Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S mileage

Folks,

I recently joined this forum after becoming a proud owner of a used 2000 Boxster S with 57.5 miles on it.

It had gone thru a few hands in the last 6 yrs and hence recently got the 60K service done.

I do notice that between my 60% in-road and 40% freeway - I'm only getting an avg of 18 mpg on it.

I don't drive crazily or like a 60yr old grandpa but I feel like that is pretty low mileage.

Am I missing anything here?

I read that 20mpg in city and 26 mpg in hwy is the sticker on this car.

Why am I so low?

Any inputs on what to look for here?

It just came out of a 60K service and everything looks good, except for this squeal (more like a shrill) sound that seems to come from the front when the AC runs and the car is idling or <10mph. The sound is unpredictable but only when the AC runs. The mechanic said that I may need a new blower motor ($450) part but he said that it shouldn't hurt the car for now. Any ideas on this?

Also looking for new rear tires. The car came with the P-zeros but I'm not an auto-crosser or a serious racer per se. So looking at the Kumho SPTs... are these good?

Any recommendations on the above would be very much appreciated.....

As much as I am beaming with pride, everything I look at my Artic Silver ride, these thoughts cross my mind and would like your expert opinions on the same.

Many thanks in advance!

Vish

first off, advertised numbers are just plain off

I drive my S quite a bit as it's my daily driver, and my comp readout says my mileage varies from 16 to 24 from tank to tank, it really (and I mean really) depends on how I drive, the car is so fun to push that it's tough to see the upper end

I've found that I actually get better mileage if I don't switch up to 6th until I've traveling over 75, and if I can keep it at about 74 before the spoiler pops out it will get even better mileage. Oddly, perhaps because of the spoiler, I seem to get better mileage going 80 in 6th than I do going 70 in 6th

oh, and remember that when the top is down you'll lose 1-3mpg

as for tires, you're best off keeping the same tire type front to back, having differing amounts of grip because of tread patterns and tire compounds could have very dangerous consequences, if the PZero's aren't to you liking you're best off getting all 4 tires, typically your fronts will last twice as long as your rears so it's easiest to bite the bullet when they're both ready to go :)

have fun with it, these things are a blast :)

I don't drive crazily or like a 60yr old grandpa but I feel like that is pretty low mileage...

Hey, I am a 60 yr old grandpa. I drive my '01S with plenty of gusto and am also frequently in the 16 mpg range. But like stumpjumper, it can vary wildly depending on what I'm doing with the tank of gas. According to my OBC, I average about 4.5 mpg in an autocross! ;)

Hey, I am a 60 yr old grandpa. I drive my '01S with plenty of gusto and am also frequently in the 16 mpg range. But like stumpjumper, it can vary wildly depending on what I'm doing with the tank of gas. According to my OBC, I average about 4.5 mpg in an autocross! ;)

When your drivin hard the MPG goes into the toilet. My Talon get 1.5 GPM (yeah gallons per mile) when I'm drag racing runnin 120octane (VP C16, $8.50/gal) but will pull 25-30mpg when driving normally on the highway.

If your beatin it up the MPG goes down. THe 20/26 they advertise is driving as slowly and lightly as possible in the best environment etc... You can achieve that but not having any fun.

Folks,

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Good ones - stumpjumper!

I realized that I do shift into 6th much sooner (around 60ish in the freeway)...always thought top gear as soon as possible and not be revving up as much.

I don't drive hard but it is not easy to stay from pushing the S around a bit...I bought the Porsche after driving an 2000 Eclipse GT for 6 years (still have this as a daily rider - although I haven't taken it out much since I bought the Porsche 2 weeks ago :drive: )

I do keep the top down all the time, which should explain why I'm down on the rate mileage too.

Mickf - I apologize on my remark. I see too many ppl around that age group that drive 911s like they are buicks/oldsmobiles..I'm 28. :beer:

My first Porsche and I simply don't sleep in my bed anymore....

Jim - I agree on the fun part. If I wanted just mileage - I would still be driving my Mitsu which avgs around 25-26 on a tank of 87-grade. The S is simply a blast and well worth the 40 bucks that I ooze into it, weekly!!

Also folks, on the note about the Kumho SPT - It is no N3 P-zero (which is considered Porsche rated) but if I dont autocross or since I live in dry dry AZ, do I need the high end Pirelli or can I safely live with the Kumhos?

• Moderators

I can't recommend mixing tire brands front to rear, especially if you engage in "spirited" driving. Either buy a set of rears to match to the front, or (my recomedation) replace all 4 tires with nice new rubber. If there is still good tread on the fronts, talk to the tire shop and ask if they will give you something for them. Most places sell used tires and will give you a few $$ for tires with decent tread.

