Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New key question

When my '02 non S was purchased it came with only one key. The key came with a non-functioning head; no battery, no battery cover. I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now with the prospect of loosing it hanging like an axe over my head. This key head was the lighted key head with no remote functions at all. Now it is just a key head with a hole in it where the batteries went.

I have found a local locksmith that has a laser cutter and says that he can cut a key for me. Question; if this key has not had a source of power and has no working transponder is there any reason that I can't simply order a new head and blank, have it cut and not worry about any programming? Every reference that I see about keys for a Boxster indicate that this is necessary. Even the locksmith said that it would need programming afterward. What's the deal?

When my '02 non S was purchased it came with only one key. The key came with a non-functioning head; no battery, no battery cover. I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now with the prospect of loosing it hanging like an axe over my head. This key head was the lighted key head with no remote functions at all. Now it is just a key head with a hole in it where the batteries went.

I have found a local locksmith that has a laser cutter and says that he can cut a key for me. Question; if this key has not had a source of power and has no working transponder is there any reason that I can't simply order a new head and blank, have it cut and not worry about any programming? Every reference that I see about keys for a Boxster indicate that this is necessary. Even the locksmith said that it would need programming afterward. What's the deal?

jc:

Are you saying that your one key has no transponder and still starts the car? If so, that's a first.

If your one key has a transponder, your (or another) locksmith can "clone" a new key after laser cutting the blade. You will not have remote functions but you will have a key that manually opens the door and that also starts the car. That only costs around $60 total, including the blank blade and head, made by Ilco.

Programming at the dealer can run all the way up to close to $500, but you'll have a fully functioning key and remote.

Guess which route I chose for my spare (piece of mind) key? ;)

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators

Each key has a unique ID in a RFID tag ( the little grey pill) that is associated with the key. The RFID tag is normally passive but can be energized by conductance which allows it to transmit its unique ID. This is very similar to hotel door card keys or EZ-Pass pads for paying tolls, etc.

When you stick the key in the ignition and try to start the car, there is a little transmitter/receiver in the key mechanism that pings the RFID tag, the tag transmits its ID, and if that ID is registered in the Car ECU key database, the car will start. If not, then no start.

Adding the key's ID is relatively simple, but it requires 2 things, the Keys ID number, and a Porsche System Tester to access the car's key database and add the ID number. If you have one key that is already associated with the car, adding additional keys does not require knowing the ID number of the new key, but if you break or lose all of the keys the car already knows about, and don't have one that will start the car, then you have to have the Key ID of the new key to be manually coded in.

Depending on your relationship with your dealer, many will recode new or additional keys for gratis or charge you about a half hour labor. Others may try to soak you for more. I would not pay more than $50 to get a key coded (assuming you have the key and it is physically cut already).

If you are starting from scratch, expect to pay about $175 for the key blank, another $50 - 100 to get it cut, and another $50 - $100 to get the car coded.

• 2 weeks later...
Each key has a unique ID in a RFID tag ( the little grey pill) that is associated with the key. The RFID tag is normally passive but can be energized by conductance which allows it to transmit its unique ID. This is very similar to hotel door card keys or EZ-Pass pads for paying tolls, etc.

When you stick the key in the ignition and try to start the car, there is a little transmitter/receiver in the key mechanism that pings the RFID tag, the tag transmits its ID, and if that ID is registered in the Car ECU key database, the car will start. If not, then no start.

Adding the key's ID is relatively simple, but it requires 2 things, the Keys ID number, and a Porsche System Tester to access the car's key database and add the ID number. If you have one key that is already associated with the car, adding additional keys does not require knowing the ID number of the new key, but if you break or lose all of the keys the car already knows about, and don't have one that will start the car, then you have to have the Key ID of the new key to be manually coded in.

Depending on your relationship with your dealer, many will recode new or additional keys for gratis or charge you about a half hour labor. Others may try to soak you for more. I would not pay more than $50 to get a key coded (assuming you have the key and it is physically cut already).

If you are starting from scratch, expect to pay about $175 for the key blank, another $50 - 100 to get it cut, and another $50 - $100 to get the car coded.

Hmmm If I get a remote control head, do I need to know the ID for that remote control head to get it programmed? By that I mean can I just bring in the remote control head to my dealer and they can program it to my car no problem.

I do have one working remote control key...the second will act as the spare.

• Admin

Hmmm If I get a remote control head, do I need to know the ID for that remote control head to get it programmed? By that I mean can I just bring in the remote control head to my dealer and they can program it to my car no problem.

Yes, you need the unique ID to program a new key.

Yes, you need the unique ID to program a new key.

Yes thats what I thought too, so I do need the ID of the new remote key to program the remote to the car? darn, i found a good deal of someone selling their fully working remote control head online but they don;'t have the ID to that remote

• 7 years later...

There is a cheaper (<$40) solution: Take the transponder pill out of the key, and tape it to the inside of the ignition trim piece with electrical tape, and just make copies of the key blade for $30 bucks via keysinthepost.com or similar (you simply upload them a pic of your current key blade and they mail you a new blade). Buy a $10 key blade shell case on eBay. That's all!  You never have to pay the dealership again to 'program' the car or key or RFID pill - just make metal key copies.

Full description of the mod/hack at:
http://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/959258-ultra-cheap-second-backup-valet-key-hack-mod.html#post13692492

• Admin
1 hour ago, emdls said:

There is a cheaper (<$40) solution: Take the transponder pill out of the key, and tape it to the inside of the ignition trim piece with electrical tape, and just make copies of the key blade for $30 bucks via keysinthepost.com or similar (you simply upload them a pic of your current key blade and they mail you a new blade). Buy a $10 key blade shell case on eBay. That's all!  You never have to pay the dealership again to 'program' the car or key or RFID pill - just make metal key copies.

Full description of the mod/hack at:
http://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/959258-ultra-cheap-second-backup-valet-key-hack-mod.html#post13692492

Not really sure making your Porsche as easy to steal as a Honda is right solution for most people.

• Upvote 1