Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Subwoofer solution for Boxster?

The rear trunk has an engine in the way and the front trunk has a gas tank. I wouldn't be surprised if these bulkheads were also ever so slightly structural.

The most common areas for subs are the rear shelf, passenger footwell and under the seats

Wow - I think this is my first post... I really like the design of the subwoofer enclosure. I have the upgraded sound package in my '03 Boxster S so don't really have the option unless I wanted to rip out the rear speaker set or molest the door speakers. I instead opted to put a 12" Alpine Type R in the front trunk of the car running off a Kenwood mono block amp. I tapped into the existing subwoofer speaker wires coming from the stock amp in the front trunk and ran them into the Kenwood amplifier with amazing results. The only real issue I have is the air movement is so massive, it pushes the hood up due to the air tight seal of the trunk. Has anyone put a decent size sub in either the front or rear trunk? I'm assuming you had to do some sort of vent solution and would be curious how you did it.

There is already a vent in rear corner of the trunk. IMO, it's not a good idea to cut into the bulkhead.

The vents in the trunk have a louvered rubber baffle over them and may also be covered by the carpet. Perhaps if you cut out the carpet in that area it may provide you with more venting.

Regards, Maurice.

Wow - I think this is my first post... I really like the design of the subwoofer enclosure. I have the upgraded sound package in my '03 Boxster S so don't really have the option unless I wanted to rip out the rear speaker set or molest the door speakers. I instead opted to put a 12" Alpine Type R in the front trunk of the car running off a Kenwood mono block amp. I tapped into the existing subwoofer speaker wires coming from the stock amp in the front trunk and ran them into the Kenwood amplifier with amazing results. The only real issue I have is the air movement is so massive, it pushes the hood up due to the air tight seal of the trunk. Has anyone put a decent size sub in either the front or rear trunk? I'm assuming you had to do some sort of vent solution and would be curious how you did it.

There is already a vent in rear corner of the trunk. IMO, it's not a good idea to cut into the bulkhead.

The vents in the trunk have a louvered rubber baffle over them and may also be covered by the carpet. Perhaps if you cut out the carpet in that area it may provide you with more venting.

Regards, Maurice.

Nice - thanks! I think I'll give that a try. I found the louvered rubber baffle so will investigate this further as an option.

Seriously? Nobody has put a sub in the trunk of the car? I've searched the forums but can't find anything useful. Anyone? Please?

I just purchased the Boxster and haven't made any audio upgradess other than replacing the blown dash speakers. I like the idea of the rear shelf sub woofer and the upgraded door enclosures. I have a rear engine 12 cylinder Ferrari that I mounted an amp in the front bonnet of. The battery is already up there so it was a clean installation. A friend of mine with the same Ferrari actually mounted a 12" sub woofer up there along with the amp. I was amazed that it sounded as good as it did. There is no rear boot on the Fcar so the front bonnet is the only option. If you mount yours up front be sure to post some pics, I'd like to see how it comes out.

Kelly

• 5 months later...

Finally getting around to updating this post... So I ended-up keeping the rear enclosure (Bose) and adding a 10" Alpine TypeR to the passenger foot well. I happened to find a custom enclosure for a Boxster that fit nicely and allowed a decent size subwoofer. The music sounds incredible with this configuration and top down driving isn't a problem. The CDR-23 was replaced along with the 6 disc CD changer and stock amplifier. The new unit is a single DIN Kenwood with iPod, Bluetooth, USB and AUX inputs. I left the stock speakers in place and they are all wired directly to the head unit with the exception of the woofers; which are powered by a separate Kenwood amp located in the front trunk. The subs produce really great bass - tight and clean - with the 10" being the most noticeable.

Now onto the 911... ;)

• 2 months later...

Do you still make and sell the door pods and rear sub set up? I tried to log on to e-bay via your link but it didn't work. I just brough the Bose rear speaker/sub from a breakers yard for £75 but if your set up is better I'm interested. I have a vibrating noise from my passenger door with even minimal levels of bass so either the driver is shot or something is loose so need to opening it up and take a look. If its faulty I wanna stick a subwoofer of the same size that is better, or change to your set up and go 6.5" and have the bass coming from your other unit. jumpingjoe

• 2 months later...

All I did, was a buy a 986 Bose subwoofer system off of Ebay. I hard wired the subwoofer and speakers to my 986 harness. I don't have the subwoofer amped but I get what I like from the system. The stock 220 system boosts just enough power to drive the subwoofer and rear speakers. All you need to do is ballance the rear deck sub and speakers with the fader control. BOOM! It works.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I get my hands on a box like this can you contact me

Hello all,

I have been working on a subwoofer enclosure for some time now. I didn't want to use the passenger footwell area or the space behind the seats so I fit a 8" shallow sub from Pioneer (TS-SW841D) into an enclosure that is the same shape and size as the rear storage compartment. I have one installed in my Boxster receiving 200 watts and it sounds great. I will be putting one for sale on e-bay shortly as I know that quite a few of you Boxster owners want a better sounding system. I attached some pictures so you can see what i did. Also attached is a picture of some sealed enclosures that I made to fit some 6-1/2" speakers in my doors. What do you guys think?

Albert

• 2 months later...

Just a warning to everybody, and I hope it gets sorted out, but I ordered these enclosures almost three months ago. The seller was attentive at first, but after I made the payment, his responses were fewer and farther between until he just stopped responding. His last response was May 27. I never got the the enclosures. Maybe this helps someone else think twice before giving away their money.

Edited by skertchly

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a warning to everybody, and I hope it gets sorted out, but I ordered these enclosures almost three months ago. The seller was attentive at first, but after I made the payment, his responses were fewer and farther between until he just stopped responding. His last response was May 27. I never got the the enclosures. Maybe this helps someone else think twice before giving away their money.

Did you ever get this sorted out?

Did you ever get this sorted out?

I never heard back from the guy :cursing:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great information. I would appreciate information on purchasing your door enclosures. Are they a direct replacement for the factory ones? I was planning on replacing the front speakers with a component system from Pioneer, their Stage 4 set. In your opinion would this be appropriate? Any idea if they would fit due to the depth issue with the Boxster? Do you recommend something else for the doors and dash speakers?

I have a 2001 boxster and I recently added the rear speaker kit recomended here by many of the users.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird. He made me the sub box last year and was very easy to get a hold of. It did take a while for him to finish it up but it came out perfect. I never had any issues. Sorry that he fell off. His product was sweet!

• 1 month later...

I ordered a set of the door speaker boxes a year ago and have yet to receive them. He occasionally replies to my emails requesting a progress update, but I haven't heard from him in a few months. I even offered to let him off the hook if he would just refund my money, but he said he would find the time and complete my boxes. That was several months ago. Too bad, because they really look like a quality product.