Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to remove stripped drain plug?

:censored: Well, I went to change the oil and the drain plug is STRIPPED!!! I have a new plug that I am going to replace it with but I need to find a way to remove the stripped one. Obviously the previous owner didn't take any care in using proper torque reccomendations, etc. If I can just get it off I have a shiny new oil drain plug waiting to be used.

Any ideas???

Well, off to Lowe's to buy a new torx bit. Only problem is that I think the next size up is 10mm not 9mm. Very strange. Guess I will buy the 10.

ARRGGHH!!!! I really wanted to get this done so I could finish shooting the oil change video I promised another member. (obviously the stipped drain plug will be edited out :D )

While you are at the hardware you might look for a tool called an easy out. It's like a drill bit except it threads in backwards so as you are tightening it into the opening it is applying torque to remove the busted screw or plug in this case. When removing a busted bolt you first drill a hole for the easy out to go into. If you can find the right size easy out it might be easier than hammering a bit in.

Joe

• Moderators

A number X allen bit has no relationship to a same number X torx bit. The number might be the same. Nothing else.

The problem with drilling a hole for a very large easy out is. If the plug does not come out then you have an engine with no oil. If you have removed the oil with a drilled hole at the plug then you have no place to go.

• Moderators

Now that I think about it, Peter used a triple square bit to get out a drain bolt, not a torx bit. He showed me the plug with the bit still stuck in, because I asked him how he gets out an aluminum plug when the recess is rounded. It was not a plug from a Boxster/996 but some other Porsche aluminum plug. I even asked him about welding a nut onto the plug, but the problem is is the oil drain plug is aluminum.

As long as you can get some tool into the recess that will not spin under torque.

post-4-1100164572_thumb.jpg

What a pain. That's what always happens, isn't it? You think you're doing a nice 30min DIY job, and the something like this happens ...

Easiest way to solve the problem is to swallow your pride and just drop by at a friendly (!) Porsche dealer, possibly an independent. As they are dealing with this kind of stuff all the time, they seem to have a knack of getting these things out in no time at all.

I wouldn't touch one of these DIY "easy out" with a ten foot pole, because they are very brittle and like to break, and if one breaks in the plug, you really have a problem.

I'd go with TP's recommendation: Best thing is to sharpen a triple square (sharper edges than a torx) and hammer it in. Make sure the engine is warm before you do it. Because of the different thermal expansion coefficients, the alumin(i)um engine will expand more than the steel plug and the plug will be easier to get out.

Best of luck,

Uwe

Pride is being able to fix the situation yourself. It's not like I am performing rocket science here with a plug that is stripped.

The easy out worked great. I hammered that S.O.B. in nice and tight and attached an adjustsable wrench and used a breaker bar....VOILA! Oil change complete.

Video to follow..............

One step ahead of you TP. Just need to download of the camera.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!!!

I will post the picture of the strtipped plug as well as (hopefully) be done editing the oil change DIY video this afternoon so that is avail as well.

Cheers,

Dell

• 4 years later...

I had the same problem, I was able to get the bolt out using a black & decker screw extractor set, I had to cut the tip off the #5 bit in order to get it to grab. the bit was too long otherwise... It worked flawlessly and required no drilling or hammering...

These photos are of my oil drain plug from my Boxster 987, I replaced the drain plug with a drain plug from Pelican Parts, it was listed as a drain plug for 986 but it worked fine.

post-35171-1234819510_thumb.jpg

post-35171-1234819524_thumb.jpg

post-35171-1234819530_thumb.jpg

post-35171-1234819538_thumb.jpg

post-35171-1234819544_thumb.jpg

Edited by trunkmonkey
  • Upvote 1

Wow, this is one from the past.

Use some caution when dealing with a stripped drain plug as they are made of some pretty soft metal.

I was just finishing up an oil change and when I attempted to torque the bolt its head split. This happened before I was near the torque specs.

With half the bolt head broken off it makes getting the remainder off a little tricky. :)

post-6440-1234974293_thumb.jpg

Edited by aron in toronto

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Based on RFM's excellent recommendation we are suggesting that folks that do their own oil changes upgrade their oil drain plug to a stainless steel version of the drain plug.

The original version is aluminum and strips very easily so this stainless steel version should eliminate that from happening.

900.219.015.00 SS Drain Plug -- US MSRP $21.40 -- Sunset Imports price $12.80.

• Upvote 1

The thread in Oil change told us to use 37 ft-lb to tighten the drian plug. I think the key is to loosen the plug and the oil filter housing may be by 45 degree before we warm up the engine as Loren did. That may help to loose the plug and the filter housing. If we follow the torque and use a T50 torx that may make a difference and do not need to replace the Aluminum plug to steel. The aluminum plug has the advantage of protecting the engine pan thread. If we put excessive torque on the Plug, it will not strip our engine casting pan.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but this finally happened to me. For others that might see this, to keep the extractor in place (after beating it with a sledge {not recommended}), i used a floor jack and a block of wood to apply pressure and keep it in place as I turned it with my cresent wrench. What a nightmare! Had I resorted to the jack earlier in the process, it might have saved the engine some abuse... Good luck.

Here is a picture of the screw extractor hammered into the drain plug that was stripped.

• Upvote 1