Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator parts

Can anyone help me with the difference between the 996 and or the 997 Alternator parts or even the 987 for that matter.

Mine is 996.603.012.02

Can I use a 997.603.012.02 ?

What about 996.603.012.01 and 996.603.012.603?

Cant seem to locate a reasonable priced used unit with my part number but I can see lots of genuine OEM parts with other above numbers available this side of the pond on ebay.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Berny

Can anyone help me with the difference between the 996 and or the 997 Alternator parts or even the 987 for that matter.

Mine is 996.603.012.02

Can I use a 997.603.012.02 ?

What about 996.603.012.01 and 996.603.012.603?

Cant seem to locate a reasonable priced used unit with my part number but I can see lots of genuine OEM parts with other above numbers available this side of the pond on ebay.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Berny

Berny:

Not sure if you are aware, but the part numbers ending in .01 and .03 are just an earlier production and a later production version, respectively, of your part number ending in .02. (I am assuming the .603 is just a typo, and that you meant .o3)

When Porsche determines that it should (or wants to) change or revise the design of a part, it updates the part number with the next successive higher number.

For example the coolant caps are now ending in .04, where they started out with an ending in .00. The coolant cap does not appear obviously different externally, but apparently has changed on the inside.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

That's great info Maurice. I hope good news too as there are plenty of .03 parts available.

So I just basically need confirmation that the .03 part will defo fit in place of the .02 part. I would hate to order t up thinking I got a bargain and i dont fit ;)

Thanks

Berny

Hi Benny email me via "UK helicopter pilot .com" and I'll send you a copy of the PET parts catalogue for the 996. You'll need adobe reader to view it. It may shed some light on the differences in part numbers but the 01 02 03 thing doesn't always work like that in my experience. don't be too quick to buy the parts if you're not sure. Of course a friendly parts department will tell you over the phone.

BTW, not a typo. My part number is definitely 996.603.012.02

Benny:

The typo I was referring to in your first post is the one that reads ".603" at the end of the part number on the fourth line of your post. eek.gif

Looking at a parts diagram (for your 2000 911) under the "Electric" category, the alternator with your part number 996.603.012.02 is referred to as "Generator with Pulley Free Wheel Lock" and part number 996.603.012.03 is referred to as "Generator with Pulley Without Free Wheel Lock".

So, Porsche's traditional nomenclature doesn't seem to strictly apply here, unless the "Pulley Without Free Wheel Lock" is an "improved design".

It also appears that the various pulleys ("with free wheel lock" and "without free wheel lock") can be fitted onto the generator as separate parts as they are available separately. Perhaps you can use the original pulley set up from your old alternator and have it installed onto the new generator if necessary.

Perhaps someone else can clarify this apparent contradiction.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• Moderators

I assume the car is equipped with a BOSCH alternator, if you decide to buy a used one it is also recommended to compare the original BOSCH code #, which include encryption for alt.RPM/max.AMP output/voltage/direction/type of rotor/ external diameter, pulley etc., the code would be located on the body.

According to my PET and the Porscheoemparts.com site there is a difference between the alternator for a manual and a tip. You can put the part number in at the site and it will tell you which cars it fits and if it has been superseded. You can also enter the year, type etc. for your car and look up the part number. It does not have the illustrations for the parts like PET, but it is more up to date than my PET which it 4-5 years old.

Hi folks,

Just to let you know I bought and fitted a 997.603.012.03 alternator and all works fine. Cost me £85 from ebay, a far cry fro £975+20%VAT from Porsche! And their quoted 4 hours labour is a joke.

I found that when fitting the alternator if you screw the bolt in for the left arm first then use a piece of wood to lever the alternator down onto the arm it gos in like a dream. Took me about 1hr 20 minutes to fit.

Cheers and many thanks

Berny

Hi folks,

Just to let you know I bought and fitted a 997.603.012.03 alternator and all works fine. Cost me £85 from ebay, a far cry fro £975+20%VAT from Porsche! And their quoted 4 hours labour is a joke.

I found that when fitting the alternator if you screw the bolt in for the left arm first then use a piece of wood to lever the alternator down onto the arm it gos in like a dream. Took me about 1hr 20 minutes to fit.

Cheers and many thanks

Berny

Berny:

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Very satisfying!

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 months later...

Hi Benny email me via "UK helicopter pilot .com" and I'll send you a copy of the PET parts catalogue for the 996. You'll need adobe reader to view it. It may shed some light on the differences in part numbers but the 01 02 03 thing doesn't always work like that in my experience. don't be too quick to buy the parts if you're not sure. Of course a friendly parts department will tell you over the phone.

May i have the PET parts catalogue as well? Please

• Admin

May i have the PET parts catalogue as well? Please

You can download these for your model from the Porsche website.