Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AOS Question

Hey guys,

My parts for a new AOS arrived yesterday, and I opened up my engine bay and am noticing some serious differences between Mike.Focke's explanation and pics of the AOS.

He explains that you need to "Remove the J-tube connecting the oil separator to the throttle body..." Well... I can't find a J-tube that looks anything like what's on my car. Upon closer inspection of this picture... this doesn't exactly look like the same setup mine has.

Here's the image from Mike Focke's site:

_DSC4808-large.jpg

And here's mine:

100_0660.jpg

Notice, there is no J-Tube, but there's a Y-tube in front of the Throttle body. ??

Here's a different angle shot.

100_0661.jpg

I'm confused... now I'm not sure if I have the right parts for this job.

thoughts?

Hey guys,

My parts for a new AOS arrived yesterday, and I opened up my engine bay and am noticing some serious differences between Mike.Focke's explanation and pics of the AOS.

He explains that you need to "Remove the J-tube connecting the oil separator to the throttle body..." Well... I can't find a J-tube that looks anything like what's on my car. Upon closer inspection of this picture... this doesn't exactly look like the same setup mine has.

Here's the image from Mike Focke's site:

_DSC4808-large.jpg

And here's mine:

100_0660.jpg

Notice, there is no J-Tube, but there's a Y-tube in front of the Throttle body. ??

Here's a different angle shot.

100_0661.jpg

I'm confused... now I'm not sure if I have the right parts for this job.

thoughts?

Thats because you have a newer e-gas boxster so the tube is different, If you ordered parts that look similar to what is in your car now then your fine. Oh yeah, just unsnap the y-tube and proceed with removing the bellows tube, 2 10mm bolts and snap hose from the bottom of the AOS underneath the car.

Hmmm I must not have done my research this time... what's the difference between the "e-gas" boxster, and the other one? Also, I ordered the "J-Tube" so I'm not sure what the part # (or #s) that I need instead. I was replacing the AOS as a precautionary since I'm creeping on 75k. Didn't want to take any chances... unless there's a difference between the e-gas one and the other one where I don't really have to replace the AOS because it's not an issue?

I guess what I'm asking is... since there's no J-Tube on my car, do I need to replace that Y-tube assembly instead? If so, is there a part # (or #s) associated to what I need. All I ordered from before was the J-Tube, the AOS, and the Kluber Glep.

Edited by usaf-lt-g

Hmmm I must not have done my research this time... what's the difference between the "e-gas" boxster, and the other one? Also, I ordered the "J-Tube" so I'm not sure what the part # (or #s) that I need instead. I was replacing the AOS as a precautionary since I'm creeping on 75k. Didn't want to take any chances... unless there's a difference between the e-gas one and the other one where I don't really have to replace the AOS because it's not an issue?

The AOS is the same whether e-gas or not... the new AOS may look different to the one on your car but it will fit ok. Clean any oil out of the Y-tube you've got and return the new J-tube. Did your AOS come with a new bellows pipe for the bottom connection? If not you will need a new one.

The AOS is the same whether e-gas or not... the new AOS may look different to the one on your car but it will fit ok. Clean any oil out of the Y-tube you've got and return the new J-tube. Did your AOS come with a new bellows pipe for the bottom connection? If not you will need a new one.

Yea I ordered it from Sunsent, the bellows is already attached to it. So you're saying I can just re-use the Y-tube I have and there's no need to order another one?

Hairy is right, you will have to return the Jtube if its Jshaped, if its a y shaped tube them your fine, you could use it.

E-gas Boxsters have electronically controlled throttle plates like a servo on a remote control car, as opposed earlier boxsters that have the old fashioned cable and spring tensioned throttle plates.

Your AOS should come with a bellows hose/ rubber accordian hose already attached to the AOS.

Yea I ordered it from Sunsent, the bellows is already attached to it. So you're saying I can just re-use the Y-tube I have and there's no need to order another one?

Yeah you could reuse the old one assuming it isnt cracks or split and the seal at the connection points are air tight.

I think the newest AOS part number ends in 04, I just replaced mine last weekend and the AOS ended with .04 and the J-tube for my non-Egas engine ended in .05

I'm new to p-cars, so bear with me on this question. What does the AOS (which I believe means Air Oil Seperator) do exactly? It is just a crankcase vent that puts warm air back into the intake for emissions purposes or does it serve some complex purpose?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but the AOS is new to me, and I like to understand how things work, and why they're on the car.

Not a dumb question at all, your right it is a bit of a glorified crankcase vent however it does also keep the bubbled oil from entering the intake.

What would happen to performance/drivability if you just disconnected it and plugged off the intake?

Not a dumb question at all, your right it is a bit of a glorified crankcase vent however it does also keep the bubbled oil from entering the intake.

What would happen to performance/drivability if you just disconnected it and plugged off the intake?

Then your oil quality would degrade quickly, the gases the oil creates while the engine is operating need to be sucked out and burned through the intake and exhaust so they do not polute the air and help prolong the life of your oil.

If the Y tube isn't somehow holed.

Normally it isn't the part that fails.

When you return the J-tube, find out from the parts department what the part number for the Y-tube is and post it here please so I can pick that up on the AOS web page. I've already incorporated the e-gas versus non e-gas distinction. My prior was based on my '99, the non e-gas version and is 92% right I think for the '01.

Reminds me I have an '01 now and at 52k miles I'm going to have to get around to changing it out just as a precaution.

So, I finished the AOS install... all is well and good. Had a few fumes from the exhaust at first, but I also changed the oil and filter today as well. However... I have a slight problem.... Somehow, in the midst of putting the wheel back on, tightening it all down, and going for a drive, I came back and my wheel lock key is no where to be found... I have no idea where it went. Spent the last 2 hours searching for it.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement key besides the dealership and what part # i should order?

• Admin
So, I finished the AOS install... all is well and good. Had a few fumes from the exhaust at first, but I also changed the oil and filter today as well. However... I have a slight problem.... Somehow, in the midst of putting the wheel back on, tightening it all down, and going for a drive, I came back and my wheel lock key is no where to be found... I have no idea where it went. Spent the last 2 hours searching for it.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement key besides the dealership and what part # i should order?

Look in your maintenance book for the wheel lock key code.

If you do not have that then ask your dealer to look it up. If that fails, your dealer should have a set of wheel lock keys - and they try them untill they find the right one and then order that one.

it's supposed to keep the oil from entering the intake but as it's now on its 4TH REDESIGN we can safely say it's been a bit of an Achilles Heel for Porsche

Is it still on the socket wrench?

Or did you place it on the folded down top or the trunk and it bounced off? Or is it buried in the folds? Look down the street a ways.

And consider not replacing it and just buying 4 normal studs. Unless you have exceptional wheels or live in an area prone to thefts, the wheel locks can be a real pain to keep track of. I've even had dealers lose em.

There are 30 possibilities. Ask your dealer to borrow his set (I found the parts dept could help on this more than the service people who want to charge you) and keep trying till one fits. Mark that number. Then either order the socket or buy the 4 studs.

Me, I only have normal 17" turbo twists and I'd rather run around with wheels that are easy to get off and risk theft than have a problem somewhere awkward and risk not having the locking sockets.