Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X50,PCCB

Hello there...I just sold my loved 996C2C '02 and I am about to buy a 996TT '03.The car has the optional X50 power package and PCCB...Should I go for PCCB or find another car with stock brakesWhat are the disadvantages of them,if any?Also the X50 package includes only turbochargers and intercoolers or exhausts and reprogramming of the ECU as well?

• Admin
Hello there...I just sold my loved 996C2C '02 and I am about to buy a 996TT '03.The car has the optional X50 power package and PCCB...Should I go for PCCB or find another car with stock brakesWhat are the disadvantages of them,if any?Also the X50 package includes only turbochargers and intercoolers or exhausts and reprogramming of the ECU as well?
Just don't ruin a rotor. Pads are a reasonable $320 per set.

Rotors will run you $5400 EACH.

Unless you intend to track it, the complete set costs in the vicinity of $10K....the ongoing maintenance in the event you have to replace anything is astronomical. If this is going to be a daily driver or just something you use for spirited driving, I think you should stick with the reds....they're well made and time tested as very reliable....and if you need a new rotor it won't deplete your VISA card. Go for the stock reds.

The X50 gives you about another 45 hp as well as the larger turbos and intercooler. I'd say go for an X50, but skip the PCCB's.

I went for the X50 with the fancy yellow calipers, NO brake dust! They also work really well with the huge calipers (the std reds on the TT are awesome too).

Advice I had was that I could retrofit steel rotors in event of some kind of failure.

The X50 Is supposed to have a different exhaust and slightly beefed up 6 speed from the STD TT although details of the exact upgrds are sketchy.

The main difference from a STD TT is the use of K24 vs K16 turbos. If you were planning any mods, a mild ECU tweak on the std TT will give you about 490HP & the same tweak on the X50 525HP (FVD or UMW). Beyond that the K16 will be the first limitation for ultimate power. Along with the uber brakes the X50/PCCB is a natural platform for mods (although the std TT is great for this too but will need greater initial $ if you want go "wild").

Either way, both are great cars.

Edited by Danyol

I plan to make the car to produce about 600hp which I believe is the top power without opening the engine...K24 turbos are essential for this purpose...However Istill have my doubts about PCCB...In another topic Loren stated that if the PCCBs are version 1,it is better to stay with the steel ones,but if they are version 2 they are good...How can I find out what version is fitted?

According to 9ff and other tuners they tune the 911TT to 580-600hp by the use of the GT2 turbos and intercoolers...They just change the exhaust system and remap the ecu...I ve driven a 9ff 580hp last year and it was awesome...(I had the Boxster then)Is this stage of modification reliable?Does anyone here own sucha 911TT to tell us any problems in reliability?

I have 161,000+ miles on my stock 2003 X50 with PCCB's - I love the brakes, it's driven year round and tracked 6-10 or so days / year. I did upgrade to GT-3 Cup brake ducts in the front which produce a little more dust but nothing like the stock reds - the trick to PCCB's on the track (at least in my experience) is to have 2-3 laps of progressive warm up and a good 5-10 minute cool down ride after each session - they'll treat you well. I personally think they are more predictable in wet/snow than the stock reds and I feel they are more linear in the dry than stock reds - again my personnal experience - and yes I owned a 2002 Turbo with stock reds at one point. I also like the improved road feel from the PCCB's with ALOT less unsprung weight. Good luck!! T2

It seems that you are well aware of the 996TT...Could you please tell us your experience about reliability?In 160000miles,how many times did you change the clutch?what failures did you have?Would you buy the same car again?What about the life of the turbos,or the engine...Thank you for sharing...

