Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric?

Lots of people have them, including me. The only downsides are the online documentation doesn't tell you much about the codes or how to interpret the readings. I used the Durametric to troubleshoot a CEL and eventually found somebody on another forum who said my fuel adaptation readings were wacky and that meant the MAF sensor was bad. He was right too. Once I replaced it the fuel adaptation values went to basically normal. That made the Durametric worth it to me. It gave solid data to evaluate whether a repair made a difference. It also came in handy when I removed the passengeer seat to gain access for an alternator replacement and inadvertently set an airbag light. The Durametric can clear an airbag light.

I wish it would talk to the Tiptronic controller. It would be kind of handy to activate the Tip coolant control valve and to check the trans fluid temp.

FWIW unless there is another cable not shown, this will only talk to a 1996 993 or newer.

OBD II was not required by automakers until 1996. Porsche still had some diagnostic but not nearly as sophisticated as OBD II.

I know this. I was basically saying I don't see the round cable to do the other models it claims in the ad.

Loren are you talking about the real Durametric setup or this generic cable linked in the first post these guys are talking about? I have a Durametric pro kit as well, the generic ad above claims to do years that you need the round connector but its not shown in their pics.

There are enthusiast kits that have the round or the OBD2 plug. These kits only work with 3 VIN numbers

Then there is a pro kit, it has the round and OBD2 plugs. Unlimited VINs

The racing kit has the round, OBD2 and the factory race car plug.

I have the standard OBD2(?) on my 99 Box (the rectangular-ish plug). . I bought one of these things. Total $30 crap-shoot,, be surprised if it works. Does anybody know if it does work, will work as a standard OBC2 code reader for other cars with the sameOBC2 plug?

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

Have just found these online and have purchased one! will keep you posted if it operates correctly.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/444594125-Porsche-Durametric-Piwis-USB-Cable-OBDII-wholesalers.html

I didn't look at the link so I don't know if we're talking about the same unit. I have the genuine unit that cost about $300 from Pelican Parts. I don't want to give someone the impression that I'm advocating the knock off/counterfeit stuff.

Have just found these online and have purchased one! will keep you posted if it operates correctly.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/444594125-Porsche-Durametric-Piwis-USB-Cable-OBDII-wholesalers.html

I bought one off ebay in the UK & it works fine! I would have bough a genuine one but for the price, the features are limited compared with VCDS which I bought for VAG cars for a similar price.

I bought one off ebay in the UK & it works fine! I would have bough a genuine one but for the price, the features are limited compared with VCDS which I bought for VAG cars for a similar price.

Thanks for that 'stonedagain' Being a newbie'I'm also in the same boat and cant afford the $600/$700 for the genuine one ,The reason I'm buying this is 3 weeks ago Porsche centre in Cairns fixed my airbag warning light(said is was a dirty connector)at a cost of $310AU and now its back on when I rang and told them they said they would diagnose it again at another cost! and they wouldnt give me the original fault code.Also please excuse my ignorance but what is a VCDS? and VAG?

• Upvote 1

It is a VW/Audi diagnostic system.

Does that mean It won't work or radically is radically off in it.s diagnosis? My cars full of VW/Audi parts. I have the code-book and therefore never understood the need for a Durametric... as long as I can extract the codes Most seem to be pretty generic..

Regards, PK

• Moderators

Accoding to the people that make it (Ross-Tech), " Although Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG have taken steps to merge, Porsche still does diagnostics quite differently than VW so VCDS does not do OEM diagnostics on most Porsche systems. However, we've heard good things about Durametric's Diagnostic Tool for Porsche. "

The Durametric system will also give you access to most of the “proprietary code areas” in the DME that other OBD II systems cannot even see, much less deal with.

• 4 years later...

It seems like the Durametric software can be downloaded for free, no?

http://www.durametric.com/downloadv6.aspx

I too have a airbag warning light on as a result of removing the passenger seat to lubricate the rails. Should have disconnected the battery, but oh well, now I need to clear the fault. Can this be done with the downloaded version and a Bluetooth scanner?

Marcus

You will need the Durametric OBD2 cable to use the software (costs under $300, very cheap considering everything it does and holds its resale value).  You can clear the airbag fault using this.  You won't be able to do it without a PST2/PIWIS or Durametric.  Most generic bluetooth scanners like you are talking about cause more problems on these cars than they do good since they often give false signals as they do not know how to properly deal with the Porsche proprietary codes.

You want access to all the areas that yield diagnostic information, you buy from Durametric.

You want to try an older version of the same software with less capability (and more bugs and without support), buy the knock-off cables and download older versions. You'll get more than a generic code reader (if your cable works) but lots less than with the real Durametric and you'll not be encouraging Durametric in their efforts to bring even more capability.

Development of code to access areas where Porsche is not willing to divulge all its firmware secrets requires lots of time and effort and those cost money that they only get when you buy the real thing. This is real hard code that plays nice with hardware, not two hundred lines of HTML.

I say this as someone who used to manage a group that produced a software product that took millions a year to support let alone ten million to produce the first version.

scoeyoz the airbag light can be triggered by a seat belt buckle and also by corrosion of the wire ends where they mate to the controller. In the states, there was this Tech Service Bulletin. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/airbagwarninglighttsb

My '01 was in 4 times before it was finally fixed. Once before I owned it under warranty for one of the belts, once after it was mine for the other belt and then twice for the wiring. These last two were free after my dealer had failed to cure the problem on his first attempt.