Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm currently doing a lot of basic service on my Turbo, and I have a really straightforward question: is there a fuel filter on this vehicle, and if there is, what is the recommendation for replacing it?

Thanks

It's located in a module above the main fuel pump located in the fuel tank. Access is via an inspection panel under the left rear passenger seat. You can purchase a VDO replacement from WorldPac for $110.00 CDN I think.

I don't believe there is a recommended replacement schedule. With fuel-injection, the fuel filters can last forever if you always get high quality clean gasoline, or can fail 5 minutes after you put one in if you get a tank of crap. I can't recall hearing of one on the Cayenne plugging up, although I'm sure it has happened.

Assuming your Cayenne is a 2006 or earlier model, It's not a trivial thing to replace (I don't know how the 2008 models are done.) There are a lot of hoses/wires going to it inside the tank (it is the thru-tank connector for the fuel pump on that side) and it requires R&R of the other side, which is the fuel-pressure-regulator (due to the hoses). The filter and FPR are held in with a rotating locking ring that requires a special tool to remove/replace (some people DO it with a hammer and dull screwdriver - but that isn't really a recommended way), and it also calls for new gaskets for both when they're removed/replaced. It also requires removal of the seat-belt bracket in the rear seat and cutting the carpeting under the seat to access it.

The good old days of two hose clamps and replace a filter are unfortunately - long gone (although Porsche does make it exceptionally interesting to replace - BMW ones I've replaced are much simpler to do..)

Oh - suggestion, adding your name, location, and year/model of your P!G in your sig is useful since we then don't have to guess about what model/year/version your truck is.. like right below here:

Edited by deilenberger

Thanks for the info, I was expecting it to be much easier than that. My thinking is with 200K kms on it, it should be part of the preventative maintenance I am doing to keep things trouble free.

What do you think - would you undertake the work with no obvious symptoms?

Never assume they changed the filter with pump replacement. I have replaced many fuel pumps and various make over the years and you'd be shocked at the garbage I've found in tanks. I just replaced a plugged fuel filter that caused a drivability problem on a fuel injected vehicle that only had 118,000 kms on the clock.

I changed my Cayenne filter at 120,000 kms for piece of mind. It's really not difficult at all to fit a new unit.

• 9 months later...

That's one ugly looking filter. ****, now I'm probably going to do that too. Although both original fuel pumps on a '06 CTTS at 67K??? Maybe I should wait for one of the fuel pumps to go. Decisions, decisions.

No that uncommon. In Dubai all cayennes change fuel filters every 20000 km, due to dirty fuel, they start having problems iddling.

Different experience from mine; I have had 1 filter change in 182,000 km of cayenne ownership in Dubai. Filter changed on my 2005 turbo at around 130,000 km when I had a fuel pump failure and I am now at 96,000 km on the GTS without a filter change. I've also never had any other fuel related problems.

Edited by mcbit500

• 2 weeks later...

Had fuel pumps changed recently along with fuel filter. The 2005 CS is at around 85Kms. I don't know if the fuel filter has been changed before. Here is a pic of how dirty it is (by looking at the gloves). From the picture, looks like fuel enters the filter assembly from the two fuel pumps into the two "side" nozzle things on the yellowish "cap" and comes out one outlet that is in the middle of the cap. From what I have seen by just googling, I don't think you can buy the filter element by itself... just the whole assembly.

post-88071-0-81169000-1370283253_thumb.j

The residue on the gloves is actually darker than the photo shows.

Edited by Ricky1

• 2 years later...

Can I just purchase the fuel filter element and replace that? Is it the same as the element in a touareg/Q7? What is the reason the entire fuel filter housing needs to be replaced? Also is the VW part number (7L6127434) the same as what's used inside the Cayenne filter assembly?  thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I just did both fuel pumps FPR and Filter.  The Pelican tutorial is very good, and you do not need any special tool.  The retainer ring is very easy to remove with a few taps with a screwdriver and hammer.  The sealing ring is difficult to seat with little room.  Just make sure your fuel lines are zip tied up out of the way of the fuel gauge bobber.  I did not do that and had to go back in to allow it to raise all the way.  Not hard to do.  The carpet has pre-cuts to follow as well.  Just be sure and have all windows and doors open for air and unplug the battery after you disable the suspension control, (pull the fuse) unless your on a perfectly level location.  When I plugged my battery in, my suspension was way out of whack.  That took 100 times longer to fix than the fuel pump replacement.