No failures as of yet - I still have the original clutch - yes the first one. The rear struts just started leaking so the whole suspension will be replaced in the Spring. On other maintenance items - right front bearing, front diff (due to front bearing), left rear bearing, all three front radiators (due to leaks), water pump (it actually finally went this past spring), replaced the power steering reservoir out of warranty due to loud squeal noise, clutch slave culinder and accumulator....I think that is it - I change the oil every 5000 miles religiously, cvhange the front diff and tranny every 60000 miles and normal maintenance - they are VERY reliable and very easy to drive daily. You won't be sorry you drive it so much trust me. Good Luck. T2

No failures as of yet - I still have the original clutch - yes the first one. The rear struts just started leaking so the whole suspension will be replaced in the Spring. On other maintenance items - right front bearing, front diff (due to front bearing), left rear bearing, all three front radiators (due to leaks), water pump (it actually finally went this past spring), replaced the power steering reservoir out of warranty due to loud squeal noise, clutch slave culinder and accumulator....I think that is it - I change the oil every 5000 miles religiously, cvhange the front diff and tranny every 60000 miles and normal maintenance - they are VERY reliable and very easy to drive daily. You won't be sorry you drive it so much trust me. Good Luck. T2

Amazing...Still the original clutch...it seems that 996TT are much more reliable than 996 carreras...(From my experience,both were bulletproof but from the topics here...)

T2: It always warms the cockles of my heart to read posts from folks such as yourself who have mega-mileage on their cars and are still going strong. I think that Porsche owners tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to fear of parts failing. Your list of what you've done over the years isn't really that large...and they are parts that I've read are prone to failure.

I just had a rear strut fail with only 23K on the car....did you end up going to an aftermarket replacement, or did you stay with stock? I've just bought the Porsche replacement struts and am planning to replace both rears...but would be interested to hear if you stayed with original equipment.

Congratulations on the mileage milestones.....an obvious tribute to the way you take care of your car as well as a tribute to German engineering.

Chuck

Chuck,

I have not yet replaced them - I will most likely replace them in the spring before the track season opens again. I am 99% sure

i am going with the KW Variant 3's - the higher end Motons and Sachs although arguably the best out there are a something I probably won't get a full apprication for and will most likely get ruined with a couple New England winters so I cannot see spending the money - the PSS9's seem too prone to too many lowering and travel issues (from what I have read) and I see that some of the Germany testers / racers as are local folks seem VERY hapy with the KW V3's - they seem to be the best bang for the buck - I will onyl lower the car just slightly with the coilover setup and mainly use them to dial in more stiffness / driver feedback.

I'll keep you apprised of the install once it gets going. FYI - the stock setup was not much different in price for two rears compared to a new front and rear KW setup.....T2

• 1 month later...

Hi scandalis447

some days ago I bought my 996tt X50.

I would not go with PCCB because I read in some tests and a friend of me (work as engeneer at Porsche) also told me that the PCCB often had problems with the surface of the disc.

I case that the disc is not flat you have to change it and it's expensive.

The normal break is also enought.

There a many differents.

turbo k16 => k24

exhaust system is different (but it's a little bit louder inside)

air cooler are bigger

gear box is different (stronger)

other software because of k24 (preasure should be 0,8 - 0.9 bar instead of 0,6 - 0.7)

450 PS instead of 420 PS

620 Nm instead 560 Nm

I have more details listed in a data sheet but I have searching for it.

BR

mschraube

post-27156-1203294427.jpg

Edited by mschraube

Hi scandalis447

some days ago I bought my 996tt X50.

I would not go with PCCB because I read in some tests and a friend of me (work as engeneer at Porsche) also told me that the PCCB often had problems with the surface of the disc.

I case that the disc is not flat you have to change it and it's expensive.

The normal break is also enought.

There a many differents.

turbo k16 => k24

exhaust system is different (but it's a little bit louder inside)

air cooler are bigger

gear box is different (stronger)

other software because of k24 (preasure should be 0,8 - 0.9 bar instead of 0,6 - 0.7)

450 PS instead of 420 PS

620 Nm instead 560 Nm

I have more details listed in a data sheet but I have searching for it.

BR

mschraube

Thank you...Exactly as I thought...More differences between X50 and stock 996TT...