Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking To Buy A 911, What Do You Guys Think Of This One?

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to purchase a 911, and the sadly the budget isn't huge!

I've been looking for a good deal for a while, but I think its best if I let you guys check it out and maybe even give me some advice..

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=38509212&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20081%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20567%26rd%3D100000%26mlgId%3D28863%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-yrId-mlgId%26zc%3D08873%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrId%3D20197%26yrId%3D20141%26yrId%3D20196%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

I spoke with these guys, they can do 13,500$ for this car... what do you guys think? I can go up to $19,500 for a really nice low mileage 99-02 ( I really love the 02, but can i find one in that price range?)

What do you guys say?

Also there is this one, http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=39046953&listingRecNum=6&criteria=prMx%3D24000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20081%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20567%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-yrId%26zc%3D08873%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrId%3D20142%26yrId%3D20197%26yrId%3D20141%26yrId%3D20196%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

Ive talked to a salesman he said he can do 19,750$, what do you guys think? Are the miles too high for that car and for that price?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. If you know someone selling a 911 in good condition in my price range, definitely let me know!

This is not a tough one. I really think you know which one you want, but I would get an out side opinion from a reliable person. 83k is not a lot of of miles if the car has been treated right and cared for. Have Fun!

Thanks Cefalu for the heads up!

lol goes to show how true the saying "if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.." is.

do you have an unlimited carfax option? think if i PMed you a few VINs of the vehicles im looking at, u can tell me a little about them? (including my current boxster :D)

thanks again everyone... im really thinking about the black one for 19,750$ really like the way it looks.. :S

Thanks Cefalu for the heads up!

lol goes to show how true the saying "if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.." is.

do you have an unlimited carfax option? think if i PMed you a few VINs of the vehicles im looking at, u can tell me a little about them? (including my current boxster biggrin.gif)

thanks again everyone... im really thinking about the black one for 19,750$ really like the way it looks.. :S

Carfax no longer has the unlimited option, I got a five pack and used them up. But I also have autocheck by experian which has a 2 month window.

Hey everyone,

so far it looks like I'm going for this one, http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=39292533&aff=national&CMP=usedInv

VIN: WP0AA2998XS627123 (if Cefalu or someone can maybe do a quick check for me helpsmilie.gif )

Does everyone approve? He sent me detailed pictures, looks pretty clean...

Also so its a C4 so i see a little more value in it then a C2?

Thanks!

Mk1 aerokits are beautiful, but I think you should buy the best example you can find. Your price cap is near the bottom of the market for a Mk1 996, which at best will be someone looking for a quick sale, and at worst will be a damaged, salvaged, and/or abused car. Aerokits can always be added later, and better examples might be found if you include cars that don't have the kit. You might also consider waiting a bit and putting together a little more cash to find a really pristine example, which I see out there in the $25k range.

No matter what, get a thorough PPI. I'd definitely want to put my hands on a 10-plus-year-old sports car before buying it. Too much risk of disappointment when it arrives on the trailer, sight unseen.

Good luck!

Mark

I think this is a good deal if the PPI comes out clean. I bought my 99 c4 almost 3 years ago now with the same mileage for 28k. So thats a good price to me!

The seller does not list a VIN anywhere on his ad.

Not to say it can't be done, but low miles for less than $20k will be a search. I just finished a similar search and can tell you your best bang for the buck will be a '99-2001. No way on the 2002 unless major issues. One advantage I hear about the '99's is they are the lightest and the simplest. More friendly for a DIY guy like me.

But I guess you have to define what low miles is. I just bought a 1999 996 cab for $21.5 with 56,000 miles which I considered low miles. I also wanted to get a 2002 for the newer headlights and the 3.6, but they are all around $27k and up. Mine is just a weekend car and I didn't feel like parting with the extra cash just for a few weekend here and there.

I looked at a 1999 cab with 84k miles the seller was asking $19.9 k. Very nice car and and had a suspension package he imported from Belgium, ($1,500) sport exhaust, and a brand new top with the glass window, brand new Michelin tires, tons of records and well maintained. He had spent nearly $10,000 in the last year on upgrades. But I didn't want that many miles. I also looked at a white '99 with 120k miles which was going for $14,900. I liked them all, but the 56k mile car was what I considered the best deal of the bunch.

There is one '99 on ebay for around $13k which looks very nice. But it has a blown trans. I have seen rebuilt exchange trans's for around $3k, and if you were handy that might work. R&R a trans is not a tough job.

How much does a PPI run roughly? $

Cefalu, the vin number for that vehicle is WP0AA2998XS627123 (he didn't post it on the ad, but emailed it to me).

Also, based on your guys advice on seeing something w/o the aero kit (even though it looks SO good with it cool.gif) I saw this one,

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=39663094&CMP=PrivatePartySIY (WAY LOWER MILES.. looks pretty good, what do you think?)

What's your email and I'll email the two reports.

I like the red one, it's a great deal. Hardtop included? But it's a tip and I wanted a 6 speed. I learned my lesson when I sold my first Porsche. people would ask is it a stick or auto. I would say it's a tip and then I would hear a "click". 911 Tips are fine for commuter cars, but you don't see too many people using them to commute, it seems they are mostly weekend cars which people want a 6 speed. But at the end of the day it's your preference.

Years ago when sports/exotic cars were expected to need a fair amount of maintenance, it was a common rule of thumb to have (at least) half the purchase price of the car in the bank, ready to be used for unexpected repairs. The parts & maintenance is still based you your car having cost $80k. Especially since you are looking for a minimally priced car, consider making sure you have the financial reserves in case something dramatic happens.

Yeah you're right. I have set aside some money for that. I'm also going to try and see if I can get an extended warranty.

I just have some money invested a new business thats why the budget for the car dropped sad.gif

I might might postpone the entire thing if a deal doesnt end up working out till I can cough up more $ for an 02+