.

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed this mod with help from this thread. The HID Litronic or xenon conversion was pretty simple. I bought my untis on ebay for about 80 bucks with shipping. I used the H7 bulb type with teh 5000K temperature color. My wife's VW Touareg came with bi-xenon and they are at 4300K. 4300K is apparently the peak light output. 5000K was the closest I could get. I had to drill a small hole for the wiring. This thread helped me determine brown was negative. I mounted the ballast to the outside edge of each light just inside the fenders. My kit came with a mounting bracket to hold each ballast. I used a self tapping sheet metal screw and the double sided tape to hold it in place. Sealed the holes in the back of the light houseing with some black silicone. They look great, no need for any adjustments and the light output is more than stock.

I have to admit, using the provided tool to "pop" out the head assemblies made me a little nervous since I was unsure what to expect. What a simple and easy way to remove them! I didn't post any pictures because there are more than enough here for people to see. Nice easy mod.

ABE

so it looks like from reading that 5000k is the most desirable color? 6000k starts getting the blue? 5000k is closest to most factory HID kits?

and no retainer ring needed for 986, right?

I personally like the 5000K as it was very close to factory bi-xenon as compare to my wife's Touareg. A little hint of blue around the edges, just like hers. Nice bright white light too. No retainer ring needed. I can PM you more specifics if needed.

so it looks like from reading that 5000k is the most desirable color? 6000k starts getting the blue? 5000k is closest to most factory HID kits?

and no retainer ring needed for 986, right?

I personally like the 5000K as it was very close to factory bi-xenon as compare to my wife's Touareg. A little hint of blue around the edges, just like hers. Nice bright white light too. No retainer ring needed. I can PM you more specifics if needed.

thanks, that's all i needed... my 5000k's with slim ballast and lifetime warranty - $105 shipped :) en route

I've also completed this mod - using 4300K bulbs with slimline ballasts. Managed to fit the whole unit inside the headlight housing, so no drilling required.

Great part was the Dollar to Euro conversion - only cost me 70 euro shipped from Hong Kong to Ireland B)

I've been following recent posts on the HID conversion. Mine was done over the winter using the CQLights kit, as others use. Since installing these my batt and oil pressure warning lights on the instrument cluster light when the headlights are turned on. Turning off the engine and restarting cures it. CQ is mystified and have not been able to help me. The question is if any of you have experienced anything similar?????

Thanks, Bob

i've had no electricical warnings since fitting - However I previously owned an M3, which I fitted them too, and would constantly be told on the OBC that the bulbs were blown, i.e. the power draw (35watts), was less than the standard bulb (55watt), hence the computer assumed a problem.

I've been following recent posts on the HID conversion. Mine was done over the winter using the CQLights kit, as others use. Since installing these my batt and oil pressure warning lights on the instrument cluster light when the headlights are turned on. Turning off the engine and restarting cures it. CQ is mystified and have not been able to help me. The question is if any of you have experienced anything similar?????

Thanks, Bob

I've had my CQLights kit in for about a month now and I never had these lights come on. What temperature are yours? Did they come with the slim ballast?

azzar0.

Thanks, Bob

I've had my CQLights kit in for about a month now and I never had these lights come on. What temperature are yours? Did they come with the slim ballast?

azzar0.

I have had the CQ kit on my '01 986 (base) for close to a year and never experienced any problems either (knock on wood)

Best,

Gus

azzar0.

My kit was purchased around Oct '07. The current pic on the CQ website looks different and slimmer than mine (per my recall). I have written CQ to determine if there can be a relationship between the change of ballasts and the problem that I'm been having with the ones in my kit. My bulbs are 5000k, but I doubt that it could make a difference as I believe the difference between the bulbs is just coatings inside the glass. I appreciate the opinions and info in recent posts.

Bob

Edited by itzbob46

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone run the 350z kit for an extended time yet?

I'm getting some clear headlights for my 97 which include the 350z backplate conversion as well as all the OEM pieces.

I just don't want to spend this kind of money and get "browning" on my lenses.

Thanks, Tim

azzar0.

My kit was purchased around Oct '07. The current pic on the CQ website looks different and slimmer than mine (per my recall). I have written CQ to determine if there can be a relationship between the change of ballasts and the problem that I'm been having with the ones in my kit. My bulbs are 5000k, but I doubt that it could make a difference as I believe the difference between the bulbs is just coatings inside the glass. I appreciate the opinions and info in recent posts.

Bob

UPDATE --- no luck! CQ wrote back to say that the differences in the ballasts (silver or black) is merely cosmetic and that the specs for each are the same. So, this is not related to my problem of having batt. and oil pressure indicator warning lights come on whenever my headlamps are turned on. I'm tempted to undo the install of the HIDs (just as a temporary experiment to determine if the problem is truely related to the HIDs or just an electrical problem in my particular car.

Just did mine - fifteen minutes total. 2001S. Newer kit from Xenon Expert. It has smaller electronics and everything fit right inside the housing with no need to drill a hole or extend the wires outside the factory housing. Bulbs went into socket like they were made by Porsche. No tools other than to remove headlight housing. Everything works as normal and alignment appears correct althogh it is daytime and not easy to be certain. No dash light problems or anything, although only tested a couple of times.

Good service from Xenon Expert. I could have used better installation paperwork from the manufacturer, but that isn't the distributor's fault. Just would have been nice to know they use blue for hot and black for ground - little things like that.

I'm coming from an 05 STi and miss the HID's. I'll have to get some of these.

I love my retrofit kit from vertexauto. The fit and finish was great and even provided a factory light back plate which was predrilled. the difference is phenomenal. My previous car was a 04 STI so I am used to the HIDs, I live in Seattle and for winter months like now where it is dark when you go to work and dark when you come home, the difference is very significant.

let me know if anyone has any questions about the vertex kit.

honda_nos

I will chime in on this topic since I've driven my 986 w/ a Xenon retrofit for awhile now.

Yes,visibility is GREATLY increased.

The cut off isn't great for installing xenons in standard h7 assemblies. I notice that the passenger side light pattern shoots slightly upwards and every once and awhile I can see inside the car in front of me at stop lights. :P The Litronics have a projector that helps the xenon light prevent such a thing from happening.

All-in-all I LOVE the difference. I recommend them since the lowest I've seen LItronics for is $1.7k. $100-150 for a retrofit kit are a steal compared to Litronics.