Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The Merits of PCA Membership

Can anyone tell me why someone would join PCA? I've gone to the site several times to find out what it does for its members, and I can't tell if it's substantially more than a college fraternity (without all the regret).

Please share the merits of the membership.

• Admin

If the only thing you get out of PCA is the magazine (Panorama) - it is well worth it (IMHO).

Other benefits (depending on your needs) are:

Discounts for parts and service (at dealer discretion)

Driving schools

Autocross

Ralley

The yearly Porsche Parade event

Technical Sessions

Club Racing

Valuation committee to help you establish the value of your Porsche for insurance purposes.

all events (even tech sessions) are covered by PCA's insurance

and many more I am sure someone else can think of.

I have been a member for 29 years and I never been able to do all the events but I have enjoyed many of the one's I have attended.

If your interaction and interests in Porsche's only goes as far as driving around by yourself and you have no interest in hanging out with like minded car enthusiasts then I would say don't bother. This is not to say that non-PCA Porsche events don't exist, their are many none club opportunities as well.

If on the other hand like to attend organized events where people who loves Porsche's get together and share their enthusiasm for the marquee, find excuses to drive hundreds of miles just to have lunch and then home again with a new excuse to wash their car... or want access to awesome events like the annual Porsche Parade then a $42 membership is a pretty reasonable fee. This gives you entrance into local club events as well as reciprocal access to other regions and their events. And if you don't find yourself either enjoying it or find you don't participate much, don't renew.

For me it has been a hoot, we've been to Parade, Driver's Education sessions and on many fun runs for breakfast and lunches, probably lot's of events and destinations that would have never normally gone to. I have owned other 'popular' cars, but the Porsche club's organization has been the reason to get out and enjoy the ownership experience more then any other vehicle I have owned in that past 33 years!

Another thing that cones with the membership is contact with techs at PCA (although this forum does an excellent job), some additional resources on the PCA website, a subscription to Christophorus (quarterly) and Panorama (monthly) and even a cool membership sticker for the car just to name a few more benefits.

For me, in the end, it has been the great people that I have met and made friends with.

I guess another way to look at it is for me to ask, "what do you expect to get out of the PCA membership"? Since I have only been a member for a year, I certainly don't have all the answers, but I may be able to provide some.

Edited by Westcoaster

Some PCA regions are active and do a lot of social and car related activities, and others do hardly anything. When I joined I was in the LA region and did a few of their drives. Nice group of guys, but not very active and many seemed to drive their cars only on special occasions. I switched to the Santa Barbara region and done a number of activities, much more going on, a lot more members, and more participation. It opens up a lot of opportunities to do things you normally wouldn't think of or take the effort to plan or organize. Yesterday was a tour of the Nethercutt car museum in Sylmar, CA, followed by a drive on a great Porsche-friendly road I haven't driven before - I had a great time. I only show up for a few events each year and always enjoy the activities and feel welcome. I wish I had time to do more of their activities. I drive a Boxster, but the majority of the members have 911s of varying vintages. Interesting group of people. All the reasons already listed apply, as well as concourses, weekend activities, etc. with a group of people who have a common interest in Porsches. As great as renntech.org is, it's also nice to have personal contact with others who like Porschees.

"It's not just the cars, it's the people!" This is so very true.

Our events are great whether you like driving your car, cleaning your car, working on your car, or just showing up for happy hour in your car to talk about your car.

Best $42 bucks I spend every year.

If you really want to get the most out of your membership, as with any organization - GET INVOLVED. You will be welcomed with open arms in any region and will soon be wondering why you didn't join earlier.

My 2 cents.

Edited by geoffbaltz

Looks like regions differ in what they do and how they operate. Best thing to do is to join ($42 is not much) and see if it is worth it for you and your style. I have been very pleased with the local club, lots of DE and "car days". But agree with Geoff, it is the networking that is perhaps the biggest payoff. Has been for me anyways. I don't attend the social events, but you can still get to know a lot of people and, you never know when that connection will come in handy in a professional situation.

