Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera 4 opinions request

I look but I don't have much luck with the search engine.

I live in the bay area and I'm thinking of moving up from a 1999 C2 to a 2005-6 997. I want a Tip as I'm one of those old farts who don't track or race and don't like to shift gears in traffic.

I have a choice between an 05 C2 or an 06 C4 with a price difference of ~$3K. The 05 has 44k miles and the 06 has 26k. Both are comparably equipped. The 06 is probably the better deal with lower mileage and I understand that engine problems have been resolved.

What I would like is your thoughts regarding AWD in fair weather climate. Is maintenance an issue? Is handling much different in normal driving?

Any other issues I should be concerned with?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Edited by bolobar

• Moderators

C2 and C4 are two different cars in drive ability (handling) maintenance and price, a test drive should give convince. I would go for a MY 06 or younger, if i was you, and walk (run) away from a MY 05. Just my opinion.

Would go for the C4. It's newer and lower miles and not an '05.Besides the C4 is actually a better deal based on the prices you quoted given it's only $ 3 k more. The '05 cars were troublesome to say the least. As for the drive-handling feel, I think you'll find it less responsive than the C2 and with a heavier feel to the steering but much more confidence inspiring due to the advantage of the all wheel drive if you want to toss it around at speed .In bad weather the C4 has a huge advantage particularly if it's got a set of PS2's on it as they're a great rain tire. Maintenance isn't any different and if you own the car long enough to wear out the CV joints more power to you. At my current rate of use it'll take me another 15 years to get to 100 K miles. Hell, I'll be too old to drive it by then and will be forced by the senior citizen police to trade it in on a new Buick. :D

Which ever car you choose have it checked out by a pro before you buy so you won't have any surprises after you get it home.

Well, I passed on the C4. It looked a little rough for the modest amount of miles on the car which started out in Florida. A car with only a few months left on warranty.

I decided on the 05 despite all the caveats. I bought the car from a Bay Area Porsche dealer and it is a CPO. Seal Gray, Bose, navigation and some lesser stuff.

I'm happy as I drove away in a car I'm going to really like and feel protected with the Certified Pre Owned warranty. Car values have really plummeted the last few months. With my 99 996 as a trade-in I wrote a check for $33,850 (9% sales tax in CA) and was out the door. They threw in a set of clear side markers. :)

I'm not sure why my05 is so negative. I never had a problem with my 99 which has been trashed brutally on this and other forums.

Well, I passed on the C4. It looked a little rough for the modest amount of miles on the car which started out in Florida. A car with only a few months left on warranty.

I decided on the 05 despite all the caveats. I bought the car from a Bay Area Porsche dealer and it is a CPO. Seal Gray, Bose, navigation and some lesser stuff.

I'm happy as I drove away in a car I'm going to really like and feel protected with the Certified Pre Owned warranty. Car values have really plummeted the last few months. With my 99 996 as a trade-in I wrote a check for $33,850 (9% sales tax in CA) and was out the door. They threw in a set of clear side markers. :)

I'm not sure why my05 is so negative. I never had a problem with my 99 which has been trashed brutally on this and other forums.

I have an '05 too. Porsche managed to make a terrific first-year car with relatively few issues, a challenge for any carmaker. But with reports floating around these boards of M96/M97 IMS failures, it's a depressing thought to spend $20k for a new motor in a low-mileage "premium" car. Since this is a go-to place for technical problems, you're likely to hear from most of the owners with an engine failure and internet connection. You're also likely not to hear from the people out there driving their cars trouble-free (unless they're asking about bodykits and carbon fiber bits for their dashboard... :D )

With conflicting claims of denied warranty claims and out-of-warranty grace on Porsche's part, it makes people anxious. What if? Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Enjoy the car and don't worry so much about what may come, and avail yourself of resources (your warranty, PCNA, etc.) if things go bad.

Of course, Murphy's law means I'll drive home and hear my bearing fail. Cross your fingers for me. :)

Don't you love it?

A guy asks for opinions, then does the opposite of what the contributors suggested.

Personally I would have gone for the '06 20K less miles , a newer car for only 3K more, seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I would not have had to ask anyone else about what I should do!

Don't you love it?

A guy asks for opinions, then does the opposite of what the contributors suggested.

Personally I would have gone for the '06 20K less miles , a newer car for only 3K more, seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I would not have had to ask anyone else about what I should do!

Thanks for your positive attitude and helpful comments. Did you read my previous post? There was a reason the '06 was only 3k more. It was a piece of crap but then again you probably would have bought it because it was newer and cheaper. I was mostly looking for AWD v RWD insight.

I'm 76 years of age, sonny, and I don't think I would have lasted this long if I took all advice, all the time.

Edited by bolobar

Don't you love it?

Thanks for your positive attitude and helpful comments. Did you read my previous post? There was a reason the '06 was only 3k more. It was a piece of crap but then again you probably would have bought it because it was newer and cheaper. I was mostly looking for AWD v RWD insight.

I'm 76 years of age, sonny, and I don't think I would have lasted this long if I took all advice, all the time.

I think you would have been right either way. I was a little anxious about going to the C4, but did it because of the winter rain conditions (no snow). I'm still getting used to the handling. Tough choice, but a win-win. I'm 62, and look forward having your choices. Cheers,

Definetly go for the 06. It has the upgraded engine parts. 05 was Porsches worst engine build year ever. Have had an engine blow up I would spend the extra cash and get the better engine.. I have seen 05's for sale that have had engine replacements. That would be an option because the replacement engine has the upgraded parts as well.

Good luck in your search!

I'm another 05 owner. Bought mine with 20K miles on it and now have about 34K. So far no issues. Despite the comments about the 2005's being more troublesome (and newer being better in general), I haven't seen any numbers that can really cite the difference. Congratulations on the purchase.

I have an '05 too. Porsche managed to make a terrific first-year car with relatively few issues, a challenge for any carmaker. But with reports floating around these boards of M96/M97 IMS failures, it's a depressing thought to spend $20k for a new motor in a low-mileage "premium" car. Since this is a go-to place for technical problems, you're likely to hear from most of the owners with an engine failure and internet connection. You're also likely not to hear from the people out there driving their cars trouble-free (unless they're asking about bodykits and carbon fiber bits for their dashboard... :D )

With conflicting claims of denied warranty claims and out-of-warranty grace on Porsche's part, it makes people anxious. What if? Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Enjoy the car and don't worry so much about what may come, and avail yourself of resources (your warranty, PCNA, etc.) if things go bad.

Of course, Murphy's law means I'll drive home and hear my bearing fail. Cross your fingers for me. :)

Same here. Have a 2005, 5sp with 38k on the odometer. I use it for my daily commute (90 miles total), mostly highway. I never go easy on my car. No issues whatsoever, except a few minor rattles around the dashboard area (depends on the road surface). I enjoy my car, that's all I can say and it's a blast to drive.