Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mass Air Flow Sensor

• Admin

Had an interesting discussion with a Porsche parts contact yesterday...

He said that the 996.606.124.00 is still available for the 996 - but not for the Boxster. He said the Boxster must use the newer 996.606.125.01 and have the DME re-programmed. He did not know why.

I talk to a couple of dealership techs here and see if they know why or what the difference is.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the size of secure torx?

I beleive it is a T-20 Security Torx.

If you can't find it locally, then you can get one here for about $2.20 (LOL -- $10 minimum order).

trtorx.gif363TRL_Keys.htm_txt_36340sm.gif

Sears has a set Torx Security bits for short money:

Craftsman 6 pc. Bit Set, Torx Security ® $9.99

Sears item #00925702000 Mfr. model #25702

includes sizes T-10, T-13, T-20, T-25, T-27 and T-30

• Admin
Hi Loren, did you ever find out why the Boxster needs the DME update (doesnt affect me, '97 Boxster and just got a spare 123.00 MAF off of Ebay, just curious)?
I believe the Boxster DME update allows a non-egas car to use the egas MAF.

So if you are replacing the 123.00 (non egas) with the 124.00 (egas/superceded) or the 125.01 (egas), that is non egas MAF with egas MAF you need a DME update...? Or is the DME update only for egas cars going from 124.00 to 125.01?

• Admin

Okay after re-reading the TSB (1/00 2445 Air Flow Sensor -- dated 4-18-00)... 123 is still available for non-egas cars. 123 is used on no-egas Boxster and Carrera's (MY99 only).

124 to 125 is an egas update that requires a DME re-program.

• 5 weeks later...
Correct.

Hi Loren :

I'm a Porsche club member from Taiwan and read this article regarding about MAF issue , is this part need to replace after a period ? My car is '02 C2 Cab US spec and our club member also have '00 C4 , '01 996 T

If it is not so hard , then I prefer to DIY with necessary step to watch out

1) Disconnect battery ?

2) Replace or clean/ MAF ( if possible )

What other step should watch out ?

Thanks for your earilest reply , really appreciated.

KC :lol:

KC, I think you need to reread the thread (or maybe I do :) ). You both have egas cars so, if my reading of this thread is correct, and if you replace a older 124 with a newer 125 MAF sensor you will need to get the DME reprogrammed.

You might get lucky and be able to get the 124 part but I'll be surprised if it is available for much longer.

Edited by Paul Fraser

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have to reprogram the DME for the 996 if we change from 124 to the 125?

I do not see a TSB listed for the 996 regarding the Air Flow Sensor. When I called the dealer to ask, they were not aware of one and he said it would be automatically calibrated after about 1 hour of driving.

KC, I think you need to reread the thread (or maybe I do :) ). You both have egas cars so, if my reading of this thread is correct, and if you replace a older 124 with a newer 125 MAF sensor you will need to get the DME reprogrammed.

You might get lucky and be able to get the 124 part but I'll be surprised if it is available for much longer.

• 1 year later...

Loren,

Could you please tell me what the part number is for the grommits (6 and 11)?

Thanks in advance!

need a pic of where and how to replace MAF.

Thanks in advance

carrera_maf.gif

Unplug the sensor (Item 3 is the sensor). Remove the two T20 security Torx screws (Item 4). Replace the sensor and tighten screws. Plug electrical connection back in.

I just had the same problem on my brother's 2000 C4. See the attached. The button is on the underside.

Hey guys,

I have the button on the bottom side of the MAF sensor as shown in the picture. Is there some sort of trick to get it off? Just press the botton and remove? Press upward (toward trunk lid) or Press downward (toward air cleaner)?

I haven't been able to get it to budge. Perhaps some sort of small explosive? :huh:

Joe

Edited by Sky_King