Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition key stuck

Hi, i have a 99 Boxster 2.5 and have had problems recently with the ignition key, the problem began when i took the key out the radio stayed on, i had put the tip of the key in the lock give it a wiggle and it seemed a spring mechanism would release and sorted the problem.

But today the key is now stuck in the barrel and i cant get it out, any advice would be appreciated.

I took my wife's Boxster to the dealer a week ago to check for a potential problem in this area due to a letter we received from PNA a couple of weeks ago. The check/fix was done in less than an hour at no cost. Funny thing is that the letter said in large letters "SECOND NOTICE" and we never received the first. Her car is a '99 Tip.

I think you need a new ignition switch. If its not under warranty, you can buy the part on line for $30. Its the same switch as the Audis. The install takes about 15 minutes but you need to be a contortionist so you might want to let a mechanic do it. There are specific instructions on this website.

I think you need a new ignition switch. If its not under warranty, you can buy the part on line for $30. Its the same switch as the Audis. The install takes about 15 minutes but you need to be a contortionist so you might want to let a mechanic do it. There are specific instructions on this website.

Is the ingition eating problem really the inexpensive electrical switch fix or more to do with the tumbler/transponder assmbly that is less common the the failure you mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, i have a 99 Boxster 2.5 and have had problems recently with the ignition key, the problem began when i took the key out the radio stayed on, i had put the tip of the key in the lock give it a wiggle and it seemed a spring mechanism would release and sorted the problem.

But today the key is now stuck in the barrel and i cant get it out, any advice would be appreciated.

its the ignition switch. Cost is about $10. Buy one and replace it yourself. I just did mine.

• 5 weeks later...

I looked for the link to instructions on this site but no luck. Could you help me out? My key is stuck in the on position. :huh: I had to kill the motor and disconnect the battery and then leave the front trunk open so I can get at the battery again. I called the dealer but he just says bring it in. That's a 30 mile tow from here. I do have a shop manual on CD from the UK. It told me to put a wire in the slot along side the tumbler while the key is in and tumbler will just come out. A large paperclip did the job. The key cylinder came out with the key. The key also came out of the cylinder. However, when I cleaned it up and put it back in, the key just gets stuck again, so the problem is the ignition switch. I can't figure out how to get it out without removing the whole dash. UK shop manual is no help there except I get the idea that in order to remove the dash (should that be needed) I first need a PhD in rocket science. (2001 Boxster S)

• Admin

I looked for the link to instructions on this site but no luck. Could you help me out? My key is stuck in the on position. :huh: I had to kill the motor and disconnect the battery and then leave the front trunk open so I can get at the battery again. I called the dealer but he just says bring it in. That's a 30 mile tow from here. I do have a shop manual on CD from the UK. It told me to put a wire in the slot along side the tumbler while the key is in and tumbler will just come out. A large paperclip did the job. The key cylinder came out with the key. The key also came out of the cylinder. However, when I cleaned it up and put it back in, the key just gets stuck again, so the problem is the ignition switch. I can't figure out how to get it out without removing the whole dash. UK shop manual is no help there except I get the idea that in order to remove the dash (should that be needed) I first need a PhD in rocket science. (2001 Boxster S)

Replacing the Ignition Switch

• 3 weeks later...

You guys rock ! (I sound like my teenagers)

I bought the $7 part. It got lost by USPS but finally got here. I used a mirror and made a short narrow screw driver to get at the inset screws. I unbundled the wiring a little to detach the old piece which I did by prying with a small screwdriver. Like someone else said, the new piece has a female semicircular slot. You have to get that lined up with the male piece from the back of key cylinder assembly by rotating the key or if the cylinder has been removed then a screw driver in the slot the the key cylinder goes into. When they matched up the rest was a piece of cake. I am sure with towing, labor, a whole steering lock assembly (not just this small piece) the whole thing would have set me back $600 or so. There is buried treasure in this site you just have to mine it. Many thanks

:cheers:

I bought the $7 part. It got lost by USPS but finally got here. I used a mirror and made a short narrow screw driver to get at the inset screws. I unbundled the wiring a little to detach the old piece which I did by prying with a small screwdriver. Like someone else said, the new piece has a female semicircular slot. You have to get that lined up with the male piece from the back of key cylinder assembly by rotating the key or if the cylinder has been removed then a screw driver in the slot the the key cylinder goes into. When they matched up the rest was a piece of cake. I am sure with towing, labor, a whole steering lock assembly (not just this small piece) the whole thing would have set me back $600 or so. There is buried treasure in this site you just have to mine it. Many thanks

Your a licky man. My ignition in my 99 996 failed (key was would not go back into ignition) and I was in a parking lot a ways from home and I had to replace the whole tumbler assembly. $ 600 bucks :cursing:

Oh well. First problem I ever had with the car.

Phillipj

Your a licky man. My ignition in my 99 996 failed (key was would not go back into ignition) and I was in a parking lot a ways from home and I had to replace the whole tumbler assembly. $ 600 bucks :cursing:

Phillipj

I meant lucky not licky...Sorry

Phillipj

I meant lucky not licky...Sorry

I'm not an electrical expert. I ran into the same thing when I first got my Boxster and it was during the cold season. The ignition switch was hard to turn on first try in the morning. I thought it just needed to be lubricated so I sprayed it with some electrical contact cleaner you can get at your local parts store. All summer had no problem till the weather hits 35 and below in my area sprayed it yesterday so far no problem. Maybe someone who knows how this is contructed internally and maybe it will enlighten me as to why it's hard to rotate when it is cold.

Ben