Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBD Code Reader Recommendation

I have a 2002 986 Boxster S with a CHECK ENGINE light on. Engine still runs fine with no indication of a problem.

I would like to have my own OBD Engine Code reader but really can not determine which one is going to deliver the best results for a home user. I have researched and found one by Innova/Equus model 314 and one that uses my laptop DURA???? I would prefer one that is useable on more then one vehicle (Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, etc..) Live data would be a great feature also! :notworthy:

Certainly on that reads the most codes is preferable. I just wonder about the reporting of manufacturer specific codes as in the case of the Boxster DME 7.2 Engine Codes as well as the Fault texts.

I am curious about others in the forum that have experiance with these readers and the recomendations before I go out and purchase one.

Thanks!! :thankyou:

I have an actron 3150 for multi car stuff. It is a great OBD reader that does real time date and emmissions stuff, as well as anti-lock brakes on domestic cars. I have an older version od durametric for Porsche running on an old Thinkpad. For the rover I use tha Actron and have an ABS amigo as well. Ross-Tech makes the best VW aftermarket.

I bought my Actron at Sears, they run a sale about every other month or so.

Actron for engine/emissions on all cars. Used mine on 4 brands. Durametric s/w adds some Porsche specific stuff (see their web site) but more $$$.

But, for the Porsche, nothing is as complete as a factory PST2 used by dealers and Porsche-experienced independent mechanics or PIWIS that the dealers use as they add transmission and security codes plus are what is mentioned in the repair manuals.

• Admin

For quick jobs and ease of use I bought a bluetooth OBD 2 I/F and use my Android phone with an OBD 2 app called Torque.

The author does lots of updates and it is something you can literally carry in your pocket. Bluetooth OBD2 (under $50) and Torque software (about $5).

For the iPhone, I use GoPoint's GL-1 cable & GoLink app. Reads standard OBD2 data & supposedly throws up codes (haven't had any yet!). They also make CarBonga app which checks for TSB & recalls on your car.

There is an iPhone program - Dash Command, or something like that. But iPhone would only let you pair up a Wifi OBD2 reader - slightly more expensive than the bluetooth ones.