Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what is this gimzo?

took the engine hatches off tonight for the first time since I bought this car a couple weeks back. Everything looked clean, dry and the belt looked almost new.

Anyways, I have attached one photo and circled some gizmo that I cannot find in the manual or Bentley. What is this? It was very very oily just in that one part. It could be below the power steering res which had it share of dirty/fluid but I think it appears to be a terminate for a recirc of some type.

Just curious to what it is and should I expect to be really oily for a 60K 1997.

Sorry for the crappy photo, camera phones don't like close ups in low light.

thanks.

(should have mentioned that this is on the left side on top of the head, but you most likly know that already if you are answering this question!)

post-13335-1159154821_thumb.jpg

Edited by rsfeller

Shawn,

The comedians are so busy upstaging one another that they forgot the question, it always happens over the weekend.......too much beer. Haha

I would hazard a guess at the gizmo being a 'breather/vent, or one way valve' type thing. probably on some of the pipes attached to the crankcase.

Since your car is a US specification car, but not a California vehicle, that is the syncro-rectoverter intake port. It measures ambient particulate densities for modulation of the moloniod. If your car is a Boxster S, then there are dual molonoids.

Moderator, eh?

• Moderators
Since your car is a US specification car, but not a California vehicle, that is the syncro-rectoverter intake port. It measures ambient particulate densities for modulation of the moloniod. If your car is a Boxster S, then there are dual molonoids.

Moderator, eh?

And world renowned Porsche expert too! :eek:

Moderator, eh?

And world renowned Porsche expert too! :eek:

<_<

somehow I don't doubt Porsche implimenting yet another sensor and one that measure particle density to regulate fog light intensity or such...but is it fair to say the esteemed board of members here have been stumped or is there some reason this information is not being released about my inquiry about the gizmolonid?

What I want to know is why do we care what it is? What purpose will finding out what that black piece of plastic on the engine serve?

What a stupid reply to my inquiry, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

My inquiry has nothing to do with what "we" care it has to do with a question "I" asked from competent list members. It appears to be a sensor or outlet of sorts and being covered with oil is slightly concerning when the rest of the engine is fairly clean. Oil being vented can be a sign of a bad crankcase check valve and incorrect crank case pressures can damage engine seals. I've seen it happen on my Saabs before and since I'm new to the 986 world I don't know the engine well, yet. So I have researching a reason for oil venting from this area.

BTW your picture sucks too so it's hard to make a guess.

Thank you Doctor Obvious about the photo quality. Not only did I state an apology for photo quality in the initial post but you found time in your busy day to answer this post with nothing constructive other then to point this out again.

Although the photo quality is not superb most enthusiasts can identify an engine part based on its location alone. Next time add something constructive (or at least funny like the first coupe of posters) or don't bother.

Maybe my clarification and explaination for my initial inquiry will help others to answer the question and keep the haters at bay.

Edited by rsfeller

My apologies to you

You asked an intelligent question and got nothing but crap for answers.

In an attempt to answer the question, I searched through the parts list that often answers such questions for probably 15 minutes only to be stymied. Which may explain why you haven't gotten an intelligent answer, because others are struggling to come up with the answer to a question they have never seen posed before.

My guess is some sort of pressure relief valve. But I can't prove that.

Edited by mikefocke

My apologies to you

You asked an intelligent question and got nothing but crap for answers.

In an attempt to answer the question, I searched through the parts list that often answers such questions for probably 15 minutes only to be stymied. Which may explain why you haven't gotten an intelligent answer, because others are struggling to come up with the answer to a question they have never seen posed before.

My guess is some sort of pressure relief valve. But I can't prove that.

Thanks for a good guess. Like many new 986 owners I have bought many books and manuals including Bentley, Tech Service manual and all the 986 history/story books. The later have some great photos of the engine on a bench and NOT ONE has the "gizmo" in question.

I will eventually be visiting a dealer for a PST2 scan for my heater issue, I'll give them the photo and put this question to bed!

I was really surprised a few of our best question answers didn't chime in!

Shawn,

I would hazard a guess at the gizmo being a 'breather/vent, or one way valve' type thing. probably on some of the pipes attached to the crankcase.

This was post number 6. Okay so it's officially called a PCV, yeah right...... but wasn't I on the money?

Do I not win the prize?

Edited by Donie

Shawn,

This was post number 6. Okay so it's officially called a PCV, yeah right...... but wasn't I on the money?

Do I not win the prize?

We'll pass out the winnings once I get it to the Porsche dealer next week!

It is slightly dirty with oil but not wet, so I'm not to concerned now. As I stated before I would guess we want the crankvalves working correctly so they don't help push the crankcase seal out!

• Moderators

Here is another "what is it" thread on the UK board boxa.net.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24258

---To quote epod from the London area:

"Can anybody tell me what this wire is for? Noticed it hanging down from underneath the front bumper. It is quite fine gauge with grey insulation and a short rubber sleeve on the end which seems to have a sealed end, although that could be as a result of it dragging along the road, until I wedged it up inside.

It not from the pointy thing (temp sensor ?) that sticks out through the front grille.

Everything seems to be working OK, including the alarm. Should I be worried ?"

---End of quote from epod.

About all I can tell you about the above, is that I do not see a yellow rectangle in epod's picture, shown below....

post-4-1160187048_thumb.jpg