Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P0012 Fault Code

Hi All,

MY03 Boxster Tiptronic 7.8 DME

What I have done to the car is changing the tiptronic front pump, RMS and IMS.

Doing the IMS, I had to take the Cam tensioners out, after installing the IMS, all I did is put the tensioner back and torque them to the specs.

got a code P0012 Position of Camshaft in Relation to Crankshaft, Bank 1 - Above Limit

Porsche code 322 Position of camshaft in relation to crankshaft, bank 2 P1340 P1340 3/6/6

How series is this code and what can be done to fix it? please help. ( car been sitting for 80 days on blocks)

:renntech:

appreciate any input.

• Admin

Um... DTC's not P-codes.

DTC 12 = P0136, P0140, P0138

Oxygen Sensor After TWC, Bank 1 – Signal Implausible

Oxygen Sensor After TWC, Bank 1 – Above Limit

Oxygen Sensor After TWC, Bank 1 – Open Circuit

Best check the wiring/O2 sensor for damage.

DTC 322 = P1340

Timing Chain out of Position, Bank 1 – Below Lower Limit

Timing Chain out of Position, Bank 1 – Above Upper Limit

This fault can be stored only if the engine was disassembled and the allocation of the outlet camshaft with respect to the inlet camshaft was incorrectly set.

Loren thanks for the quick reply

I should clarify what I posted above as far as the porsche code 322

here is what the durametric software looked up

"

Boxster Selected

9X6 Tiptronic Selected

About to get fault codes

moduleType = TiptronicG40

Boxster Selected

About to get fault codes

moduleType = MotronicDME78

DTC Count = 1

Fault Number:P0012

Description:Porsche fault code 322 - Camshaft position with respect

Repair Infomation:to crankshaft bank 1

About to get fault codes

moduleType = MotronicDME78

"

I looked up the 322 description on the OBD II Codes when I clicked on the DME 7.8 - Fault Texts. so I think I am mistaken by thinking that all the codes will apply to my problem.

I did not mention that the IM SHAFT did move out of position when I took the old IMS out " can't remember if I removed the tensioners before or after the IM shaft moved out of place.

I did remove right side OX sensor only and I did unplug it when I was doing the repair " ox sensor closest to the cat"

So Loren do you think the chain is out of place or something.

Do you think if I loosen the tensions and retorque them that might do the trick.

thanks in advance

Loren do you know if there is any special procedure I have to do to correct this.

The workshop manual (workshopmanuals.co.uk) I have does not shed any light on how to correct this problem, engine installed.

Loren do you know if there is any special procedure I have to do to correct this.

The workshop manual (workshopmanuals.co.uk) I have does not shed any light on how to correct this problem, engine installed.

sounds like you will need the plates to fit in the rear of cams and the lock pin for tdc on the crank. make sure you get the correct info and tools or could have an expensive repair bill if cam timing is incorrect.

Thats because the UK site has cheap incomplete outdated manuals. If you want the complete workshop manuals, OBDII manauls with complete OBDII codes and repairs plus TSBs and more PM or email me. I have attached a sample from the OBDII manauls that the UK site doesn't bother to get. I will even help you out completely and give you the proper pages for your problem

p0012.pdf

Edited by Porschelibrarian

Porschelibrarian you are God sent,

I did PM you but my sent items is not showing that I have send a PM. Please let me know if you got it. My e-mail address is

kawizx10r@yahoo.com

Thank you very much, I can't thank you enough.

• 2 weeks later...

seems that when I was replaced the IMS the chain jumped over and created the P0012 fault for bank 1

durametric software indicated camshaft postion 1 deviatioin was 25 deg for bank 1 and 1.04 deg for bank 2.

I disassembled and removed Bank 1 camshafts, and now trying to put it back together, the

problem I ran into is since there is no distributor to confirm that cyl. 1 is at TDC, there are

small circular cutout at the end of each camshaft (inlet and exhaust of each bank), with the

help of the TDC mark on crankshaft pulley aligned with the mark on the engine. you could be

at either cyl. 1 TDC or Cyl. 4 TDC.

as you can see my question is in the pix.

post-20238-1212651000_thumb.jpg

post-20238-1212650809_thumb.jpg

any help would greatly appreciated

Turn the crankshaft (by hand) until you position is at TDC for cylinder 1.

Align pulley with mark on crankcase.

post-1-1212674311.png

Thanks Loren, I got that part

when aligning the mark on the pulley with the mark on the engine (pix you attached)

you are not necessarily at cyl. 1 TDC according to the shopmanual (from sunset import)

because " Position of the camshafts in overlapping TDC of cylinders 1 or 4 "

post-20238-1212688496_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Take the number 1 spark plug out and carefully put a plastic straw (yes, clean plastic straw) in it's place. Slowly turn the crank until the straw is pushed out as far as it will go. Cylinder 1 should not be at (near ) TDC.

I think I'm not clear of what I'm asking.

since we have 4 camshafts, 1 crankshaft, and no distributor(that would have solved my problem) , all have to be in sink to get the right timing.