The Kumho SPT is a decent budget tire. Another decent tire to look at is the Avon Tech M500. However, Tirerack has a closeout on the Bridgestone RE050A right now. This is (IMHO - I just bought a set for myself) a much better tire and at the current price is right in line with the Kumho and Avon.

Good Luck,

Graeme

Vish.

I am a 50 yr old grandpa and a spirited driver. I am known to throw a tantrum if I have to put the top up and I average 20mpg in mostly mountain driving. My car is a joyride only and not a daily driver. I can't seem to keep my right foot off the gas. I am running Goodyear Eagles and am very satisfied. I have no experience with the Kumhos. Check some of the other posts regarding tires... lots of good ideas. Feel the permagrin. :D

I get between 14 and 24 and 20 typical which is about 75% freeway. I also avoid sitting in traffic like the plague.

Gas cost is insignificant once you factor in other costs such as tire costs*, insurance, depreciation, maintenance, etc. You bought the car to enjoy it, so enjoying it as much as you can actually brings down the cost/smile.

* An interesting but depressing calculation is to figure out how much $ you put into tires every time you fill up. Then, you can do the same for insurance, etc. You'll care a lot less about MPG if you do.

I'm researching on the Kumho SPTs and BF Goodrich g-Force Sport and will keep everyone posted on which one I'm going to hop one. The plan is to change all 4s from P-zeros (too pricey for me) to the ones above.

I did realize that with the top on - I avg around 20ish - including my implusive - stepping on the gas, every so often (Ahem - read as almost - every time I get a chance :jump: )

On the insurance cost - I was actually surprised that I only pay around 150 a month (or 900 for 6 months) for both my cars - 2000 Mitsu GT and 2000 Porsche Boxster S with 500 for both collision/comprehensive. I used to pay 110 pm for the Mitsu alone before, so the Boxster didn't realize hike me up too much.

After the 60k service, I'm hoping I don't have to pony up $$s for someone (**fingers crossed**). I had gotten my tire rotation at Pepboys (my Mitsu has tires from them) and the service guy (a friend) was like - What you bought a Porsche! Be prepared for some expensive labor work!

Pepboys charges 83 bucks/hr and my Porsche mechanic does 90 bucks/hr (60k service + front brake pads/rotors replaced (with OEM) - ran me only 1200.) - hmmm!

I plan to get my hands dirty with most of the DIY that I have seen here. Great work/inputs from all. Appreciate the comradery here...

My Mitsu is a daily rider - although got a few offers to buy it from me. I've had the Mitsu since Day 1 and have a sentimental attachment to it. 133K miles and still driving strong (PM at due times helps too).

Boxster is a childhood drool at car, now is resting quite comfortably in my garage.

V

• 2 months later...

I used to average about 25mpg (80% highway, 20% not). Cleaned my MAF due to some irregular idling and cleaned the cars throttlebody. Now average consumption is up to 18-20mpg.

Maybe my MAF has gone south?

20mpg without trashing the throttle is not a good average. I believe your MAF is not 100% and the car thinks it's leaning whilst actually it is not. Hence the car will inject more fuel then is necessary. Also my exhaust has a strong smell to it. Like unburnt fuel..

:renntech:

I drive my 02 Base in town about 75% of the time (unfortunately). I drive aggressively but do not abuse my car by any means. Even with tons of starts and stops in the Orlando area I average 18-19 mpg. I did have a complete 60K service done a few months ago but have not had my MAF cleaned yet.

I drive my 02 Base in town about 75% of the time (unfortunately). I drive aggressively but do not abuse my car by any means. Even with tons of starts and stops in the Orlando area I average 18-19 mpg. I did have a complete 60K service done a few months ago but have not had my MAF cleaned yet.

Hi James,

An avergage of 18-19mpg for non highway driving is acceptable. For mainly highway, constant 70mph it is not. Since yesterdag my CEL came on too. I'll have to read today. Probably needs new MAF of Oxygen sensors is my guess.. :( Warranty though! :P

Greets,

doubleb

holland

For mileage, high teens seems reasonable. My city mileage is much worse than highway. But, I did not buy this car for mileage. Have fun and don't worry about it. I even thrown in some 100 octane every once in a while.

Same for tires, I don't care how long tires last. I bought the car to have fun. With that said, there are some very good budget tires out there. My RE750s had the same stick as my PZeros, were a lot cheaper and had a treadwear rating of something like more than double. They would not wear out. Agree on replacing all 4 at the same time, though.