Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Difference in Exhaust System between X50 and TT?

• Admin

There is nothing in the parts list that signifies the GT2 muffler is used for X50. The GT2 muffler is a different part number but I do not know the differences.

Oh... and my 1 year old price list shows it at $2869.42 not the $7000 he mentions. If it came off a GT2 then the part number should be 996 111 987 72.

There is nothing in the parts list that signifies the GT2 muffler is used for X50. The GT2 muffler is a different part number but I do not know the differences.

Oh... and my 1 year old price list shows it at $2869.42 not the $7000 he mentions. If it came off a GT2 then the part number should be 996 111 987 72.

Loren, is their a different part number for the x50 muffler vs the std TT?

PS this is the guys response to my question:

"Yes the X50/GT2 share the same exhaust, part number is 996 111 987 76"

Alex

Edited by Alex4747

• Admin

Well, 996 111 987 76 is not a valid part number in my Sept 2004 parts list. As I said the muffler listed for the GT2 only says GT2 next to it - no mention of X50. I've got a friend with an 2004 X50 I'll see if I can get him to crawl under the car and read the part number.

• Admin

Well, my friends X50 TT exhaust has 996 111 987 76 written on it (thanks Joe). So the GT2 uses 996 111 987 72 and a standard TT uses 996 111 027 75. I still don't know the difference between them or why the 76 is not in the parts list. Unless the 72 has been upgraded to the 76?

Perhaps the next parts list will show the change?

Well, my friends X50 TT exhaust has 996 111 987 76 written on it (thanks Joe). So the GT2 uses 996 111 987 72 and a standard TT uses 996 111 027 75. I still don't know the difference between them or why the 76 is not in the parts list. Unless the 72 has been upgraded to the 76?

Perhaps the next parts list will show the change?

I just checked my 2003 996 X50 and it reads 996 111 987 74. So I guess it would be obvious to at least conclude that the Std TT has a different exhaust than the GT2/X50 and a number of revisions have quite possibly been made to the GT2/X50 exhaust since 02 (e.g., 72, 74, 76). They seem to be related to the years/versions vs. whether or not GT2 or X50.

I know for a fact that the X50 has a more aggresive sound and is one of the items mentioned in the X50 package. If you find out something different, let me know. Thanks, Alex

• 1 year later...

I have a 2003 996 TT and bought a 2003 996 GT2 exhaust on ebay (for $300). The PN on GT2 exhaust is on the bottom and is 996 111 987 76. My original exhaust looks the same, but only has PNs on the heat shields. Here are my observations;

The GT2 exhaust is a bit louder and deeper in sound. The difference is slight inside the car, but more noticeable outside. I think it sounds very good now.

As I roll on the throttle, the turbos seem to come online a little quicker. Just a gut feel – I have no data to support this and it may just be my imagination because of the improved sound.

When you go to swap out your exhaust, bring a friend. These exhaust systems are crazy heavy! What were they thinking?

So, this swap is definitely worth a couple hundred bucks and a few hours of work. But if you have to spend more than that, go with an aftermarket system and take 50 pounds off the very back end of the car.

• 4 years later...

To improve the sound of my TT without sacrificing everyday use I picked up an X50 exhaust today. The problem is altough it is not mounted to my car I cannot find the part number okn it. You guys just crawl under it and see it so please...where is it engraved?

Thanks

Ronny

• 3 weeks later...

There are some stainless steel X50 headers on ebay (Australia) from time to time, they say they will fit the regular 996 turbo, which I have (MY2004).

I wonder if there would be any improvement (over the really cool stainless steel look).

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

DS

• 1 month later...

I did the exhaust change two weeks ago. The GT2 exhaust I added did not really make a difference. Both my and the mechanic thought it's a bit deeper in sound but just a nuance. Also the exhaust seems a bit lighter but we did not have an opportunity to weight it. Here is the story with pictures in my blog: http://porsche996turboblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/gt2-exhaust-change.html

• 2 weeks later...

The parts manual shows no difference between X50 and tt muffler: 996 111 987 74. The USA GT2 muffler is a different part number: 996 111 987 76, and the unsubstantiated info on it is that it has one less baffle than the X50/tt muffler. There is one listed on ebay for sale at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360349436077&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2454wt_1165.

Mike