Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Maybe driving my C4 all winter this year - does anyone regularly drive

I may be forced to use my 1999 Carrera 4 as my primary ride for the winter. It makes me cringe to think about the nasty Vermont winters and road salt, etc. I'm currently looking at snow tires as yesterday I took it out in about 1 inch of snow and stopping was very scary.

So, does anyone drive their C4 all winter long and can you give me any advice on snow tires, operation, etc

Thank you!

Eric

I have used my 2000 C4 every winter since I bought it in 2000. With the summer tires it is scary to drive in ice and snow, but with good winter tires it is great. With the PSM and ABS it is better than my 4wd For Expedition until the snow gets too deep, then it will high center on the snow. I use Dunlop Wintersports, but Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Blizzack all make good winter tires. Get a good pair and go for it, you will love driving it in the winter/snow.

Another winter driver here in MN. I do shudder a little when I see the salt trucks out. This year I changed mufflers in my home garage, so had a chance to look carefully at the bottom of the car. All the main components looked fine. However, the nuts on things like the muffler clamps, etc., were pretty rusty.

I went with Bilizzaks and they are just great. All I need to do is keep track of the amount of snow expected for ground clearance.

Just another interesting point--I have had a lot of cars, but never had such a refined heating system. Really good at maintaining a consistent temp with no drafts. Also the fastest seat heaters I have had yet!

Hi:

I drove my 996 Cab 4 (w/ hardtop and roof transport system for my snowboard) all winter in Canada last year (it is my only car) and will do the same this year. I use bridgestone blizzak tires mounted on 17 inch rims. I purchased the rims and tires complete with Porsche crest from tirerack.com. Their prices are competitive and the wheels come to your door mounted and balanced (they look good too). I have 18 inch summer wheels and would definitely recommend going to the smaller rim size (17 inch) for the winter as the ride is not as harsh on bumpy winter roads. The car is a lot of fun in the snow and handles great. Feeling the PSM and ABS come on in a controlled slide is a blast and you will be amazed what you can power your way through if you have to (the awd definitely works). I drove it in the worst storms last year without any problems. The only downsides are low clearance and steering vibration caused by snow accumulating within the rims and unbalancing the wheels (this can happen in any car but the large holes in the cup style wheels let a lot of snow in and when it stays stuck you really feel it on the highway). The car rides low to the ground so there is a lot of noise and vibration from chunks of ice hitting the underbody. I still cringe everytime I feel and hear something hitting the underside of the car but I found no damage after last winter. I got mine washed once a week and have no rust on it and they use a lot of salt where I live (a touchless wash is better than leaving the road salt on it). Porsche suggests turning off the psm in really deep snow but I don't bother. I would suggest going to a large empty parking lot after a good snowfall to do some doughnuts and get familiar with how the car responds in the snow. Have fun, winter just might become your favorite season:)

I am in my 8th winter dring my 996 C2. Like many others, I also run 17" Blizzaks. I have run Pirelli but have found them to be very noisy after 3-4k miles. I think the Blizzaks are a bit better as far as traction goes as well. Snow over 6" deep along with frozen chunks of ice can easily damage the plastic undertrays. Mine ave a zip-tie or two holding them in place. I would also recommend the clip on mud flaps. The go on/off easily and will avoid sand blasting the rear bumper behind the wheels. They use a salt/sand mixture here and it is very hard on the paint if use don't put them on.

I am in my 8th winter dring my 996 C2. Like many others, I also run 17" Blizzaks. I have run Pirelli but have found them to be very noisy after 3-4k miles. I think the Blizzaks are a bit better as far as traction goes as well. Snow over 6" deep along with frozen chunks of ice can easily damage the plastic undertrays. Mine ave a zip-tie or two holding them in place. I would also recommend the clip on mud flaps. The go on/off easily and will avoid sand blasting the rear bumper behind the wheels. They use a salt/sand mixture here and it is very hard on the paint if use don't put them on.

Do you have a part number/supplier on the clip on mud flaps, I haven't come across these before?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I drive my '03 C4S daily in Boston winters. 18" blizzaks all around with slightly narrower than summer wheels in the rear. This necessitates and offset hub, but it narrow is what you want in a snow tire. Biggest issue is clearance, so watch that. I do have a heated garage at work and home which I think helps reduce the moisture that clings to the car.