When pulley mark is aligned with crankcase mark TDC for cyl. #1. (which I have no problem locating), I know what position

Bank 1 camshafts suppose to be at indicated by the small circular cutout at the end of camshafts.

post-20238-1212765830_thumb.jpg

For Bank 2 camshafts (this is my main question) to be in sink with Bank 1 camshafts and crankshaft (and since we are at TDC cyl.#1), camshafts have to at a certain position and that should also

be indicated by the small circular cutouts. (either lie at top just like Bank 1 camshafts when installed or lie at bottom to be in sink)

note : for each 360 deg. crankshaft turn the small circular cutouts for either bank could be laying at top or bottom.

I hope this would clarify any confusion I might have created.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the road again, with car running smooth P0012 is history.

just fyi for anyone that might be tackling this issue (problem started when bank 1 chain jumped over when changing IMS).

When TDC mark on pulley and crankcase are aligned, both cyl.#1 and cyl#4 is at TDC. but both would at different cycle of the 4 cycles each cyl. goes thru (intake, compression, ignition, and exhaust)

so at TDC cyl.#1 could be in the ignition cycle, while cyl.#4 would be at intake cycle, all depends on where the small circular cutouts are for each bank camshafts to make the correct timing.

remember timing is everything!!!

so the final word was and since I'm reinstalling only bank 1 camshaft.

at TDC mark. bank 2 camshafts small circular cutouts has to lie down ( meaning toward engine and this is critical because if it is not then you timing is screwed up big time)

and bank 1 has to lie outside as indicated on the above picutres in previous post.

thanks for any input you have giving me.

post-20238-1214428974_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Ok, let me get this right... In order to achieve Top Dead Center (TDC) to properly perform the IMS replacement, I must...: 1. I start by rotating the crank till I get the bank 1 camshaft cutouts lined up?

ex;

post-12946-1241664158_thumb.jpg

2. Bank 2 camshafts have to be aligned side ways? Bank 2 is what I dont seem to understand in the info provided on the forum... Should they be aligned like this VVV.

ex;

post-12946-1241664275_thumb.jpg ???

3. Secure TDC pin into crank through hole marked OT on the crank pulley, also through the hole directly behind the OT marking on the crank... at about 11o'clock position.

So ok, Help me with understanding bank 2 alignment??? thanks guys

post-12946-1241664418_thumb.jpg

Edited by CJ_Boxster

CJ

I have MY03 Tiptronic

when one bank ( as in your example bank 1 alignment pix) notice that the semi circular cutout should be on top, bank 2 alignment should look like bank 1 except the semi circular cutout in on the bottom ( #2 pix of bank 2 is not the correct position of camshafts when bank 1 ).

to keep it simple semi circular cutout is the key they have to be on top to make that bank TDC ( which is either cyl.#1 for bank 1 or cyl#4 for bank 2 )

just curious where did you get #2 pix (from what procedure) it is an odd place for camshafts to be in.

remember that boxster engines have different ways to time camshafts and uses different tools as well depending on the MY?? (I checked the old and the new manuals I have as of MY03)

simple check to do is take the green plugs that cover the ends of camshafts for both banks and look at the semi circular cutout once your at TDC mark and that will give you a clue

OK i got it now, Bank 1 camshaft cutouts will face away from the crank and bank 2 wil face the crank when engine is in TDC...

question, after finding the TDC issue resolved... Do I need to remove the timing chain tensioners before pulling the IMS seal, one goes into the bottom of bank 2 head near the transmission and the other on the rear lower portion of the rear of the engine????

cj,

as I understand it 996 has same engine as 986 (if I'm not mistaken)

so the following procedure from 986 shop manual

post-20238-1241851111_thumb.jpg

1. Remove the clutch pressure plate, including the drive plate ’ 30 50 19 Removing and installing clutch .

2. Remove drive plate for the torque converter or the double−mass flywheel (DMF). Fasten special

tool toothed segment 9538/1 for countering on the right crankcase half (cylinder bank 1 − 3) with

an M10 x 50 screw. Undo and remove drive plate or DMF.

3. Drain engine oil. After a dripping time of 20 minutes, insert oil drain plug with new sealing ring and

tighten.

Tightening torque 50 Nm (37 ftlb.)

4. Turn the engine on the crankshaft belt pulley clockwise until the bore 1 TDC (top dead centre) in the belt

pulley is aligned with the fixing bore on the crankcase. Position or fix with special tool fixing pins 9595/1

−see figure− . Use short fixing pin.

5. Remove camshaft closure caps from cylinder bank 1 − 3. The closure cap of cylinder bank 1 − 3 is located

on the flywheel side. Drive small screwdriver into centre of the closure cap and lever off the cap.

6. Check basic camshaft adjustment −arrow− . If the position is not correct, remove the dowel pin and

turn the crankshaft a further 360° in clockwise direction. Fix belt pulley again with fixing pin.

View from the flywheel side

7. Turn primary chain tensioner out of the crankcase, cylinder bank 4 − 6.

8. Turn secondary chain tensioner out of the cylinder head 1− 3.

9. Undo intermediate shaft flange. Unscrew the three fastening screws M6 x 20 on the

intermediate−shaft flange. Undo the M8 x 1 lock nut with the socket wrench 9110 −see figure−

. At the same time, counter with a suitable screwdriver in the slotted threaded pin.

10. Position and align special tool retaining device 9642 −see figures− .

Tensioning the retaining device:

11. Carefully press the intermediate shaft off, for instance with two angle screwdrivers −see figure− .

Proceed carefully so as not to damage the sealing surfaces.