Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello,

I have a 04 Cayenne TT and when I turn at low speeds like when parking or in a parking lot maneuvering it shutters and clunks badly. At first I thought this was a CV joint. Possibly the inner or outer on both sides in the front but after having a friend drive slowly with the wheel turned I can see the whole front right CV/Drive Shaft will pop or jerk when turning. It's almost like a tooth or cog is skipping. I'm wondering if this is a stepper motor that needs to be replaced or is this something else? It's a constant pop, pop, pop at full steering lock and lessens when you straighten the wheel out.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Bill

This may sound crazy....I also had a popping when turning at slow speeds. Sounded very mechanical and serious. While it was still under warranty, I took it to the Porsche Dealer and asked them to fix it. After a short time the Porsche dealer said that they used two different tires on these Cayennes....I think one was Bridgestone and another brand ( Continental??). I was lucky enough to have the brand that caused this terrible noise when turning. I thought what you are probably thinking..No way that noise is just a tire...But they said it was common....But of course in true Porsche fashion, would not cover it under warranty! Since the tires were nearly shot at only 7500 miles, I replaced mine with a less "sticky" (harder rubber compound) Bridgestone and had an alignment done as they said it needed it at 7500 miles...Again, not covered.

Believe it or not, I have never heard that noise again.

Not sure if this is what you have, but sure sounds like the same noise I had under the same conditions. Seemed to be worse when weather was cold also.

Hope that helps?

DC

• 4 weeks later...

I do not mean to hijack but, should one expect to have a pulsing wheel (turn the wheel at a stand still) on some surfaces either slippery or really sticky? The older cars all did this especially the old fords with the slave cylinder...

I am not concerned with a pulsing wheel so long as the effort is constant...ie, pump not providing the assist as required.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if my problem is the same or different. I bought a CPO 2004 Cayenne. When I turn right into a driveway or around a corner with a large dip, it sounds like the scene in Titanic when the ship breaks apart. The first couple of times it scared the heck out of me. Sounded almost like I ran over the sidewalk and bottomed out. I am no mechanic, and this is my first Porsche, but when the dealer told me this was normal, I found it hard to believe. If anybody has any insight, please help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Any insights or updates to this thread?? Im having this problem now. It doesnt do it every time I turn, but when it does happen it doesnt matter how sharp or shallow a turn and then suddenly something seems to "pop" back in place and its fine again.. It happens maybe twice a week and its only my front passenger side wheel doing it. I just had my lower control arms replaced last week, newer front tires at full psi. I will get under there tomorrow if possible to check my tie rods, but until then any input would be great because it really feels like a CV joint and I really really dont wanna go thru that right now.

Thanks-

PS got a call from one of the lawyers handling the coolant pipe lawsuit.. Good Stuff :thankyou:

• 1 year later...

Since I only had this problem once a month or so I figured I would ignore it until it got worse, which brings us to today. I get the "shakey wheel - clunks" when turning or driving straight now at about 30 mph and the psm light flashes. Its not my cardan shaft -been there, done that. My tie rod bushing looks worn out and the car just started pulling to the right. My stepper motor ends with and A. It seems a lil more severe than a simple bushing and most people here are blaming the stepper.

Has anyone solved this problem by simply replacing the bushing or is my best bet to replace the stepper motor??

Thanks All!

Now every time I drive over 35mph I get a grinding popping sound as if the right tire is going to flop off.. It goes away when I hit the brake but comes back when I coast or accelerate. I also read a post talking about the differential and I hope that is not the problem.

If you have looked at it and can't determine the problem then have it inspected by a garage before the wheel does "flop" off. It could be a few diffenrent items at fault but I wouldn't recommend continue to driving the vehicle.

post-58823-0-91986500-1340676458_thumb.j

Yeah, its parked for sure.. I just crawled under there and found some bearing grease sprayed from the front drive shaft where it enters the center diff. Also, the shaft slides back and forth easily about an inch. I havent read any posts about front shaft bearing failure. I hope to get it towed to the shop this week or next but I'd hate to take it across town and discover its something I can do in a few hours.

• 2 months later...

My steering noises point to leaking o-rings in the power steering pump. 122,000 mi on a 2004 CTT. Seems a little early for a pump to fail but this is my first Porsche. Maybe "they all do that". I added fluid meanwhile and the noise thought to be the stepper motor on the transfer case has stopped. Fluid level was very low at one point, hoping it didn't get too low. So I'm getting the o-rings replaced before I do anything else.

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, Faceman said:

Just to follow up on my posts.  All the issues were bushing related.  Simple DIY stuff

Lol after 4 yrs updates. Hehe. 

Which bushings was it? 

I've had some low speed steering juddering which I'm pretty sure is inside the servotronic but it so random and does not affect any driving so I ignore the problem when it makes it. 

7 hours ago, lewisweller said:

Lol after 4 yrs updates. Hehe. 

Which bushings was it? 

I've had some low speed steering juddering which I'm pretty sure is inside the servotronic but it so random and does not affect any driving so I ignore the problem when it makes it. 

Haha yeah I may have been a little late in updating this. Tie rod, upper control arm and air strut rubber cap bushing. The air strut bushing was making most of the noise.