Izzy

ps, "The little black book of networking" is a good book too if you are not an extrovert, by Gitomer.

I joined mainly for the 10% discount on service and parts at the Porsche and independent dealerships. The rest is all bonus for me.

Hi Cannoli, do we really get discounts on service? I thought it was just parts at some places. Thanks.

Yep ... I've received discounts at two Porsche dealerships (Hoehn Porsche and Pioneer Centre Porsche) and one independent (All German Auto). The key is to ask. I also get 10% off when I get my MB serviced (Hoehn Mercedes-Benz); I have a MBCA membership too. And usually, the discount would also apply to parts (on a separate invoice - not combined with service).

Edited by Cannoli

• 8 months later...

Team --

It what you put into the membership that matters. There are trivial benefits that come with the membership, but the more you participate the better the local PCA becomes. The local organization will put on events it thinks its membership wants, but unless you get in an roll up the sleeves you will only get what they provide. ARPCA just had a car control clinic for members and their families. I was out there with 17 year olds learning to control their cars. It was a blast. If I had not participated it would have been a waste of $42.

--Tom

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but some of the insurance companies that insure classics or high end cars, especially when going for declared value.....will ask if you belong to PCA or any other organizations. I guess it give them some degree of insight into your mindset and perhaps a reflection upon how you'd take care of a car.....this is just speculation on my part....but I have been asked if I belong to PCA.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but some of the insurance companies that insure classics or high end cars, especially when going for declared value.....will ask if you belong to PCA or any other organizations.

My declared value insurance on my 914 requires car club membership.

By the way, I've been a PCA member for over 38 years and very much agree with those favorable comments made by several on this forum. Regions vary, but the overall experience has always made the dues worthwhile.

I also see a lot of 914 owners complain about lack of 914 content within PCA. Despite TTODs regularly at Parades. All it takes is contributions by 914ers (or whatever subset of PCA floats your yacht) to add events or written restoration/DIY/race prep etc articles in Pano.

• Moderators

After 9 years of Boxster ownership I finally joined last month. 9 years ago the Boxster was still new and when I checked out the local PCA back then there were maybe 5 Boxster owners. The members had older air cooled cars. I knew about 200 local Boxster owners so I passed on PCA.

I saw that they had tech events. Back then the tech chairman for the Loma Prieta Region was Ralph Maines who owns a few 356s. I asked Ralph if I could go to the tech events even if I was not a member, and bring a "few" of my Boxster buddies. Ralph said "bring them on." I got to know the members from the 2 local regions over the years, Golden Gate and Loma Prieta.

It is because of people like Ralph I finally joined. I joined his region rather than Golden Gate.

Bought some Cayman and Boxster technical publications from the local dealer a few days ago. I asked the parts guy who I have known for years for a PCA 10% discount. He knew I did not belong to PCA. His jaw dropped when I pulled it out - the card I mean.

I joined the night I bought the C4S... since then I've been able to learn about ( and participate in ) local events (concourse, AX) and am looking forward to my first DE once the car has new rear rubber.

If you love (your) Porsche - I'd do it. ;)

I joined because it was comparatively inexpensive, and you get that fancy sticker! This period's Christophorus was very nice (I've been a PCA member about as long as I've owned a Porsche, so I'm not sure if that's a PCA thing or a factory thing honestly), and the prospect of some discounts on parts and service someday are attractive as well.

Edited by htny

I went to the Parade concours in Charlotte and was reminded how great it is to just talk to owners of interesting cars. I talked to every 914 or -6 owner I could. That kind of old car camaraderie is hard to come by in my region - Hurricane. In many regions I suspect.

My first parade since the 80s and then only those in California. Sadly few 356s, no 904s, 906s. I didn't even see a 912, tho could missed them.

Still it was great wandering the streets with so many like-passioned people and a good number of passerbys reeled in by the beautiful sights.