Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight finish issues

Hi,

I've just noticed that the surface finish of my 2004 C2 996 headlights have a bunch of rough spots, and in areas almost looks like a surface coating is peeling away. Any advice on how to fix this issue and restore my headlights?

thanks,

SImon

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those will clean up just fine. My process is to dry sand then wet sand. Final step is polish and re-clear. The kits in the store will work pretty well. The failure point of the kits is the sealant or coating. It will not last very long. Once you abrade off the factory UV coating it will yellow and haze eventually. I use actual clear coat on my clients lights...and my own 996. Give the kits a try.

I would promptly refinish the headlights and put a clear bra type product on it that shields it from UV. i had Premier clear bra guys refinish my headlight and do a cover. There are other pre-cut solutions available.

My 996 has just had the second refinish and I am very pleased. Take them out and go to a really good body shop that specializes in high end cars and have them tell you how thay would refinish them. They need to polish them, then fine polish to a near perfect and smooth finish and then the most important part is to have them clear coated just as it came to you new. I had them polished and did not have them clear coated - nobody told me to - and within 3 - 4 months they were in the same condition and you can only polish them a few times. Do it right the first time and use a professional body shop so as to get the clear coat done properly. The best thing you can do is to raise hell with anybody and everybody at the NTSB and maybe they can get the OEM people to offer replacement lens at a reasonable price instead of having to do the polish or worse yet, replacing the complete assembly. This will continue to be a problem until manufacturers and made to change a terrible product. Surely they love the resell especially Porsche which gets near $5000 for a new set. Look around at all the cars out there with this problem and 98 percent of them are going to do nothing about it. Ed ibay@earthlink.net

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old post.  Have the same issue on an 2014 model.   I applied some tape to my headlights to "protect" them during a DE event.  Removing the tape after the event apparently lifted off sections of the UV coating so now I have multiple defects across the headlights.  Will the sanding kits remove the remaining coating so that I can apply a real clearbra or Xpel type product?  Thanks.

Resurrecting an old post.  Have the same issue on an 2014 model.   I applied some tape to my headlights to "protect" them during a DE event.  Removing the tape after the event apparently lifted off sections of the UV coating so now I have multiple defects across the headlights.  Will the sanding kits remove the remaining coating so that I can apply a real clearbra or Xpel type product?  Thanks.

How about your warranty?

• 2 years later...

Again resurrecting this old post:  I've just noticed this happening to my C4$ headlights.

What is the point of this UV coating?  It appears to be coming off near the top of both headlights.  55k miles on the car.

Does it really matter, other than it obviously looks pretty bad?  Both headlights appear to be functioning correctly.

Is this worth bothering with?  What happens if the headlights are simply left alone?  

Thanks in advance for any answers.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, judgejon said:

Again resurrecting this old post:  I've just noticed this happening to my C4$ headlights.

What is the point of this UV coating?  It appears to be coming off near the top of both headlights.  55k miles on the car.

Does it really matter, other than it obviously looks pretty bad?  Both headlights appear to be functioning correctly.

Is this worth bothering with?  What happens if the headlights are simply left alone?

Thanks in advance for any answers. 

Without the UV coating, the lenses will fog or become milky over time from the effect of sunlight  on the plastic.

The longer you wait, the harder it will be to refinish them and worse they will get.  A good marine store will have the best products for slowing the deterioration of your finish if you want to do nothing. 

If you want to refinish them, I would vote for the 3M lens kit WITH TRIZACT technology.  I've worked extensively with the these pads in the past and they are outstanding for glass and plastic  polishing (I work in the optics industry). 

• 4 months later...