Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Service / Workshop Manual

I know you will interpret this comment as rude, but that is not the intent...its to make sense of your logic.

1. You own a Porsche

2. You hope to do some DIY work to save $$ on an expensive car to own if you do not do DIY

3. You think a $50 investment in a book is expensive?

Owning a Porsche a sign fix is not the end of the relationship. My book is opened every 3 months for specific needs, not just fun reading.

Honestly I tell every newbie on this site who just buys a used boxster to do the right thing and spend $250 on Durametric and find a used Bentley on on ebay or Amazon for $50-60, that is how I got mine. That $300 investment along with the great experience and opinions of this board (and others) will save thousands in the first few years.

If you were more specific to a particular repair group or need I'm sure many here would share a page or two from the P-tech info that is floating on the net, but come on you own a Porsche, you cannot complain about the price of a incredible reference book!

It's not unlike the boating world. When you own a money sucking boat nobody at the marina wants to hear your concerns!

BUY NOW

I would much rather that he buy it through the RennTech.org Amazon store - so RennTech.org can get a small percentage. ;)

Porsche Boxster Service Manual: 1997-2004 Boxster, Boxster S (Robert Bentley) (Paperback)

Sorry I totally forgot about that. Will recommend in the future!

Why not....Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost - Sunset Imports

They had the full 15 volume set for $200 a while back. Great deal.

The copies that you will find on line aren't complete. The wiring diagrams are not accurate. And there are a lot of pages that are double wide that get lost when scanning. I would either buy the bentley or the factory manuals. You can always sell them later.

I agree completely with seafeye. I own both manuals. Bentley by my desk for quick ref on easy things, factory manuals in my shop.

Have scanned some volumes but not had to use the factory manual yet. But it is like a fire extinguisher - best when not used too often.

Just to add to the good advice already written - I bought my Boxster in July knowing the engine needed to be replaced. My first purchase was the WSM (the Sunset deal is impossible to beat), followed by the Durametric, and the PO sent me his unused Bentley manual. It takes a certain level of patience to use the WSM, but invaluable for a DIYer, IMO. The Durametric paid for itself just for the time and inconvenience of having to reset the CIL about a half dozen times in my own garage instead of saddling up and begging the dealer for a gratis reset. The Bentley is handy and easier to navigate than the WSM, but not nearly as complete.

And I often use the boating analogy as well: I now have four Porsches, and just like a boat, if I had to pay someone to do service and repair work, I doubt I could afford even one of them - at least maintained to the level I prefer.

Loren used to say that the manuals on CD were incomplete and not updated until I sent him mine.

I have the Porsche workshop manuals complete for the 986 in PDF and the scans I have collected are all from Porsche, so they are professionally produced, clear, clean, complete readable and exactly what the dealers use. I have all the updates, each and every year wiring diagram as well as the OBDII and Diagnostic manuals.

I know there are many other PDF versions around that are incomplete. They only have the WSM thru 2000 and only a couple years of wiring diagrams. And they also lack the OBDII and Diagnostic Manuals.

And I hope you're not using the PDF PET. Especially when one can get the actual dealer edition PET with every year and model covered with complete part update features.

Edited by Porschelibrarian

Loren used to say that the manuals on CD were incomplete and not updated until I sent him mine.

I have the Porsche workshop manuals complete for the 986 in PDF and the scans I have collected are all from Porsche, so they are professionally produced, clear, clean, complete readable and exactly what the dealers use. I have all the updates, each and every year wiring diagram as well as the OBDII and Diagnostic manuals.

I know there are many other PDF versions around that are incomplete. They only have the WSM thru 2000 and only a couple years of wiring diagrams. And they also lack the OBDII and Diagnostic Manuals.

And I hope you're not using the PDF PET. Especially when one can get the actual dealer edition PET with every year and model covered with complete part update features.

Thank you for the advice, however, it would dumb to go spend and not to ask if I could save. Agreed they aren't that much but still, if its 300 bucks i don't have to spend then why not?

I agree completely with seafeye. I own both manuals. Bentley by my desk for quick ref on easy things, factory manuals in my shop.

Have scanned some volumes but not had to use the factory manual yet. But it is like a fire extinguisher - best when not used too often.

Judging from some pm comments I realized my use of the word "scanned" could be taken to mean electronically scanned.

I meant I had breezed thru a few volumes to get a feel for the readability and diagram clarity.

Regret any confusion. :oops:

PS You can travel with the Bentley. 15 Vol factory version requires a motor home.