Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best performance upgrade

Hi, what do you guys think will give more performance/value for money? A sports exhaust system or an ecu re-map?

It's 0n a 2001 Boxster 3.2s

Cheers.

An underdrive pulley (and belt) is quite well proven. Everything else in terms of bolt-on mods is black magic, IMHO.

I think neither ECU nor exhaust would give you much gain. Indeed people have lost power with those mods. You chuck a large sum of money at it to buy some hope, and when it's done, you generate your own power gain in your head. This is especially true for ECU mods. Great business model - get the customer to pay through the nose so that they would generate the satisfaction endorphin themselves.

Sorry about the pessimism.

Nonetheless, if you must do this, an exhaust system first, then a ECU customised to suit the new exhaust. (Of course these are just words. Most ECU "tuners" just mail you a pre-defined program. There is no real customisation to your own exhaust characteristics whatsoever).

Define performance. Is it added noise? Added acceleration? Added responsiveness? Added drive-ability? I wager each of us has a different definition.

Most mufflers do not deliver on their added HP claims. And many add noise at the cost of a drone at highway speeds that causes many to be quickly available on the used market as buyers retreat. One noted builder of high HP Boxster motors uses the stock muffler after dozens of dyno tests!

Most one-size-fits-all chip flashes do little but add a few hundred RPM to the redline (at some risk) and add a bit of additional sensitivity to your press of the accelerator (adding responsiveness and costing MPG). Good flashes are done after all other mods are done and are customized to the car's current state.

A summary of the go fast options I've been able to find is at My link

Jinster and Mike have confirmed everything I have read. I've only owned my 99 2.5 Boxster for 5 weeks. One of the first things I thought of, was having the ECU re-mapped and looking at new exhaust systems. But as I always do before I buy anything. Is, research, research and then research some more. What I found was. Unless you do other performance upgrades that necessitate the aforementioned upgrades. There is no point.

Randy

Roadrunner - you don't seem to be listening... What's good for a Celica does not work for a Porsche Boxster.

Its your money, but the answer(s) to your question has been answered by a couple of very experienced people.

I can see they have answered my question & i'm not knocking their knowledge, i was just stating that having four cats on the boxster must hold back a lot of power.

I have taken on whats been said.

Edited by roadrunner68

hi, I have 01 S, I did B$B header single cat in back and rased the fuel pressure a little and gained at the wheels (dyno tested) 12hp and 8 lbs torque. I also added a Porsche sporsts muffler better sound when wired open but I don't know about power gain. I think it was worth it.