Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Proof of anti-lock brakes and airbags - What?

I'm venting here as much as asking for advice, so I apologize in advance. I just bought an 05 Boxster from a private party, and I went online to add this car to my insurance policy. I checked the boxes for airbag discount, antilock brake discount, and passive alarm. When my policy declaration showed up, the airbag and antilock brakes discounts had been removed. I called my insurance company, and they told me that I had to supply proof that these items had been added to the vehicle, either via the original window sticker, or from a dealer invoice showing that the work had been done. I argued that these items were standard equipment on all 05 Boxsters, but the person on the other end of the line would not deviate from her statement that it was incumbent upon me to provide proof of installation. I have not had to supply this proof for any other vehicle on which I receive these discounts including my 07 C4 or my former 06 CaymanS.

Now maybe I'm the fool here, but don't all 05 Boxsters come standard with these items? If yes, does anyone have any idea how I might supply proof? I don;t want to go to my dealer and request "proof" because he was competing to sell me a car which I did not buy. I told the voice on the phone to go online and look up the specs herself, but she said that it was up to me to provide proof. Thanks in advance.

Mike

• Admin

If it is a US/Canada car then the driver and passenger airbags are standard. The car also has a built-in rollbar.

The alarm was an option on some Boxster but almost all have it. Look for option 535 on the sticker under your front hood.

Frankly, your insurance company (and agent) should know better.

I'm venting here as much as asking for advice, so I apologize in advance. I just bought an 05 Boxster from a private party, and I went online to add this car to my insurance policy. I checked the boxes for airbag discount, antilock brake discount, and passive alarm. When my policy declaration showed up, the airbag and antilock brakes discounts had been removed. I called my insurance company, and they told me that I had to supply proof that these items had been added to the vehicle, either via the original window sticker, or from a dealer invoice showing that the work had been done. I argued that these items were standard equipment on all 05 Boxsters, but the person on the other end of the line would not deviate from her statement that it was incumbent upon me to provide proof of installation. I have not had to supply this proof for any other vehicle on which I receive these discounts including my 07 C4 or my former 06 CaymanS.

Now maybe I'm the fool here, but don't all 05 Boxsters come standard with these items? If yes, does anyone have any idea how I might supply proof? I don;t want to go to my dealer and request "proof" because he was competing to sell me a car which I did not buy. I told the voice on the phone to go online and look up the specs herself, but she said that it was up to me to provide proof. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike:

You have good reason to vent.

Funny how the insurance companies do all that research on the accident statistics and rankings for each car, but they are not capable of finding out what safety equipment is standard on certain models and years! :cursing:

Getting a sales brochure from that year might suffice as proof that the air bags were standard equipment. Otherwise, take photos of the the two door panels and of the steering wheel to show the little emblems/markings for the air bag locations.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

I think you should take a picture of your Porsche manual that states the car is equipped with ABS and air bags. What is this the 70's-80's when cars didn't come with air bags or ABS? Its a Porsche. You should also take some pictures and send it to her so she knows what she will never have. just kidding on that one. It is seriously amazing that these insurance companies hassle their customers like this. Is this a large insurance conglomerate? I would like to know so I never go with them. I use the Hartford. Very good service with them.

... I checked the boxes for airbag discount, antilock brake discount, and passive alarm. When my policy declaration showed up, the airbag and antilock brakes discounts had been removed. ...

They didn't ask for proof of the passive alarm?

Could it be that they don't actually have a discount for the airbags and ABS for this particular model year and vehicle? Maybe you're being fed the wrong reason for the "denial" of these potential discounts by an uniformed agent?

I looked at my policy (from USAA). I get an nearly insignificant discount for "passive restraint" (airbag) in my '03 986S. I don't get any discount for ABS or passive anti-theft/alarm. No discount for PSM, either, for that matter. The airbag discount was larger last year, so I expect it to drop off next year if the trend continues.

As for my '06 GMC pickup, I get a more substantive discount for the airbags, even though it only has them in the front, not front and side airbags like my Boxster. I think your head could explode if you try to rationalize some of the things that can affect rates, discounts, risk, etc.

--Brian

The 05 987 order guide (top of page under Documents) says the following:

Standard equipment includes:

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS).

Driver and passenger front and side airbags.

Immobilizer System with transponder system for safety protection.

Central locking with remote control.

among lots of other standard items. Maybe your insurance agent will accept the dealer order guide that shows they are standard features and not available as an option. I'm assuming you have a US model Boxster and not some gray market import

I suggest showing your dissatisfaction with their ineptitude by changing insurance carriers and insurance agents. I have State Farm and they have a database of features for every car model I have ever bought. They give me the safety discounts without me asking for them.