Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic control module

I was going to install my Litronic control module, but something doesn't look right. When looking at the instructions on Pelican parts it shows a big black wiring clip on the inside left fender(passenger). The white wire from control module attaches here. On my car this big clip is not there, just a bundle of wires. ( from the headlight to somewhere.....) I see a big white wiring clip on the far right hand corner behind the brake reservoir. Is this the clip I need to attach the white wire too?

• Moderators

Do not know, as for a 2002 up we do what porsche says, which is to hook up the white wire from the control unit to a white wire with a black stripe in the white 21 pin connector next to the brake booster. The white wire with the black stripe is the high beam wire.

Two things to consider.

The white 21 pin connector has several wires. You want the white wire with the black stripe. But there is also a black wire with a white stripe. It is hard to tell the difference. One is fatter than the other, but I forget if you want the thin or fat wire. The wire you want is in hole #2.

If you mount the control unit on the passenger side then the white wire from the control unit is too short to go over to the white connector, so you have to add a lenght of wire to get over there. Or, you can mount the control unit in the brake booster area so you do not have to make the white wire from the control unit longer.

Here is a not too good picture of the wire in the white connector you want. The wire has been removed from the connector.

post-4-1160108486_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I can't see how it would matter, but we used the wire as it runs from the connector to the front of the car.

Like in this picture as an example from when I put in air horns. The red wire is for the air horn compressor. I removed the horn wire from the connector and soldered the red wire to it. Put the pin back in the connector and now I had 2 wires combined. Easy when you have the correct pin removal tool. You need to combine 2 wires together like I did. If you do it like this then keep in mind the connector has a secondary lock which needs to be slid over before you can remove the pin.

post-4-1160110672_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm sure only factory installed litronics move up and down when first turned on. Factory installed litronics have sensors in the suspension that automatically level the low beam depending on the load in the vehicle. Since yours are not factory , your low beam should only rotate up when the high beams are activated. I can't remember if my factory litronics on my Carrera moved up and down. Those were Bi-Xenon, not sure if that makes a difference.

Well thats weird cause they moved up and down the first & second time i turned on the low beam's after installing the control box, then once more when i went to move my car outside. I turned on the ignition and then the low beams and they moved up and down, then started the car and they moved up and down once more once the engine turned on but hasnt moved since yesterday..

Oh another weird thing i noticed on my 1997 boxster when running the wires from the harness to the drivers side headlight, I did not have to drill a hole like the directions say to because i had a hole with a plug in it just like the passenger side fender had. Does that mean my boxster was meant to have factory litronics?

What should i look for to tell if i had litronics before i owned the car in the past?

Edited by CJ_Boxster

• Moderators

Litronics was not an option until 1999.

I have a 1997 and it has the 2 holes with plugs.

We have done the retrofit on a 2000 and 2002, and they did not have the holes. We did not make holes on those cars because we figured out another way to run the 2 harnesses from the control unit to the back of the headlights. Each harness has a gromet installed and we removed them as they were not needed.

Litronics was not an option until 1999.

I have a 1997 and it has the 2 holes with plugs.

We have done the retrofit on a 2000 and 2002, and they did not have the holes. We did not make holes on those cars because we figured out another way to run the 2 harnesses from the control unit to the back of the headlights. Each harness has a gromet installed and we removed them as they were not needed.

Jeff:

Are your CD's that include the Litronic retrofit still available?

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators
I'm sure only factory installed litronics move up and down when first turned on. Factory installed litronics have sensors in the suspension that automatically level the low beam depending on the load in the vehicle. Since yours are not factory , your low beam should only rotate up when the high beams are activated.

That is not correct, correctly installed after market lits move up and down when first turned on................

Edited by JFP in PA

JFP is correct, if the control unit is properly installed, it receives a switched 12V. Thus when you turn the key on you should hear the lights cycle up and down. Sounds like you don't have a good 12V connection or a good ground powering to the control unit.

Todd

I installed litronics in my 02 S about six months ago. The lights swivel up and down when I turn the car on and up when I hit the hi beams. However, for some reason the hi beam bulb on the driver side does not work.

I have replaced the bulb and also put back the original driver's side light, but the hi beam still didn't work. I don't realy mind since the lights swivel up when the hi beams on, but it would be nice to have everyting working.

Any ideas as to why the driver's side hi beam bulb doesn't work?

Thanks.