Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I had Farnbacher-loles install a complete system on my car, everything from headers right out to the tail pipes. At the same time, they upgraded my stock air box to the X51 and dyno tuned the car. This even included such details as changing the oil filler tube to the correct length for a perfect stock look in the engine compartment.

According to Kip at F-L, the final results on the dyno were run # 26, with the engine heat soaked after multiple passes and tweaking the software.

The results: Car came in at 357 HP, went out with 393 HP. Torque went up 35 ft-lbs as well. I have over 300 ft-lps or torque availible from about 2100 r.p.m., so the car is responsive in almost every gear. The cost for all this was just a shade under 10K, installed tweaked and with a lifetime warranty. (Nice to know that the engine met or slightly exceeded spec, kudo's to Porsche here;)

I believe this to be an excellent value, especially in light of the X51 kit. My car sounds the same, but more so, if that makes sense. There is no drone, no buzz or vibration at any engine RPM. I have never seen a C.E.L., or had any hesitation, backfiring or any other unwanted behavior.

In short, the F-L mod to me is what Porsche should be offering as the X51 kit from the factory. I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Similar to "function analysis", I went with the Europipe system and the 100 cell cats. No CEL's...nothing but great sound and performance....expensive yes, but worth it...yes. With the EP system and without a flash, I'm running a .9 bar boost in my TT.

• 1 year later...
Similar to "function analysis", I went with the Europipe system and the 100 cell cats. No CEL's...nothing but great sound and performance....expensive yes, but worth it...yes. With the EP system and without a flash, I'm running a .9 bar boost in my TT.

Anyone with Tubi exhaust on their 996?

The NSX prime guys like their exhaust system/muffler.

Thanks.

i have done extensive research over the last few months and i am very confused about what aftermarket exhaust is the best. i received a full exhaust system from one of the above mentioned companies and the quality was sub-par. after viewing pictures the salesman agreed w/me concerning the quality and accepted back the product i'm now back to square 1. my 997 CS is sitting in my garage w/the stock system removed. has anyone done any type of comparisons or purchases of the headers, cat's, & mufflers from any of these tuning companies? i know enough at this point what to require 1. mandrel bent tubing (no welds on angles as it will interupt the air flow) 2. good customer service (not a company only willing to correspond through e-mail) 3. german made cat's that have a guarantee not to turn on your co2 sensor 4. fitment: products that will fit together w/perfection 5. reasonable price

A). Who has the best HEADERS? WHY?

B). Who has the best Cat's? WHY?

C). Who has the best Mufflers? WHY?

You can't go wrong with Porsche PSE and X-51 headers ( I assume you have a 3.8 with Y exhaust manifold) .

• 3 weeks later...

Just to complicate things more I'll also contribute to this thread.

I have installed the Cargraphic headers catalysts and rear silencers with amazing results

Excellent quality and clear performance gains

Edited by stv951

Sorry, there are no (measurable) performance gains from aftermarket exhausts for normally aspirated cars. Only turbos get much benefit from exhaust changes.

Yeah, thats just that science stuff.....

What about the 'seat of the pants' dyno results???

Ater dropping 2-5 large-I defy you, and your dyno/science stuff, to tell me 'there is no' measurable difference.

From everything I have read on this subject-Loren is right-there is no measurable gain for our cars, Porsche engineers already thought of it.

Agree! Please spend a little bit of time looking into Europipe. I have had mine in my C2S and everything has turned out great. The hardware itself is of great quality. Fitment is perfect. Sound is great.

At least EP is one capable option which should earn a place in your shopping list.

Agree! Please spend a little bit of time looking into Europipe. I have had mine in my C2S and everything has turned out great. The hardware itself is of great quality. Fitment is perfect. Sound is great.

At least EP is one capable option which should earn a place in your shopping list.

Could you please tell more.

Could you please tell more.

I have also installed Europipe on my 997 S and I can tell you that this exhaust is a masterpiece in terms of quality and sound. There is absolutely no drone, no resonance and the sound is a mix of the old 993 carrera and 996 GT3. If you see the welds you will understand why everyone calls this exhaust "better quality than the factory one". The 100cpsi cats create no CEL's at all. Stef, the guy I was talking to who is the owner of the company explained to me technicaly why there will be no CEL's at all. I am really satisfied with this product and i strongly recomend it to everyone who is seeking for "quality+sound" exhaust. I intent to buy a 997 TT and I am certainly going to install Europipe without any second thought at all. Bellow I quote the e-mail that Europipe had sent me when I expressed my worries on CEL's.

"Hello George , The 100 cell cats are not a problem , it is the total contact area / volume of the cat that is important. A stock 997S has two 400 cell cats on each side , a small one and a large one with the O2 sensor in between them. The small stock cat is size 98mm x 74.5mm long while our sport cat is size 130mm x 90mm long. So the volume of the small stock cat is 0.56 liter and the volume of our sport cat is 1.19 liter. Now 100 cell cats have only half the contact area of the stock 400 cell cats. On the other hand our sport cats are twice as big so the final contact area of the big 100 cell sport cats is the same as the small 400 cell stock cats. Therefore our big 100 cell cats do not cause a Check Engine Light problem. The 997S systems that we sold in 2004 are stil running fine.

I have included the pictures from our website. Please take look and ask me other questions.

Regards ,

Stef

"

Sorry, there are no (measurable) performance gains from aftermarket exhausts for normally aspirated cars. Only turbos get much benefit from exhaust changes.

Loren

I have often been impressed with the quality and quantity of information you offer to all of us in these forums. You are a real asset and a valuable contributor who has helped many of us with a wide range of maintenance and other issues. I must admit surprise at seeing this categorical statement coming from you. I too am skeptical of many of the performance claims we see for bolt-on modifications. On the other hand, if there is no impact form exhaust modifications, why did Porsche change the header for X-51? Why do so many racers go unmuffled to reduce back pressure? Doesn't it similarly seem logical that 100 or 200 cell Cats are likely to pose less back pressure than standard Cats (supposedly 600 cell with more restriction)? Personaly, I struggle to believe the 20-30 HP claimed of some systems, but would stop short of a categorical statement that "... there are no (measureable) performance gains from aftermarket exhauats for normally aspirated cars..."

• Admin

Loren

I have often been impressed with the quality and quantity of information you offer to all of us in these forums. You are a real asset and a valuable contributor who has helped many of us with a wide range of maintenance and other issues. I must admit surprise at seeing this categorical statement coming from you. I too am skeptical of many of the performance claims we see for bolt-on modifications. On the other hand, if there is no impact form exhaust modifications, why did Porsche change the header for X-51? Why do so many racers go unmuffled to reduce back pressure? Doesn't it similarly seem logical that 100 or 200 cell Cats are likely to pose less back pressure than standard Cats (supposedly 600 cell with more restriction)? Personaly, I struggle to believe the 20-30 HP claimed of some systems, but would stop short of a categorical statement that "... there are no (measureable) performance gains from aftermarket exhauats for normally aspirated cars..."

That is just it - you will not get 20-30 HP from a bolt on aftermarket exhaust.

Change the headers, the mufflers, the cats, air intake volume and tune the DME and you might get 20 HP.

So I guess I define "measurable" differently than some folks - but the average person would hardly notice a 20 HP increase.