I will have to look and see if I can find the info. I bought them several years ago. They are held on with spring clips. I have been able to find replacement clips over the years for ones that have been lost or got knocked off.

They look like the ones I got from Mid America Motorworks, but they don't seem to list Porsche stuff any more. I lost some clips from mine, so I'd be interested to know where you got replacement clips from.

I'd say DON'T DO IT. Also living in VT our roads are terrible. This year seems to be especially bad. How much packed snow and ice are still there today? Vermont roads + snow and ice + low ground clearance = damage to your ride. If you must I would agree you need some dedicated snow tires. I'd be willing to sell you a set of 17" boxster rims from my 02 for a pretty cheap price if interested.

If you want to take a Porsche in the snow, you should get a Cayenne.

I use my 2002 C4S daily here in Kelowna, BC, Canada. We've had a foot of snow and its been cold. It performs great in the snow -- with Dunlop perfomance snowtires (3D and M3) as recommended by TireRack.

Only issue is my batter died -- but it was -20...

Its a superb winter car, though our Audi A4 is a little more confidence inspiring. However, it is largely just the wide rear tires that don't grip that well compared with the Audi. In the Carrera, if you are gentle with the throttle its a blast.

Lived in oslo and drove mine every winter (just changed to studded tires) and all was good. sold before moving back to states and got a c2 here (didnt need 4x4 in california)

I may be forced to use my 1999 Carrera 4 as my primary ride for the winter. It makes me cringe to think about the nasty Vermont winters and road salt, etc. I'm currently looking at snow tires as yesterday I took it out in about 1 inch of snow and stopping was very scary.

So, does anyone drive their C4 all winter long and can you give me any advice on snow tires, operation, etc

Thank you!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I've driven my 04 Carerra 2 for 4 winters + this one and love it.

Tires: I have 205/50R-17 - Front & 255/40R-17 - Rear x Dunlops M3's. I'm on my second set of Dunlops on the fronts but the rears are on the 5th year. I think they look too small for the car but, it's winter.

The PSM will kick-in when you need it so drive like hell. Sometimes I turn off the PSM so I can fish tail or peel out in the parking lot.

I have a quick question: I'm picking up an 08 C2 and the dealer informed me that the bolt pattern may match but the offset is off. I think he meant that the car is wider so thinner tires may appear 'funny looking'. Any ideas? Also has anyone tried the 5mm spacers?

Thanks,

Ken

I will have to look and see if I can find the info. I bought them several years ago. They are held on with spring clips. I have been able to find replacement clips over the years for ones that have been lost or got knocked off.

They look like the ones I got from Mid America Motorworks, but they don't seem to list Porsche stuff any more. I lost some clips from mine, so I'd be interested to know where you got replacement clips from.

Richard,

I got the spring clips from Sears Hardware. I just found my last 10 pak in the garage so now I have a total of 12 clips. The old clips have the following marking on the leg:

170-205

T

The clips from Sears only seem to have the numerical portion stamped on the clips. I measured both with a dial caliper and following are the dimensions:

Width=0.500"

leg = 0.440"

thickness=0.140"

The dimensions are exactly the same as part #1175 shown on e qual fast website. Hope this helps.

Put me in the winter driving club, too. I run Pirelli 240 Snowsports in the OE sizes on a set of 18" wheels. No PSM. I find the car shockingly good in the snow, apart from ground clearance. Playing around in parking lots to get a feel for it, I was amazed at how easy it is to collect the car back up when the rear end gets loose. The passive rear steer property of this axle design seems to do its thing on slippery surfaces, too. I drive it with a lot of confidence in Toronto winters.

Another positive surprise was heat. Not that I expected it to be bad, but it really works very well. I'm getting warm air in just a few minutes.

The main issues for me have been minor: brake cooling ducts are regular replacement items. And I probably need to pay more attention to alignment because of the potholes. The only other thing I try to do is take it out for a good run, at least an hour, every couple of weeks. The short trips I take daily combined with the tendency of the motor to accumulate condensation in the oil, make me nervous.

I did uprate the battery significantly, 760 CCA if I recall correctly. Not necessary, I'm sure, but I'd had problems with the original one.